By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Now that the generation is all but over, which console won YOUR heart?

Your choice?

Wii 118 23.65%

PS3 227 45.49%

360 128 25.65%

None of the above 26 5.21%

Total:499
curl-6 said:
green_sky said:
I don't get it either. People just lump everything together. There are so many old school kind of games with hard challenging gameplay. Those barely sell though. I don't know why these complaining people are not buying multiple copies of those. Personally very happy with the generation. The controls are much better, the normal difficulty is normal and not impossible. Also games can be patched (that is both good and bad as sometimes they don't test them enough). Best value for money with price drops and multiplayer options. People just want to live in the past with their nostalgic memories. 

It's not about nostalgia or living in the past. One could equally say the love for the 7th gen is based on "ooo, it's shiny and new!"

There have been some positive changes in the 7th gen, like motion controls and production values, but I believe there's been just as much negative change so it balances out about equal with the 6th gen.

For me, games are about fun first and foremost. That's their entire reason for existing, as essential as a car's ability to move. When you take control away from the player, you take away the fun. So many games today take what would have been a playable sequence last generation and replace it with some crappy movie sequence where, if you're lucky, you mash "A" to strangle the final boss. That's vastly inferior to an actual playable confrontation.

I'm not arguing that games should be harder, I'm arguing that they should stop trying to be movies and actually be games, because most of the time, the more movie like a game gets, the worse a game it becomes.

Fair points. You are in David Jaffe camp of video games which focus on core gameplay. The thing is though that multiplayer has seen such a big rise this generation and it is pure gameplay. Other than opening where they tell you to race, fight, shoot, etc it is just pure gameplay. The single player experience is where the games have taken control away but that was there last gen too. MGS was always half movie and half game. God of War is same as it was back than, Gears you are in control most of the time. Valve games continue to give you full control even during cutscenes. There is only i guess some offenders like Uncharted but even than most of the cutscenes are so short. The experience is mostly enhanced and it brings in new players. 

The Wii did that in their own way by making the controls simpler. What i am generally getting is that new and shiny has always been there. Every generation the coat of paint looks better and we sit in awe of it. Not much has changed and the variety of games is far wider this generation across platforms than ever before. The old school games have made a strong comeback with indie and smaller teams. JRPG's have a taken a hit it seems but i am no expert on them. 

So i just want to point out the far more option and variety of games available. If you don't like cinematic experiences than there is just way too many other games. In fact i feel the market is saturated quite a bit. Last year i had more time to play games than ever but even with one console and pc i could barely keep up with the number of releases even from previous years. 

Anyways i hope you find the upcoming generation enjoyable. Happy gaming. 

Around the Network

I voted for none...my ranking would be:

PS3 > Wii > XB 360 > DS > PSP

green_sky said:
curl-6 said:
green_sky said:
I don't get it either. People just lump everything together. There are so many old school kind of games with hard challenging gameplay. Those barely sell though. I don't know why these complaining people are not buying multiple copies of those. Personally very happy with the generation. The controls are much better, the normal difficulty is normal and not impossible. Also games can be patched (that is both good and bad as sometimes they don't test them enough). Best value for money with price drops and multiplayer options. People just want to live in the past with their nostalgic memories. 

It's not about nostalgia or living in the past. One could equally say the love for the 7th gen is based on "ooo, it's shiny and new!"

There have been some positive changes in the 7th gen, like motion controls and production values, but I believe there's been just as much negative change so it balances out about equal with the 6th gen.

For me, games are about fun first and foremost. That's their entire reason for existing, as essential as a car's ability to move. When you take control away from the player, you take away the fun. So many games today take what would have been a playable sequence last generation and replace it with some crappy movie sequence where, if you're lucky, you mash "A" to strangle the final boss. That's vastly inferior to an actual playable confrontation.

I'm not arguing that games should be harder, I'm arguing that they should stop trying to be movies and actually be games, because most of the time, the more movie like a game gets, the worse a game it becomes.

Fair points. You are in David Jaffe camp of video games which focus on core gameplay. The thing is though that multiplayer has seen such a big rise this generation and it is pure gameplay. Other than opening where they tell you to race, fight, shoot, etc it is just pure gameplay. The single player experience is where the games have taken control away but that was there last gen too. MGS was always half movie and half game. God of War is same as it was back than, Gears you are in control most of the time. Valve games continue to give you full control even during cutscenes. There is only i guess some offenders like Uncharted but even than most of the cutscenes are so short. The experience is mostly enhanced and it brings in new players. 

The Wii did that in their own way by making the controls simpler. What i am generally getting is that new and shiny has always been there. Every generation the coat of paint looks better and we sit in awe of it. Not much has changed and the variety of games is far wider this generation across platforms than ever before. The old school games have made a strong comeback with indie and smaller teams. JRPG's have a taken a hit it seems but i am no expert on them. 

