By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai says Sony is on track for a comeback

Wander_ said:
Sony: innovation

Samsung: imitation

Fact. I always say the Same to apple haters who run to Samsung. Apple innovate Samsung Imitiate 

Around the Network

TV is running out of room to evolve. Thinner is tapped out, as they are, most people really dont benefit if you reduced an inch or two even. Bigger is out. As it is, the ideal room size is beyond the typical buyer's living room for the biggest TVs. Now granularity can get infinitely smaller depending on the technology, but the media requiring such small pixels is ages away. Case in point, the more hi def your computer monitor, the smaller the window screen when you play that movie or display that picture. Yes there is technology to upscale to fit...but it makes for an ugly picture.

Sony has to compete with Samsung because most TVs sold will not be 4k TVs any time soon. Sony forcing its studios to produce 4k quality movies for home is an expense they might not recoup if 4k fails to achieve economy of scale. TV is in a bloody red sea battle, it's just not pretty.

As far as normal management change goes, the incoming usually and decisively takes huge writeoffs during their first year. Blame it on the old guy for all this, and take credit for thr "improved" financial conditions. The only hurdle he does have is Sony's mountain of debt might have covenants and restrictions on what he can do. You writeoff or write down too much, your loan goes in default. So he may not have as much freedom as your typical Knight to the rescue.

Remember when IBM wisely got out of hardware business and became a service company? That was as much foresight as any big companies have demonstrated in recent memory. They chose to get out of the red sea. Sony doesn't as of now have a product line that doesnt already have competitors.

Can Sony turn this around on sheer will? I doubt it. Innovation is most likely their only savior.

Steve Jobs via Pixar, then again @ Apple repeatedly innovated. Almost miraculously..ipod, iphone, ipad, just amazing blue oceans they pioneered. Can Sony innovate and have global appeal? As a long time Sony buyer, I certainly hope so.

kowenicki said:
Tarumon said:
TV is running out of room to evolve. Thinner is tapped out, as they are, most people really dont benefit if you reduced an inch or two even. Bigger is out. As it is, the ideal room size is beyond the typical buyer's living room for the biggest TVs. Now granularity can get infinitely smaller depending on the technology, but the media requiring such small pixels is ages away. Case in point, the more hi def your computer monitor, the smaller the window screen when you play that movie or display that picture. Yes there is technology to upscale to fit...but it makes for an ugly picture.

Sony has to compete with Samsung because most TVs sold will not be 4k TVs any time soon. Sony forcing its studios to produce 4k quality movies for home is an expense they might not recoup if 4k fails to achieve economy of scale. TV is in a bloody red sea battle, it's just not pretty.

As far as normal management change goes, the incoming usually and decisively takes huge writeoffs during their first year. Blame it on the old guy for all this, and take credit for thr "improved" financial conditions. The only hurdle he does have is Sony's mountain of debt might have covenants and restrictions on what he can do. You writeoff or write down too much, your loan goes in default. So he may not have as much freedom as your typical Knight to the rescue.

Remember when IBM wisely got out of hardware business and became a service company? That was as much foresight as any big companies have demonstrated in recent memory. They chose to get out of the red sea. Sony doesn't as of now have a product line that doesnt already have competitors.

Can Sony turn this around on sheer will? I doubt it. Innovation is most likely their only savior.

Steve Jobs via Pixar, then again @ Apple repeatedly innovated. Almost miraculously..ipod, iphone, ipad, just amazing blue oceans they pioneered. Can Sony innovate and have global appeal? As a long time Sony buyer, I certainly hope so.

Very, very good post. 

I second the praise. Very eloquently put I must add.

Sounds like a ballsy statement to me. I'd say that sounds promising

Most movies today are produced in order to be able to support 8K resolution, releasing movies at 4k is not a problem, they just need to wait until 4k tvs become more popular, it is juts a matter of time.

Around the Network

He shouldn't call it a comeback, they're been here for years.

It sure seems so. Their currency situation (and all Japanese firms really) has improved well the past few weeks.

