By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dredd -- You gotta give this movie a chance!

Have you seen it?

No -- But I was planning to 16 17.78%

No -- But I plan to now a... 1 1.11%

No -- And I still do NOT plan to 4 4.44%

Yes -- It was good! 54 60.00%

Yes -- It was decent/okay 10 11.11%

Yes -- It was as bad as the trailers 5 5.56%

Total:90

I just watched Dredd with a buddy of mine. It absolutely BOMBED at the box office, but I was always intrigued by it after seeing all the positive critic reviews it received.

I remember the first time I saw the Dredd trailer before it came to theatres. I just thought to myself, "Man, this movie is gonna bomb." It looked horribly cheesy and B-movie...ish. BUT...

Whoever created the Dredd trailers did an AWFUL job of portraying its quality. My friend and I both really liked it! It was really well done. My friend is actually a filmmaker, while I'm just your average Joe Shmoe movie viewer; so, that's two very different opinion types that both rate Dredd positively!

It's obviously never great to see any movie bomb/lose money, but it's always worse when a movie is actually good and still does poorly. Maybe I feel too bad about things like this; but, because I liked Dredd so much, I feel obligated to spread the word to try to get people to see it in hopes of getting it a little more of the attention/popularity it deserves.

It is rated R, and is pretty violent (typically stylistically) with lots of swearing, but it's nothing that really turned my buddy or I (both 26 yrs old) off.

Anyways, one of my favorite movies of 2012. Check it out!

For anyone wondering how badly it bombed...Dredd's production budget was $50 million, which means it needed to make $100-$150 million in order to avoid losing money (general rule of thumb is that profit begins after a movie makes 2-3x its production budget). Dredd made $13 million in the US (among the lowest of any release -- especially major -- all year) and $33 million total/worldwide; so, a $67-$117 million dollar loss. My biggest thing isn't the money lost by the distributing company, but rather the fact that barely anyone saw this movie, despite it being quite good.

source:  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dredd.htm

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
It is interesting. They saw what the last movie did.

Anyways. I have had this movie from redbox for a week along with Ted. At least the screaming harries from the 90's movie are gone. Harries equal baddies.

I have enjoyed the first hour so far. Are they stuck in the building the whole time?

(Spoiler!)...............................Yeah they are.

I saw the original Judge Dredd when I was a kid like 15-20 yrs ago, but I remember next to nothing about it ha (other than that it stars Sly).

Ha nice. So THAT'S how Redbox makes their money;) My choices the other night at Redbox were actually between Dredd and Ted. Will probably pick Ted up next time around.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the movie man! Feel free to give your opinion here after you finish it:)

You should watch the Raid redemption.. Its basicly the same movie but twice as awesome then Dredd.. Which was also good but the Raid just beats it In raw action

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Dredd was fucking awesome. I expected a crappy B-Movie and got one of the finest Action Movies of the last year. Everybody who like 90s Action Movies has to watch Dredd

The movie is pretty good. I want a sequel.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

Ya I liked it thought it was a great simple action movie

I liked it. The only thing I did was pretend Sylvester Stalone was behind the mask. Not a bad film at all imo.

deskpro2k3 said:

Thats never gonna happen. This movie was one of the biggest flops of 2012

Much better than the original. I rented on XBL Sunday Night. I regret not watching it in the threatre's. It deserved to do better at the box office.

AndrewWK said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Thats never gonna happen. This movie was one of the biggest flops of 2012

Your opinion, and guess what, I don't agree with it. edit. okay my mistake, it flopped in sales but not in the awesome factor.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5