By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VIII lovers, who wants a remake?

Tagged games:

Remake?

Yep 73 76.84%

Nop 22 23.16%

Total:95
happydolphin said:
I'm really surprised by the responses.

I think it's just because of who you're asking.  If you're asking people who love FF VIII, chances are they played it at the time and so are more accepting of playing it today.  So a remake is neither here nor there, at least personally.  I'd buy it and probably enjoy it if it came out, but I'm more than happy to play the original game instead.  I'd rather Square Enix spent the time making modern Final Fantasy games feel more like FF VIII, rather than remaking it.

@ the reply before, perhaps respect was the wrong word.  I didn't mean to imply they'd be disrespecting it by remaking it, just that a lot of the charm comes from when it was made, and a big modern-day super-crystal-tools-engine hyped up FF VIII just isn't what I want to see.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

I think it's just because of who you're asking.  If you're asking people who love FF VIII, chances are they played it at the time and so are more accepting of playing it today.  So a remake is neither here nor there, at least personally.  I'd buy it and probably enjoy it if it came out, but I'm more than happy to play the original game instead.  I'd rather Square Enix spent the time making modern Final Fantasy games feel more like FF VIII, rather than remaking it.

@ the reply before, perhaps respect was the wrong word.  I didn't mean to imply they'd be disrespecting it by remaking it, just that a lot of the charm comes from when it was made, and a big modern-day super-crystal-tools-engine hyped up FF VIII just isn't what I want to see.

It doesn't have to be hyped up though, it doesn't even have to be crystal tools, it could just be FFX-quality. Even that would be an improvement.

FFI and FFIV are games that I find they don't age badly. I can't say the same about FFVIII.

About SE resources, etc. read my reply to badge, SE has always made remakes since the PSX era (FF Origins, Chronicles, etc. etc.)

happydolphin said:

Them being slow at making their mainline games doesn't have much to do with remakes. They've made tons of remakes in the past while the main entries were being made, it shouldn't be there that the problem lies. They have an obvious management issue, and that's the root problem.

What were those remakes, though? Basically NES and SNES games brought up to DS (essentially PS1) standards. In order for a remake of a PS1 game to be worthwhile, they'd have to make it on par with XIII/Versus. Which means it would take for-fucking-ever.

happydolphin said:

It doesn't have to be hyped up though, it doesn't even have to be crystal tools, it could just be FFX-quality. Even that would be an improvement.

FFI and FFIV are games that I find they don't age badly. I can't say the same about FFVIII.

About SE resources, etc. read my reply to badge, SE has always made remakes since the PSX era (FF Origins, Chronicles, etc. etc.)

Yeah.  Let's just say I disagree.  Even if they spent barely-any-resources making it, that's still some resources I'd rather they spent doing something else.  Look to FF VIII as an exercise of what made their games so popular during the fifth gen, and leave it there.  

I can see you feel quite strongly about this though, but it was a thread asking for opinions and I've given mine, so I'll leave it there :P

Yes please! A FFVIII and FFIX remake bundle would be awesome!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

The gameplay is one of the best... the story not so much.

badgenome said:
happydolphin said:

Them being slow at making their mainline games doesn't have much to do with remakes. They've made tons of remakes in the past while the main entries were being made, it shouldn't be there that the problem lies. They have an obvious management issue, and that's the root problem.

What were those remakes, though? Basically NES and SNES games brought up to DS (essentially PS1) standards. In order for a remake of a PS1 game to be worthwhile, they'd have to make it on par with XIII/Versus. Which means it would take for-fucking-ever.

Well, during the PS1 days, they remade NES games to SNES levels. That's probs a similar ratio of effort as PSX to PS2 level would be today, amiright?

All I'm sayin' is they've always made em'.

happydolphin said:
Xxain said:
Im sorry. I cant stand anybody request a remake of a classic based solely being shallow. FF8 is still as great as it was a decade ago. That goes for all FF's.

Are you saying that asking for new graphics is shallow? That's shallow. They are video games man, sometimes visuals matter, and loading times too.

It's not shallow, I just have a great memory of the game but I have new  standards, I evolved with the industry.

And funny you say that, I'm currently playing FFI on the NES and am ok with its visuals, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

@badge, what you frowning at? oO

But why would you hold to these standards while playing a 14 year old game that released 2 generations ago? And yes it is shallow. SE has shown to be highly incapable of getting FF's out in timely matter..unless it involves lighting in some way. They have FF14, VS, and X all in limbo. They dont need another FF in pipeline for years especially if its wasting resources solely on a graphical remake. Wild Arms: Alter Code F is still the ultimate example of remake. That wasnt a enhanced port. They remade EVERYTHING from the ground up: Updated graphics, rewrote the whole entire script with added stuff they had to exclude the first time, Battle system redone, Music redone, added 3 new characters, more optional sides and bosses and new post game content. Thats resources used wisely. Thats a remake thats worth it. If they want to do something with FF8 I'd ratherdo FF8-2 

Xxain said:

But why would you hold to these standards while playing a 14 year old game that released 2 generations ago? And yes it is shallow. SE has shown to be highly incapable of getting FF's out in timely matter..unless it involves lighting in some way. They have FF14, VS, and X all in limbo. They dont need another FF in pipeline for years especially if its wasting resources solely on a graphical remake. Wild Arms: Alter Code F is still the ultimate example of remake. That wasnt a enhanced port. They remade EVERYTHING from the ground up: Updated graphics, rewrote the whole entire script with added stuff they had to exclude the first time, Battle system redone, Music redone, added 3 new characters, more optional sides and bosses and new post game content. Thats resources used wisely. Thats a remake thats worth it. If they want to do something with FF8 I'd ratherdo FF8-2 

Wait, you just said that Wild Arms: Alter Code F is a wise remake, including graphics, yet FF8 is not?

I think you're full of it.

Edit: About standards, the basic term used in the industry is graphics that age well, and graphics that don't. Some here said that FFVIII aged better than FFVII, it's just s judgement call on how visually appealing a game remains over time, despite technological upgrades over time. In my tastes, FFI endures the test of time, FFII doesn't, FFIV does, FFV doesn't (my tastes), FFIX does, FFVIII doesn't.

I will say Ragnorak is still the best ship in a Final Fantasy game.