So i just want to point out the far more option and variety of games available. If you don't like cinematic experiences than there is just way too many other games. In fact i feel the market is saturated quite a bit. Last year i had more time to play games than ever but even with one console and pc i could barely keep up with the number of releases even from previous years. 

Anyways i hope you find the upcoming generation enjoyable. Happy gaming. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the 7th gen, I enjoyed it very much. I'm just saying that the "new and shiny" argument is the other side of the coin to the "nostalgia" argument, and that I'm not a fan of ALL the changes this generation bought about. The multiplayer thing doesn't really resonate with me, for example, because it's mostly been focussed on online, and about the only game I've ever enjoyed playing online is Monster Hunter Tri, FPS and sports games online do nothing for me.

I could also go on and on about the things I loved in the 7th gen though, like Nintendo's return to form, the resurrection of 2D platformers, motion controls, etc.

And thanks, hope next gen rocks for you too. :)

Isn't this thread about a year early?

pezus said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
I voted for none...my ranking would be:

PS3 > Wii > XB 360 > DS > PSP

This surprises me!

WARNING: LONG POST

HA! Yeah, I figured it would surprise a few people. I guess I'll explain my ranking.

First off, the HH's sucked this time around. I didn't like the DS at all due to its graphics and bad controls for games like Animal Crossing, or Resident Evil. The controls didn't work for 3D games. I am basically the opposite of a graphics fanboy and graphics are really far down on my list of importance in games. With that said, some of those games were nearly non-playable for me. As for the PSP? It never interested me even a bit so its last by default, it is admittedly the only System I didn't play at all this gen.

The Home System order probably surprised you though, so here is my reasoning. I only owned a Wii personally but my family members owned a PS3 & XB360 so I got a good amount of time with all 3. I only got to play the single player games on Wii though. The XB360 while a decent System never really interested me at all. I ended up only playing COD and some Kinect games on it. Kinect never reached its potential IMO and overall its a distant last on my list this gen. (Out of the Home Consoles)

Next, is the Wii. I basically share the opinion of most other gamers for the Wii. The Wii was extremely exciting and fun for a while and actually was looking to take the top spot for my favorite system ever. It lasted until Late 2009 and after that it got pretty...dead. Nintendo kind of abandoned the System way before the Wii U was even announced. It kind of lost its way and I was left feeling disappointed in the end. It had a lot of wasted potential...

Finally, even though I spent way more $ on and way more time with the Wii because I never really owned a PS3, PS3 still ended up being my favorite System from the Gen. I couldn't really vote for it because I never owned one but it still was the best IMO. If I could rewind, I would have still gotten a Wii in 2007 but then would've gotten a PS3 in 2009 or just waited for PS3 to go down in price. Looking back, it ended up with the best exclusive and overall library. Plus, LittleBigPlanet was better than any Wii game!

I grew up with Nintendo & enjoy many of their games but both the DS & Wii left a disappointed feeling from last gen. (Which is odd considering they were their biggest sellers to date) Now I am old enough to really research and find out the best System for me. I will no longer just automatically go with Nintendo. This E3 will be very interesting because that is when I'll decide my next gen System of choice. (I normally buy only one Home System per Gen)

By the way, these are my Top 10 Systems of all time as of this Gen:

10) GameBoy Advance

9) 3DS (Already)

8) XB360

7) S Genesis

6) GameBoy

5) GameCube

4) Wii

3) PS3

2) PS (1)

1) N64

Around the Network
Turkish said:
trent44 said:

PSP won my heart this generation.

I though the PSP was pointless in 2004, and I finally bought one on a whim in 2007 when I was leaving on a long trip.

I got about 6 games or so for it, and only played it a few weeks, then it went back on my shelf and collected dust.

It wasn't until 2010, that I was putting together some gameplay videos and decided to go back and reseach games from dozens of systems (1985 to present).

When I looked at the PSP game list I was like, wtf, when did it get a mountain of great games?!

I went on Amazon.com and was amazed to see most PSP games selling for less than $10 each.

So, I bought dozens and dozens of PSP games over night and had a full backlog, which has grown many times over and I am still buried in.

Afterwards, I found out about PSP's amazing sleep mode (still the best thing ever) and T.V. out and was even more enthralled; this little handheld I though of as a vacation novelty was actually the game system I could have only dreamed of.

I eventually bought a 2200 mAh battery since I played so much.

And, I have probably around 110 PSP games on my shelf right now. Probably my favorite console ever, especially since it can play PSOne Classics. :D

Enjoyed reading that, you're awesome!

Thanks for the compliment!

I hope Generation 8 brings as good a story to be told to the future. :D

hatmoza said:
My PC.

... someone had to say it first.

actually i said PS3 because it managed to get me away from the pc