By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog wants to change the industry by rising above the 'idiot plot'

riderz13371 said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

You have never even played Uncharted, try to be less obvious bro. Welcome to VGChartz.

I myself have never played it, but I watched it on Youtube.  And....Yes, it was Indiana Jones.  I only wantched number one though but was underwhelmed. Not sure what people see in it.

Around the Network
Metrium said:

They sound so arrogant. Try being less arrogant and focus on making your interactive movies more like games. Uncharted 3 was a fiasco imo. If other devs are making ''idiot plot'' well ND are making ''idiot gameplay''... well atleast 1/3 or their games are, 2/3 are cinematics/cutscenes/quick timed events.

Keep being arrogant like that and I may reconsider the next time I'll want to buy one of your 60$ DvD.

Edit: Just to be clear, I enjoyed the UC series alot. But those kind of arrogant comments rly grind my gears. The industry is not stucked wit ''idiotic plots''. They are ALOT of games with great story, such as Mass Effect and Arkham City, but I don't hear Bioware or Rocksteady making comments making them sound like they are claiming to be the messiahs of game story telling and atleast these guys don't forget that they are making games despite the fact that they still manage to have storys just as strong. Calling the industry on ''idiot plots'' is so exaggerated that I feel like also exaggerating with my comment.

The interactive film quality to Uncharted is definitely a chosen style, so its not really a negative IMO. More just a case of personal preference. Especially within the limits of this gen, you have to pick between the scripted events or complete player control, you can't have both, its only right we get some games which favour the scripted events. I also think they do a brilliant job of making players feel as if they're in control during those massive set pieces.

Bad narrative/story telling however is not an intentional style (unless used for humour) and is most definitely a negative. If the industry really wasn't having a problem with quality story telling, everyone on this forum would (off the top of their head) would be able to name a dozen games in the last 2 years where story truly shines.

Fireforgey said:
riderz13371 said:
RazorDragon said:
But before rising above the idiot plot, they should rise above the Indiana Jones plot.

You have never even played Uncharted, try to be less obvious bro. Welcome to VGChartz.

I myself have never played it, but I watched it on Youtube.  And....Yes, it was Indiana Jones.  I only wantched number one though but was underwhelmed. Not sure what people see in it.

Why bother commenting if you obviously never played the games especially never got over the first one.

YOU see, THIS IS A GAME, right, the point is to PLAY it. but hey thats just how I see it... what a troll comment pal :P

riderz13371 said:

To clarify what he meant by parallelism in storytelling, Minkoff explained, "There's a cinematic term called an 'idiot plot.' An idiot plot is when a character makes a choice that the audience wouldn't make. It's like, don't go through that door! And it's very important to us that we do it right, that we make you - every moment - buy into what the characters are feeling and make you feel the same way."

Simple solution: make the game nonlinear, so that the gamer CAN decide to not go through this door.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
RazorDragon said:

saving the same princess for the 4000 time is a better plot than indiana jones plot?

Naturally not and i don't think the comment of RazorDragon was serious, only poking fun. But to speak serious: no game has a good plot. If we say: 'Oh this game had a great plot' we really mean that the story was better than usual. But compared to movies and even more so books the stories of games are really bad. That's why movies based on games are usually that horrible. Games have something, movies and books never have: interactivity. That is great, but it makes it really hard to tell a proper story. The player can make his own pace for starters and destroys that way the pace you intended for the story.

That's why I entered this thread, because I'm interested what devs make with this problem. 'idiot plot' sounded offending enough, so I thought that he might be on something. But as he used and explained it - as term for the character does something else than the watcher - it is something many games already solved. Nonlinear games often give you the choice to do it your way. So this specific problem he talks about is nonexistant for many games. And I feel letdown, because he talks about something different than I expected.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network

Thank you Naughty Gods! Its like every game I play is filled with idiot plots.

Metrium said:
Not on AAA games. Some have better stories than others, but the vast majority of today's AAA games have some focus on story. I think nowadays it is easier to name a AAA game that has at the very least a ''good'' story than it is for those that have bad stories. Unless they are a racing or fighting games, if a AAA game has a bad story it's usualy getting destroyed by reviews and by fans. Most can't launch a game with a bad story anymore and be successfull.

Sorry no, even AAA-games have a bad story. They seem to have good stories - compared with other games. But try to tell the story as a movie or a book. Not another story based on the universe, no tell the story of the game. That way you can see, all these games so far have a bad story. But they have interactivity, as long as that works fine I notice but not complain about the story.

But maybe we have not long, until story-telling in movies comes down to the niveau of games. Prometheus - shudder.

What are people not understanding about what Naughty Dog stand for and are attempting to achieve? A good story rests ENTIRELY on the characters involved. Without the emotional connection to the characters the story falls apart because it simply becomes a sequence of events that leads to a conclusion. When you focus on the character's personalities, those events gain meaning because you 'understand' and 'feel' how the character (in this case you) must be feeling whilst experiencing that event. When playing a game, all we ever feel is excitement and the fear of not surviving the following sequence. That might sound great, but it's NOT good story telling. What you need is to be in the characters shoes and imagine how he must feel and how it would change his character for better or worse. When you shoot a guy in the head in COD, you don't feel guilt, you just think it's cool that you can do that, but if you have invested heavily in the character, and understand his/her mindset, then there's another dimension to explore. Does he/she feel remorse, guilt, trauma, joy ... ? And if the developer has done their job well, you'll feel exactly what the narrative wants you to feel, which then enables the devs to take you on an internal journey and not just an external journey. They can make you feel guilt; they can make you cry; they can make you genuinely grieve. This is what Naughty Dog are striving for and it's what every great movie director achieves. The idiot plot is for kids.

But movies with idiot plot frequently have higher profits than those that don't.

People may criticise ND's Uncharted games for being linear and heavily scripted, but it is the attraction to the characters that really makes the game special. Of course, we have to ignore the mass murder, but the graphics, writing and animations just draw you in so much that you don't notice any issues with the games, you just want to spend more time with these characters

I don't like horror games, but I am going to play the Last of Us, because I know Naughty Dog know how to craft a great story and the gameplay does look decent....