By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dredd -- You gotta give this movie a chance!

Have you seen it?

No -- But I was planning to 16 17.78%

No -- But I plan to now a... 1 1.11%

No -- And I still do NOT plan to 4 4.44%

Yes -- It was good! 54 60.00%

Yes -- It was decent/okay 10 11.11%

Yes -- It was as bad as the trailers 5 5.56%

Total:90

I rented Dredd and Ted at the same time, just for shits and giggles.

Although yeah; I did actually want to see both films and after watching Dredd, I wish I had seen it in 3D in theaters.

I'll pick it up on BD down the line just because it was worth repeat viewings.

Sequel-wise, the general consensus among studio types is that a film must take in about $50m to leave the door open for a sequel. Dredd took in $36.5m, so if one were made, it would be a reduced budget labor of love type of project, which I'd actually be okay with. I'd even see it in the theaters assuming it wasn't complete garbage.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
" Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos, Judges!"

I give it an 'A' for entertainment value.
  • Judge Dredd: Was wondering when you realized you'd forgot your helmet...
  • Cassandra Anderson: It interferes with my psychic abilities...
  • Judge Dredd: [grunts] figured a bullet would do that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It's interesting that I'm hearing a lot of comments on how it's a good 80s or 90s style action film when it really isn't in the style of 80s or 90s action films at all.

Take a film like Judge Dredd and compare it to a post 00s Dredd and see the difference.

Take a 90s film like Total Recall and contrast it with Total Recall 2012.

I'm guessing that Robocop will be in stark contrast to Robocop 2013.

What are post 00s action films lacking? Generally it's the satire, campy humor, one liners, invincible last action macho heros. etc. If you want examples of post 00's action films that ape and recall action films of the 90s, look no further than The Expendables and the sequel.

A friend of mine, who I agreed with took the story of Dredd as being more about Judge Anderson than Dredd interestingly enough.

greenmedic88 said:
It's interesting that I'm hearing a lot of comments on how it's a good 80s or 90s style action film when it really isn't in the style of 80s or 90s action films at all.

Take a film like Judge Dredd and compare it to a post 00s Dredd and see the difference.

What are post 00s action films lacking? Generally it's the satire, campy humor, one liners, invincible last action macho heros. etc. If you want examples of post 00's action films that ape and recall action films of the 90s, look no further than The Expendables and the sequel.

A friend of mine, who I agreed with took the story of Dredd as being more about Judge Anderson than Dredd interestingly enough.

What does that even mean? Are you saying Stallone's Judge Dredd was a good movie?

And have you seen Dredd 2012? It's got all those elements you list as lacking, though the humour isn't campy, though I'm not sure what you mean by campy, your version of campy might be different from mine. Dredd 2012 humour is deadpan, which is better than campy IMO, so deadpan humour action movie is an improvement on the 80's model.

The other award Dredd 3D will win is best movie nobody saw for 2012. So hopefully that attention will give it a few more DVD sales / rentals.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Loved the movie!

it's good old 80's action film-making

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
zero129 said:
TrevDaRev said:
Got the 3D Blu-ray version yesterday! Going to watch it tonight. Heard great things about both the movie, and the 3D.

The 3D is great in this movie, Well pretty much all new mocvies 3D is great unlike a lot of the old ones lulz

The 3D is indeed great, the SLOW-MO scenes look amazing. The movie itself was first class, really enjoyed it.

binary solo said:
greenmedic88 said:

What does that even mean? Are you saying Stallone's Judge Dredd was a good movie?

And have you seen Dredd 2012? It's got all those elements you list as lacking, though the humour isn't campy, though I'm not sure what you mean by campy, your version of campy might be different from mine. Dredd 2012 humour is deadpan, which is better than campy IMO, so deadpan humour action movie is an improvement on the 80's model.

The other award Dredd 3D will win is best movie nobody saw for 2012. So hopefully that attention will give it a few more DVD sales / rentals.

If you don't understand, then you haven't really studied the elements that make 80s action films and the differences present in current action films. 

Having grown up with them, they have a very different feel to them that simply would not translate as well to contemporary times unless a film maker was deliberately attempting to make a throwback film as an ode to the 80s. 

And no, Judge Dredd was a horrible 90s action movie that deserves its Rotten Tomatoes assessment. I'm almost of the notion that its notoriety had a detrimental effect on viewership of the far superior Dredd. 

And no, if I wasn't clear, I was in no way shape or form inferring that 80s style action films (or 90s style for that matter) are better than their contemporary equivalents. They're just different as a reflection of the sign of the times. 

greenmedic88 said:

I agree with every single thing you said. They don't make them like they use 2.

spurgeonryan said:
Total Recall was nothing like old Recall. It is obvious. I guess the biggest thing that makes all these movies not like 80's movies anymore is that we have all been there done that.

New Dredd is not really been there done that, besides all the killing, being locked in a building, and the main protagonist surviving an onslaught of bullets every minute of the film.

The problem with Expendables is the one liners and all the over the top action in it. I am mainly talking about the Second one because I have not seen the first flick. If it was not for Van Damme I would have hated the Second Expendables.

The First action scene in The Expendables 2 got it all right. But as the film went on, things just became more and more beyond belief. Arnold Swarzenneger was out of his element. The last two big action scenes were poorly done, and 80 year old Chuck Norris parts were not wanted.

Directors do not know how to make 80's and 90's style movies anymore. Just like when you watch a black and white film these days it does not actually feel like an old time black and white film. Things are different. Acting is different, film making is different.
Happily Dredd does bring us back, but it leaves out the idiotic one liners from STallone and company. Also the one man against impossible odds are AWOL as well. They only made him live through one barrage of bullets, and he was even wounded pretty badly in the film. Remember Rambo 3? Made the movie more believable. Just that one little wound. Dredd brought me back to my child hood, watching Rated R movies as a kindergartner.

I completly disagree. I think the expendables 2 was much better,then dredd in my opinion. basically everything you hated about the movie,is everything I loved about it. lol

I liked it... It's a bit like the Raid Redemption but entertaining and good cast. Thumbs up!