By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog wants to change the industry by rising above the 'idiot plot'

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

saving the same princess for the 4000 time is a better plot than indiana jones plot?

Mario isn't a story-driven game. People play it for just the gameplay, hardly anyone gives a shit about the story.

Attempt at being a smart alec = FAIL.

Around the Network

I'm playing a character in a game, it might be that character would do something I wouldn't, that's the point. If I wanted to play as myself I'd go outside. Pointless PR quotes to keep attention on their game. Had Molyneux said this, you lot would be ripping him to bits

Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

saving the same princess for the 4000 time is a better plot than indiana jones plot?

Mario isn't a story-driven game. People play it for just the gameplay, hardly anyone gives a shit about the story.

Implying no one could play uncharted for the gameplay?  Was Uncharted story a masterpeice of all ages? no, BUT what it did do was grip the player in a way very vew games have todate.

Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:

Quoted for the truth. Nobody was talking about Mario. Just a cheap and really pathetic trolling attempt.

Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:

The only Fail I see here is someone talking about gameplay when the discussion is on the plot.

Around the Network
Fireforgey said:
riderz13371 said:
RazorDragon said:

You have never even played Uncharted, try to be less obvious bro. Welcome to VGChartz.

I myself have never played it, but I watched it on Youtube.  And....Yes, it was Indiana Jones.  I only wantched number one though but was underwhelmed. Not sure what people see in it.

Fireforgey you actually made me facepalm lol

think-man said:
Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:

The only Fail I see here is someone talking about gameplay when the discussion is on the plot.

And if the discussion is about the plot why bring Mario here? can we compare it to Gran Turismo? the only reason you don't see the fail is because you are a Sony fan like him.

I totally agree.

Most dont realise that videogames is the best venue there is for storytelling. It can tell more complex and longer stories than a movie, and it doesnt take years and years to go through like TV series, nor does it require running through the pages of a book. On top of all that it contains also visual and audio stimuli, it allows you to immerse yourself in a totally strange new world.

In short, its why i like games. Story is always an important part of it for me.

Gribble said:

What are people not understanding about what Naughty Dog stand for and are attempting to achieve? A good story rests ENTIRELY on the characters involved. Without the emotional connection to the characters the story falls apart because it simply becomes a sequence of events that leads to a conclusion. When you focus on the character's personalities, those events gain meaning because you 'understand' and 'feel' how the character (in this case you) must be feeling whilst experiencing that event. When playing a game, all we ever feel is excitement and the fear of not surviving the following sequence. That might sound great, but it's NOT good story telling. What you need is to be in the characters shoes and imagine how he must feel and how it would change his character for better or worse. When you shoot a guy in the head in COD, you don't feel guilt, you just think it's cool that you can do that, but if you have invested heavily in the character, and understand his/her mindset, then there's another dimension to explore. Does he/she feel remorse, guilt, trauma, joy ... ? And if the developer has done their job well, you'll feel exactly what the narrative wants you to feel, which then enables the devs to take you on an internal journey and not just an external journey. They can make you feel guilt; they can make you cry; they can make you genuinely grieve. This is what Naughty Dog are striving for and it's what every great movie director achieves. The idiot plot is for kids.

I fully see that. That makes it worse, than he looks into a problem of the plot-device 'idiot plot' as he explained it in the interview. Because that plot-device is avoided in most nonlinear games, so that would be no new accomplishment for gaming. Gaming has bad stories, but he focuses on something that is not important.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Play4Fun said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:

Even uncharted is played for the gameplay, and it is not bad at it. Nobody plays really Uncharted for the story, because if you really look at it, it is much worse than any movie-plot, not even talking about books. It is better story than in other games, but that doesn't really means much.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]