By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hirai says Sony is on track for a comeback

Wander_ said:
Hynad said:
DanneSandin said:

Yeah, maybe 4k for movies, but that's a big maybe... that would mean extra costs, money Sony could and should spend on other things; like getting better specs or something else...

The means to send a 4K signal isn't really expensive. Which means that making the console capable of pushing 4K resolution wouldn't be that big a deal. Many PCs can do it already. What costs a lot is the DISPLAY necessary to make it all happen.

Then why are 4k TV's too damn expensive $25k.

New technology=expensive

Plasmas have been around the same price when they first came out.

Around the Network
Turkish said:

New technology=expensive

Plasmas have been around the same price when they first came out.

The first plasmas released for no more than $15k though... although accounting for inflation and differences in consumer income it would be more or less the same. Well noted there. 

he is betting in 4K tvs? lol.... will take years until it is needed and cosumers start buying.

Turkish said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
bananaking21 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
bananaking21 said:
so when is there Q4 earnings report coming out?

March

OT: CES left me optimistic of Sonys future.here's hoping for the best.

march? why so late? that would be like in the end of q1

not sure mate. it's end of March i think, but it usualy is in March.

Its early february.

are u sure?

No offense, but i HIGHLY doubt that the wiiu will win next gen. They never won within 3 generations in a row. Sales wise MAYBE. As long as they attract the casual crowd, then they will succeed.

Around the Network

I don't think the PS4 will have many games that can natively output in 4K. 4K resolution takes roughly 4 times the graphical power to output as 1080 and rought 8 times as much as 720.

A game running at 40fps at 1080 would only run at about 10fps at 4k.

I didn't anyone was recently saying it would play games in 4K, but would upsale them to 4K.

In the same way the Xbox 360 was designed for 720P but upscales to 1080P.

It's not as good, but I don't think we quite have the hardware cost down enough to mass produce a 4K consol that many could afford.

Anyone know what kind of connections we will be using for that?  Currently HDMI 4K is limited to 24p - so will they use Display Port or something else?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

So everyone knows, 4K video will almost certainly be part of the PS4. They announced 4K blu rays, a 4K HD Video Camera prototype, a Sony studio for 4K, and a digital 4K content distribution channel all at CES.

4K is no different than the transition from standard to HD. It is on the horizon and game consoles like the PS4 aren't made to be relevant only to the year they release. It needs to be compatible with future offerings, and 4K is what Sony is doing.

They anticipate 4K to take a few years or even up to 10 to fully integrate as a media display option. How long did this gen last, hmm? ~6 years.

How long did HDTV take to become the consumer standard, hmm? 4K is going to be pushed out onto the market, prices will go down, consumers will adopt. There will be media content capable of displaying 4K and it would lack foresight to not include that in the PS4. For all purposes, the next Xbox will probably have 4K display capabilities as well.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Why do they believe there's demand for 4K? Were they not burned enough by HD or 3D?

Chark said:
4K is going to be pushed out onto the market, prices will go down, consumers will adopt. 

How much extra money would a consumer be willing to pay for a 4K TV that is otherwise identical to another 3D TV?

If the answer is <$100, how will Sony make money?

It is different from the HD transition because no one is asking for it. People already have expensive TVs they are not inclined to replace in this economy, most do not have the eyesight or living room size to take advantage of it, and 4K content will be very sparse if there's no new optical media format and stupidly low US bandwidth caps continue.

VGhippy said:
I don't think the PS4 will have many games that can natively output in 4K. 4K resolution takes roughly 4 times the graphical power to output as 1080 and rought 8 times as much as 720.

A game running at 40fps at 1080 would only run at about 10fps at 4k.

4k is more to movies/video and some arcade PSN games.