By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 24.00%

A Link to the Past 10 40.00%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 12.00%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 16.00%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.00%

Other 1 4.00%

Total:25
HoloDust said:
zeldaring said:

I'm gonna get my hands on it soon. I actually just bought Elden ring as well and TOTK although i have to wait for my nephew to finish it then he will let me hold his switch. I'm not hyped for zelda cause really i got used to ps5 graphics and all my games are 60fps, but i feel its my duty to play all the highest rated games and he is selling his switch right after i finish with it. how would you compare it to Elden ring? pros and cons.

Personally, I don't care that much for graphics, I'm more of an art style type of guy when it comes to visuals - and I mostly like how TotK looks like. Sure, Switch is showing its hardware weakness, especially when you're playing on big 4K TV, but it's not a big deal (I still have Wii hooked up to the same TV, so go figure).

I can't really compare TotK and Elden Ring - there is a trend, particularly in last 10 or so years, to compare open world games, as if it's a genre on its own, when in reality even games that are supposed to tackle the same "problem" are just superfluously similar - like TotK and ER.

As for Elden Ring, it is mostly what From "promised", Souls in open world environment. I liked it quite a bit, though I'd take any Souls over it, since what I like the most in Souls is their intricate level designs - honestly I was even a bit disappointment for first 10 or so hours in ER regarding that, but it gets progressively better, to the point that you get to go to one of the best ever places that From ever made. There's plenty of room for improvement in potential sequel, but the ground work is done exceptionally well. Oh, and Elden Ring's visuals are feast for eyes - its art style and panoramas are often paint-alike and breathtaking.

I'm playing old Nintendo games, and  super street fighter 2 turbo on my laptop at work, So it's not a big deal. I got the ps4 version  of Elden ring so i can play it locked at 60fps on PS5. I'm also not the biggest fan of open world i feel like Bloodborn, LTTP and Sikero are perfection when it comes to level design and size fo the world. you can do everything with getting being burnt out, but i wanna see what all the hype is about with both games.

Around the Network

Got through the prologue and I'm now exploring the Great Sky Island with the ultrahand and fusion abilities so far ...

The atmosphere and the music really painted a dreary moment until I got to the corpse of Ganondorf. Surprisingly enough, the events in-game are depicted differently than the first trailer we got of the game back in 2019.

Anywoo, really love the landscape of the Sky region so far. Can't wait to get into it again tonight !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Finally doing stuff in Korok Forest besides ridding the Great Deku Tree of Gloom.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

I like when it's pitch black in games - I remember Gothic 1 had pitch black nights, and me running around from one camp to the other with just a torch, trying not to stray away from the path - cause the night is dark, and full of terrors. When you have such environments, it forces you to spend resources to get where you need to go - that's why I feel seeds are too abundant, I never really felt that I'm anywhere near to worry about them.

Miners set does look cool, but personally I would've make it that it gives off more light and spends some resource, most likely Deep Fireflies.

Comes down to different playstyles I suppose; I do like resource management, I just feel like I would've explored the depths less if I'd felt like my seeds were always in short supply.

I often like wearing the miner's set just for the cool glow, so I like that it's limitless in duration but balanced by being quite short range.

Different strokes for differents folks I guess.

Yeah, I find some sort of resource management to be important part for games that have lot of exploration - IMO, it always should be about risk vs reward, and part of that risk is using your resources and finding nothing much once you get there. Depths have that feel, at least initially, that's why I wished there was less of those seeds around.

I like when BotW/TotK kept me on my toes - like when you get into cold or hot environment and you don't have proper outfit for it, it forces you to spend resources (either food or elixirs) to survive there. Personally, I would like for much more internal consistency in game world and having other aspects having similar resource depletion mechanism.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Comes down to different playstyles I suppose; I do like resource management, I just feel like I would've explored the depths less if I'd felt like my seeds were always in short supply.

I often like wearing the miner's set just for the cool glow, so I like that it's limitless in duration but balanced by being quite short range.

Different strokes for differents folks I guess.

Yeah, I find some sort of resource management to be important part for games that have lot of exploration - IMO, it always should be about risk vs reward, and part of that risk is using your resources and finding nothing much once you get there. Depths have that feel, at least initially, that's why I wished there was less of those seeds around.

I like when BotW/TotK kept me on my toes - like when you get into cold or hot environment and you don't have proper outfit for it, it forces you to spend resources (either food or elixirs) to survive there. Personally, I would like for much more internal consistency in game world and having other aspects having similar resource depletion mechanism.

See I feel like what you're describing would've been too frustrating for my tastes. Always having to stop exploring the depths because I was constantly running out of seeds to light my way, that would just be annoying to me.

That's why clothes exist to permanently solve the temperature problem for example, because while managing my elixirs is interesting for a bit, it would get tiresome if I had to do it every time I entered a cold area for hundreds of hours of playtime.

We had this discussion before, and the level of physical consistency you seem to be asking for is an extremely tall order for even current gen consoles much less the Switch, the amount of work that's already gone into making TOTK's systems as consistent as they are is already blowing away experienced developers.

I mean, I agree that it would be super cool to see in a game, but it's also asking for a miracle.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 June 2023

Around the Network

High level combat

https://youtu.be/Tww18Kdb14k

Wyrdness said:

High level combat

And this is not using any glitches. The combat in these games can be simple or it can be the most complex in any game. It is your call.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 07 June 2023

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

See I feel like what you're describing would've been too frustrating for my tastes. Always having to stop exploring the depths because I was constantly running out of seeds to light my way, that would just be annoying to me.

That's why clothes exist to permanently solve the temperature problem for example, because while managing my elixirs is interesting for a bit, it would get tiresome if I had to do it every time I entered a cold area for hundreds of hours of playtime.

We had this discussion before, and the level of physical consistency you seem to be asking for is an extremely tall order for even current gen consoles much less the Switch, the amount of work that's already gone into making TOTK's systems as consistent as they are is already blowing away experienced developers.

I mean, I agree that it would be super cool to see in a game, but it's also asking for a miracle.

Oh, physics consistency is whole another topic, I was thinking of resource depletion specifically when mentioning internal consistency.

I get that lot of people don't like messing too much with that, but for me that is one of the pillars of exploration games. Some devs decide to incorporate none of the mechanisms, some just a few (like BotW/TotK has), and some right about everything. In the end it mostly boils down to what their target audience is. Personally, I think that both BotW and TotK could've had some more of that (like "Magic" not being completely free and some others I might talk about in the future), but that's me.

Kakadu18 said:
Wyrdness said:

High level combat

And this is not using any glitches. The combat in these games can be simple ir it can be the most complex in any game. It is your call.

Isn't that a low gravity area so the 99% of the time the combat isn't actually like that? 

zeldaring said:
Kakadu18 said:

And this is not using any glitches. The combat in these games can be simple ir it can be the most complex in any game. It is your call.

Isn't that a low gravity area so the 99% of the time the combat isn't actually like that? 

The video features several fights and none of them are in low gravity areas. Combat can be exactly like that if you're good enough. Same was with BotW.

Also look at this (menu stuff was edited out to make it look cooler): https://youtu.be/O_L2v0CWbPQ