The PS4 has to be sold at a profit from day 1 imo.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Dodece said:
Perhaps I have become jaded, but I am nauseated by the amount of spinning that is going on here, and no I am not talking about Kaz's comments on the future prospects of his company. I am talking about the Sony fans on these forums. He has an excuse for what he is doing. The rest of you ought to know better by now. Sony has consistently failed to meet expectations for the better part of a decade. Over selling the future prospects of the company with the proof all of a month away.

Now that is just plain daring the other side to tan your ass, and the only thing that makes any sense to me. Is that many of you get off on the humiliation. Experience and self preservation alone should stop you from heading head long into this particular meat grinder. The fact that it hasn't can only mean that you get off on the pain, or the pain you know your encouragements are going to inflict upon others. Would anyone care to explain to me why you haven't learned after all of these years.

The contents of this interview aren't promising. He didn't say the company has returned to profitability. He said that he was basically micro managing his company, because he obviously doesn't trust his subordinates. While he apparently still intends to follow the failed television strategy that has bled the company for so many years. All the while betting on distant technologies that cannot render immediate relief. Then to top it off he showed off a waterproof cell phone. Seriously what market was out their demanding that feature.

Look I don't mind people being cautiously optimistic, but the guy is untried, untested, and unverified. Unlike his predecessor who was all of those things. We don't know whether he is doing a good job, or that the things he has done are in fact good, or that his strategy is the right one. Hell there are a lot of reasons to think that it isn't the right one, because it is basically a variation of what Stringer had done for years. With a much heavier emphasis on acquisitions which are funded by sales, and taking on greater debt.

Praise shouldn't just be given. It should be earned, and based upon performance. We will know how good or bad he is in thirty or forty days. Sure you can give him the benefit of the doubt, but the key word here is that there is doubt. I read too many factual statements about how great a corporate leader he is. It isn't like there have been a slew of people that have claimed he sucked. So why are there so many in this thread that have declared him to be a god among men.

better question, why the fuck do you care so much?

logic56 said:
Dodece said:
Perhaps I have become jaded, but I am nauseated by the amount of spinning that is going on here, and no I am not talking about Kaz's comments on the future prospects of his company. I am talking about the Sony fans on these forums. He has an excuse for what he is doing. The rest of you ought to know better by now. Sony has consistently failed to meet expectations for the better part of a decade. Over selling the future prospects of the company with the proof all of a month away.

Now that is just plain daring the other side to tan your ass, and the only thing that makes any sense to me. Is that many of you get off on the humiliation. Experience and self preservation alone should stop you from heading head long into this particular meat grinder. The fact that it hasn't can only mean that you get off on the pain, or the pain you know your encouragements are going to inflict upon others. Would anyone care to explain to me why you haven't learned after all of these years.

The contents of this interview aren't promising. He didn't say the company has returned to profitability. He said that he was basically micro managing his company, because he obviously doesn't trust his subordinates. While he apparently still intends to follow the failed television strategy that has bled the company for so many years. All the while betting on distant technologies that cannot render immediate relief. Then to top it off he showed off a waterproof cell phone. Seriously what market was out their demanding that feature.

Look I don't mind people being cautiously optimistic, but the guy is untried, untested, and unverified. Unlike his predecessor who was all of those things. We don't know whether he is doing a good job, or that the things he has done are in fact good, or that his strategy is the right one. Hell there are a lot of reasons to think that it isn't the right one, because it is basically a variation of what Stringer had done for years. With a much heavier emphasis on acquisitions which are funded by sales, and taking on greater debt.

Praise shouldn't just be given. It should be earned, and based upon performance. We will know how good or bad he is in thirty or forty days. Sure you can give him the benefit of the doubt, but the key word here is that there is doubt. I read too many factual statements about how great a corporate leader he is. It isn't like there have been a slew of people that have claimed he sucked. So why are there so many in this thread that have declared him to be a god among men.

better question, why the fuck do you care so much?

Maybe I am contrary by nature. Maybe I like to play the Devils Advocate. Maybe I do it for the lulz, or maybe it has to do with me being an asshole. Maybe I am out to get you, and your little dog too. Pick which ever one will keep you up at nights. I am having lots of fun aren't you.

So long as they're able to keep making consoles I am happy.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.