By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog wants to change the industry by rising above the 'idiot plot'

I totally admire ND.

The last studio that tried to raise the bar of storytelling above what has been happening in the genre for over a decade, above ridiculously cliched and worn out story paterns is Square Enix with FF XIII.

And just like ND, Toriyama and Kitase were the ones with the right to do something like that since they also had the game to back up their audacity to change things, which was Final Fantasy X.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
JinxRake said:

3. The story of the Uncharted games...
What's there to say. Just found a book in the bookshop completely copying the main outline of Uncharted 3 and the cover was exactly the plane crash scene from the game. So even writers seem to have taken notice. Not that I believe that book would have been worth the money to get it, but I'm just saying.
Also, I've read quite a few books a lot worse than the Uncharted stories, both in terms of pacing, as in characters or plot devices instituted. Need an example? Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller. Read better one. Seen better films. Seen worse films. You can't really say that it's a whole lot worse than some medium or another because honestly all mediums of entertainment are mostly comprised of crap.
 Give the story props for what it does and what it wishes to be. It tries at least, which is a bit more than other games do.

I agree with the last sentence. And you compare Uncharted with bad books - sure, there is bad stuff out there. But Uncharted has one of the best stories in gaming. So you really should compare it to the best books and movies regarding story. Think yourself: you take a video of a playthrough. Not edited, because it is the experience of the story as you will have it while playing. Now showing this video in a cinema and then a showing of say the first Indiana Jones (similar genre, action and so on, so it could be comparable). Would anyone claim the Uncharted-video has a better story? That's what I mean: games - even the best ones in this regard - are far behind movies and even more behind books in terms of the story. And yes, it is a good thing that Naughty Dog tries to become better at that.

I'm afraid I disagree on that bit, quite severely even.

I mentioned Morrowind in my previous post. That game has a great story. It is a fantasy adventure set against the backdrop of one of the most beautiful fantasy worlds ever conceived, with some of the best world building available in almost any format. Its story is absolutely fantastic and it invites to exploration and discovery. It won't force feed you anything, but it does rival some of the best works out there. I am as ready to believe in the island of Morrowind as I am to believe in the Discworld, the Malazan Empire, Westeros or even in New Crobuzon.

Same would go for Final Fantasy IX for example, for Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Legacy of Kain...heck, even Ace Combat 5 I'd log in there without shame.

I don't believe games are behind books or films in regards to telling a compelling story, but rather that games have a completely different way of getting the story across to the people playing. The scale of events is generally different between mediums. While Starcraft can have a great story about the three races as they try to survive and overcome their difficulties, the Starcraft books can concentrate on grounded characters and the horrors of the Zerg and their invasion, giving a ground level eye witness view of the whole thing.

Which is superior? Neither, as they both get a message across, each in its way or form.

As I said and I repeat: most of our entertainment is made up of pure crap that needs to be explored for the gems that may hide.

There will be games with great stories and some people will not even know they have been told a great story because the cues are not as clear as some would require.

There will be books with great action and great worlds presented, and some will not know that either because there will be no pictures.

Such is the way of entertainment. You can't please everyone.

Mnementh said:
riderz13371 said:

To clarify what he meant by parallelism in storytelling, Minkoff explained, "There's a cinematic term called an 'idiot plot.' An idiot plot is when a character makes a choice that the audience wouldn't make. It's like, don't go through that door! And it's very important to us that we do it right, that we make you - every moment - buy into what the characters are feeling and make you feel the same way."

Simple solution: make the game nonlinear, so that the gamer CAN decide to not go through this door.

The game isn't as linear as Uncharted but then again it's not an open world game. You can choose to do things like go away from the main story missions to scavenge for materials, ammo etc. There are also many ways you can approach a mission and many ways in which you can approach enemies. Whether you choose to sneak by quietly, take them out one by one quietly or go in there guns blazing, it's all up to the player.

Proclus said:
If it's going to be as terrible as Uncharted, no thanks.

And yes, I've played Uncharted, deal with it.

The reviews and multiple awards (Uncharted 2 over 200 awards) seem to say otherwise. The best series of all time, OF ALL TIME!!!!GET OUT

Proclus said:
If it's going to be as terrible as Uncharted, no thanks.

And yes, I've played Uncharted, deal with it.

Try harder! As if anyone here expects to see anything positive from you about a game on a Sony console!!

Around the Network

ND is probably my favorite studio ever and I love the Uncharted games, but that did sound a bit arrogant. Maybe it was taken out of context or something. I really didn't like how he said "they can learn from us" I mean sure they're one of the best but they need to stay grounded.

teigaga said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Somini said:
They already have done so with Uncharted to be honest. A lot of games that i have seen/played after Uncharted 2 especially have elements borrowed from the series. Just take a good look at the trailers and gameplay videos for the new Lara Croft game or Dead Space 2 and 3's cinematic moments among others.

Star Wars 1313 is a next gen carbon copy of Uncharted. It wont be the first game and certainly wont be the last.

I love the fact that its ripped uncharted's cinematic story telling (the best in the industry), but would of hoped to have seen it implemented into a more unique gameplay system. 

Yeah, everytime Sony makes a trend setting game Lucas Arts is always scoping it out. They copied God of War with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as well and so did EA with Dantes Inferno. After they dropped The Force Unleashed they ripped Uncharted. LOL Lucas Arts love Sony!

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

I totally admire ND.

The last studio that tried to raise the bar of storytelling above what has been happening in the genre for over a decade, above ridiculously cliched and worn out story paterns is Square Enix with FF XIII.

And just like ND, Toriyama and Kitase were the ones with the right to do something like that since they also had the game to back up their audacity to change things, which was Final Fantasy X.

Toriyama and Kitase were cool, but when Sakaguchi san left FF fell apart. He's the reason Final Fantasy existed and when he left it all fell apart. Talented developers are leaving their greedy publishers and old beloved franchises are getting worse because of it.

Based on the Uncharted series, no they are talking out of their ass. Set pieces, yes certainly, but the story hasn't changed a single thing in gaming.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
teigaga said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Somini said:
They already have done so with Uncharted to be honest. A lot of games that i have seen/played after Uncharted 2 especially have elements borrowed from the series. Just take a good look at the trailers and gameplay videos for the new Lara Croft game or Dead Space 2 and 3's cinematic moments among others.

Star Wars 1313 is a next gen carbon copy of Uncharted. It wont be the first game and certainly wont be the last.

I love the fact that its ripped uncharted's cinematic story telling (the best in the industry), but would of hoped to have seen it implemented into a more unique gameplay system. 

Yeah, everytime Sony makes a trend setting game Lucas Arts is always scoping it out. They copied God of War with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as well and so did EA with Dantes Inferno. After they dropped The Force Unleashed they ripped Uncharted. LOL Lucas Arts love Sony!

Their CEO comes in "and for our next game we have to take a good look at Sony's new game TLOS. Look good and copy everything you like in there." :D