By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VIII lovers, who wants a remake?

Tagged games:

Remake?

Yep 73 76.84%

Nop 22 23.16%

Total:95
Xxain said:
Im sorry. I cant stand anybody request a remake of a classic based solely being shallow. FF8 is still as great as it was a decade ago. That goes for all FF's.

Are you saying that asking for new graphics is shallow? That's shallow. They are video games man, sometimes visuals matter, and loading times too.

It's not shallow, I just have a great memory of the game but I have new  standards, I evolved with the industry.

And funny you say that, I'm currently playing FFI on the NES and am ok with its visuals, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

@badge, what you frowning at? oO

Around the Network

It's my favorite game with deus ex.

Imo it looks fine on PC with higher resolution mods. The PSX version had slightly worse character models and some vertices end up weird when scaled to 1080p.

If it got enough support, people could actually redo the backgrounds like people have done with some FFVII pc mods. etc.

But a lot of the Dialogue is cheesy and videogamey, and would come off way cheesier than anything in FFXIII or Kingdom hearts with VA's which the remake would have, the text makes it fine and awesome, but it would make the game way worse having VA's.

Definitely not, unless you rewrote the whole script, in which case I'd rather them just make a new game.

happydolphin said:

@badge, what you frowning at? oO

The thought of slow ass Square spending the next generation remaking FF8 instead of one of the good FFs or, better yet, making something entirely new.

ishiki said:

Imo it looks fine on PC with higher resolution mods. The PSX version had slightly worse character models and some vertices end up weird when scaled to 1080p.

But a lot of the Dialogue is cheesy and videogamey, and would come off way cheesier than anything in FFXIII or Kingdom hearts, the text makes it fine and awesome, but it would make the game way worse having VA's.

Definitely not, unless you rewrote the whole script, in which case I'd rather them just make a new game.

They reworked the script for FFIV DS and I found they did a great job of retaining the original meaning but actually making it sound normal.

happydolphin said:
ishiki said:

But a lot of the Dialogue is cheesy and videogamey, and would come off way cheesier than anything in FFXIII or Kingdom hearts, the text makes it fine and awesome, but it would make the game way worse having VA's.

They reworked the script for FFIV DS and I found they did a great job of retaining the original meaning but actually making it sound normal.

I Personally thought the VA's sounded aweful, and the character models were a craptacular version of FFIX's. I like the original version of 4 much better. But I know lots of people like it.

Around the Network

No, I don't really think it needs it.

I love FF VIII to pieces (my second favourite game ever!) and I genuinely believe it's still perfectly playable to this day. Heck, I still find the CGI cutscenes fantastic to watch.

Remakes of PS1 era games take a lot more effort than just up-ressing a PS2 era game, and for something like FF VIII I just don't think it's worth it.

VII gets a lot hype for being remade, and I can understand that better. I mean, the characters don't even have discernible hands. Cloud is mostly just some jagged purple with even more jagged blonde hair. Although, again, I still don't think it needs remaking, it's in a lot more need of it than VIII.

My final point is just that it's part of the charm. I mean, yeah, by today's standards it is incredibly jagged and everything, but I dunno. It's from that era and I'm happy to respect it as such. Plus, I'm not sure I trust the Square-Enix of today with remaking ANYTHING =/

I still get chills from watching this! Although a lot of that comes from Uematsu's genius score.

ishiki said:

I Personally thought it sounded aweful, and the character models were a craptacular version of FFIX's. I like the original version of 4 much better.

That's strange, I was of the opinion that the person who adapted the script to more modern standards had done a fantastic job of it, and was definitely very versed in english.

The graphics is another story, I was just talking about script.

@kresnik. I don't know why the word respect is there. It's not a disrespect. I see FFX or FFXIII even, and I see FFVIII, and I just see a perfect fit.

Forget about the cost and all that, I'm just asking who has that on their wish-list like I do. And as for re-makes, SE have been doing a great job with them this far, why the worry?

I'm really surprised by the responses.

Would love to see one, but I don't think it will ever happen. VII would have to go first and be successful.

badgenome said:

The thought of slow ass Square spending the next generation remaking FF8 instead of one of the good FFs or, better yet, making something entirely new.

Them being slow at making their mainline games doesn't have much to do with remakes. They've made tons of remakes in the past while the main entries were being made, it shouldn't be there that the problem lies. They have an obvious management issue, and that's the root problem.