By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dredd -- You gotta give this movie a chance!

Have you seen it?

No -- But I was planning to 16 17.78%

No -- But I plan to now a... 1 1.11%

No -- And I still do NOT plan to 4 4.44%

Yes -- It was good! 54 60.00%

Yes -- It was decent/okay 10 11.11%

Yes -- It was as bad as the trailers 5 5.56%

Total:90

Comic book films are a must for me, most used to be lacking, recently it's picked up a bit (ignoring Ghost Rider).

This was great but if you want tower invading action watch The Raid. Seriously.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I would say that it's a decent film. It's a shame to see something like this bomb while less deserving films make a killing. Hopefully it will do ok with rentals and DVD/Blu-Ray sales once more positive word of mouth spreads.

Saw this in the Redbox kiosk the other day and wanted to rent it but decided not to rent anything.

Might go ahead and give it a shot as I am sure i'll enjoy it.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

After this movie flopped and "The Darkness 2" flopped. Maybe now Take 2 should try a Dredd game and Lionsgate a The Darkness movie

This movie was good, much more close to the real comic character Dredd, The fact he did not take off is helm was already a big step in the good direction.

Around the Network

Got the 3D Blu-ray version yesterday! Going to watch it tonight. Heard great things about both the movie, and the 3D.

I thought the movie sucked. Most of it took place in one location and it had one good shootout. There really was no story and it just did'nt feel that epic 2 me. I did like the fact that he kept his helmet on,but that's about it.

spurgeonryan said:
It certainly had no story, but it was just a violent movie made to be enjoyed like other 80's and 90's violent movies were. They had no point either, but were /are classics.

yeah,but most of those movies felt more epic and had a greater sense of scope and heart in my opinion. In dredd it was like let's get from point A to B,so we can get to this boring shootout. rinse and repeat. If your going to make that kind of movie,at least be creative in the action. I thought the slow-mo stuff was kind of creative,but it just was'nt enough. When I was watching the movie,I kept looking at my watch,wondering when the movie was going to be over and it was only a 90 minute movie. I just could'nt get into it. 

I saw it about a week ago. I thought the movie was good.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

pitzy272 said:

It's obviously never great to see any movie bomb/lose money, but it's always worse when a movie is actually good and still does poorly. Maybe I feel too bad about things like this; but, because I liked Dredd so much, I feel obligated to spread the word to try to get people to see it in hopes of getting it a little more of the attention/popularity it deserves.

Preach it brother.

I had a feeling it would do badly because a) Judge Dredd is not known in the USA and the Stallone version was crap, and b) R rated = lower potential audience out of the gate.

Even without seeing the trailers I thought it was going to be B grade bad and not so bad it's good either.

But when I saw the Rotten Tomatoes reviews rolling in it blew me away and I hoped that it might launch slow but pick up with strong word of mouth. But it never happened.

After seeing it I desperately wanted a sequel, but knowing how badly it it did at the box office I knew it would never be. And of course Karl Urban as a local boy made me want it to succeed even more.

It pretty much has the dubious honour of being one of the best ever movies to bomb at the box office.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix