By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Demo Opinions: MGR: Revengeance and Dead Space 3

Tagged games:

SecondWar said:
arcane_chaos said:
the MGSR was pretty average(still getting it though) they need to make blocking(or parrying as the call it) easier; it was a pain in the ass when fighting that robotic saw dog

dl'ed the dead space demo but haven't played it(getting it also)

That was another problem I had with the demo. I couldn't beat that that thing without losing a large amount of health, and then there was no way to regain health and the game doesn't have any health regeneration. So I then had to die in the next fight so I could get a full health bar to ahve any chance of progressing further.

I can understand why in some games health regeneration doesn't fit in, but you have to have some way to replenish it.

they give a semi way to regain health; if you use you AR vision at the beginning of the fight you find one of the nano things that restore you health(you can find about 3-4 prior to the fight if you're lucky enough not to use them) also if you use your blade mode on the normal foot soldiers and cut them just below the torso it will give you a qte which Raiden with rip their nano spine and fully restore your health and blade mode gauge.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Where people actually expecting something good from MGR, like a true AAA MGS game? I mean, this comes from the same team, who made that overrated garbage that was Bayoneta

Yeah ok...

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:

I can't stand this brand of faux "horror" action gaming. It's the equivalent of Saw movies and Texas Chansaw massacre.

Spoken like a true survival horror fan (though I disagree about Dead Space 1 & 2, enjoyed them a lot, if not for mainly the story). The game-play, while decent, is another matter, as I prefer more restrictions to my horror.

That said, I haven't tried either demo, but the more I hear of Dead Space 3's full game (micro-transactions, few extra PC options, less linear environment), the more concerned I've become. Still gonna pick it up, but with much more reservation than I had with DS2.

It's not just the lack of horror that bugs me about Dead Space. Its the total lack of exploration, meets scripted "BOO!" events and trigger points, meets dynamically adjusting ammo drops depending if you suck or not and many other things... Story is actually pretty good.

Let's not blame plantiumgames entirely here, I am sure who ever was gonna handle the project would've been restricted by Kojima's vision for the game. *Vanquish 4life*

Cub said:
Let's not blame plantiumgames entirely here, I am sure who ever was gonna handle the project would've been restricted by Kojima's vision for the game. *Vanquish 4life*

More like budget restrictions at play here.

Around the Network

MGS rising demo was bleh, not really close to bayonetta, the good devil may crys or ninja gaiden.  The cutting idea was cool, but is ruined by absolutely dreadful physics, everything falls worse than a ps2 game.

Dead Space 3 demo was pretty interesting. The weapon component bench is pretty damn cool, but can still fail because it changes a core mechanic in dead space.

The story seems interesting so hopefully it will finish up the isaac story. The boss fights were pretty cool like the drill (Which Dead Space 2 lacked). The change of scenery I actually liked, because I didn't really feel another one with only dark space corridors was necessary. The new alien baddies were pretty awesome. But the humans weren't unless the were getting posessed. The music was too cinematic.

The microtransactions are aweful and unecessary and a terrible idea however that is not in the demo :P, it depends on how much they bombard you with ads in the game though, If you can turn it off in the options menu so you dont see anthing breaking immersion then I wouldn't care at all. Granted I don't think that's going to happen

Despite all this, I'm more excited than I initially was for Dead Space 3 because it's interesting (though it could completely fail). I thought Dead Space 1 and 2 were pretty much what I wanted from those games and a 3rd was unecessary. Now, I'm excited to atleast see what happens and the dismemberment is still quite fun.

MGS: R was unique in my opinion. The cutting physicals are fantastic and something that other game engines could take note. Also anyone notice the massive graphical scale down in order to run at 60 fps? The game just doesn't look that great, and I'm thinking it was make like that on purpose because the Hack/slash genre works better with a smoother frame. Gameplay was fun, but could see it get repetitive. Story sounded meh. Not into MGS but seriously... Who actually understands all the PMC PTV stuff????

I couldn't finish the Dead Space 3 demo. I went into it feeling very apprehensive and I left even more so as well as disappointed. They've taken the great isolation-horror element from the first game and mainstreamed it with a touch of unimpressive gameplay. Felt tedious to play, hope it tanks honestly so EA can stop ruining good franchises.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

kowenicki said:
hunter_alien said:
Where people actually expecting something good from MGR, like a true AAA MGS game? I mean, this comes from the same team, who made that overrated garbage that was Bayoneta

Bayonetta was great and a lot better than than this awkward messy attempt.

I havent played the MGR demo, so I cant say for sure. But if its worse than Bayoneta, than it will be terrible IMO.

Gameplay wise there was no major issue with B, it just felt like a total ripoff, with an added touch of oversexualized Japanese fantasy flick. While you can say the same about the old DMC, at least it was first in a market that was dominated by male gamers, and it didnt feel like the whole sexual lure was for the sake of popularity.

Also, as much as I like the feeling of the MGS games, the truth is that I was never a huge fan of the convulted story or the rigid gameplay. I always like Splinter Cell more, from a gameplay perspective. MGR looks like a lot of new-wave Japanese games: a new gameplay style, slapt on an old IP, just so they can secure some sales...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I thought the Dead Space 3 demo wasn't too bad, though I'm not getting my hopes up. Before I could download the demo for MGR my roommate told me It was a waste of memory and time(he is a big fan of MG and hack'n'slash games) so I think Il skip it.

MGR was quite awkward to play and less varied in combo length compared to the DmC demo. It relies too much on the cut mechanics and I found myself bored trying to figure out how much I could cut the mech-like characters. There is no evade button either, even though Raiden is a cyborg This is when I brought myself back to the basics and actually used the tutorial, thinking it would be the same as all the other hack n slash titles. I will see what the full version is like because they could've fixed some things, but Platinum (as much as I like them) tend to leave little things out that matter even though 90% of their game is spot on. The most interesting thing that I can say I've found in the game is that you can combine the horizontal and vertical attacks with the cut option. I got from one hundred to three hundred plus cuts.  Do not play this game like the others with its deceptive overpowering looks, it requires more caution and if you have caution you will own NPC's in this game. Parry, block and run around when all else fails if you parry you will have the upper hand for sure.

Notice: Do not let your guard down on the first boss. It's entrance is a rude awakening to how hard the rest of the game will be. This game is going to be a really hard (even game even on normal settings for some). Be proactive and learn to parry since the dodging is not available.

There is a lot of promise in this game. Its changed the way I look at hack n slash. Perhaps I might use this proactive style in my next DmC and GOW3 playthrough.

-

P.S.

Don't let the bulk of my post decieve you. I know this is a demo and I also know Platinum will tweak their game. I can expect robust movesets from them. I want to know what their evasion techniques will be like. Will it be like Bayonetta where time stands still when you evade fast enough or will you just gain style points for the evasion towards your overall score? This game feels like it will feature a lot of risk meets reward type situations.