By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DmC excites critics, fans less so – as Metacritic users strike back

BasilZero said:
seiya19 said:

Those who are in favor of this game and keep using the "it's the hair" argument as a massive straw men to defend it against any criticism are in no way better than the "haters" they criticise.

By the way, at the end of the day, wouldn't it had been better for all of us if this game wasn't called "Devil May Cry" ? What if Capcom had just published this game as its own IP, giving Ninja Theory the freedom to create whatever they wanted without "competing" with the old Devil May Cry universe ? Without needlessly dividing your fanbase ?

They should of called it "Resident Evil 4" if they werent gonna call it Devil May Cry.

"Resident Evil 6" suits it better... You know, the one that was partially outsourced, had no involvement from its original creator and was considered to be an aberration by many.

Around the Network

So people bash the people who review the games we play when it gets a score people think it doesn't deserve and then when said reviewers give games like Ni No Kuni a great score they suddenly are the greatest reviewers on the Planet? Yeah I officially no longer care what "gamers" think I will go off of what IGN and others say.

I'm looking forward to picking this game up on Steam next week. Metacritic users have bombed both Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, and yet I enjoyed both of those games. As much as I've enjoyed the previous DMC titles, I've always kept an open mind about this new DMC reboot, and will judge it when I play it.

BasilZero said:
seiya19 said:
BasilZero said:
seiya19 said:

Those who are in favor of this game and keep using the "it's the hair" argument as a massive straw men to defend it against any criticism are in no way better than the "haters" they criticise.

By the way, at the end of the day, wouldn't it had been better for all of us if this game wasn't called "Devil May Cry" ? What if Capcom had just published this game as its own IP, giving Ninja Theory the freedom to create whatever they wanted without "competing" with the old Devil May Cry universe ? Without needlessly dividing your fanbase ?

They should of called it "Resident Evil 4" if they werent gonna call it Devil May Cry.

"Resident Evil 6" suits it better... You know, the one that was partially outsourced, had no involvement from its original creator and was considered to be an aberration by many.

Never played it so cant say much about it.

Me neither. 4 was the last main Resident Evil I cared about. Capcom surely has been on fire this gen... Literally... I mean, something has to be on fire over there in order to act the way they do...

Rafux said:
Hahaha people still thinking this is about the hair, clueless kids. At least the game is out and bombing.

This x a gajillion.  They don't realize that while we didn't like the new art style before the demo, after the demo, the gameplay is the most important part of the criticism.  It's also unacceptable that the visuals and performance have actually taken a couple steps backward for this reboot.  Even though its coming out 5 whole years after DMC4. 

I'll just find comfort when this doesn't meet expectations and DMC will either get another real sequel or, at the very least, be put to rest.  And then NT can die a slow death, especially after insulting the REAL fans who offer up any criticism about the game.  You know, the same people who kept buying DMC in the first place.  The ones who allowed the original franchise to reach 4 games and made Capcom even think they could make a profit by rebooting the series.  Yea, fuck them.

Around the Network

@haterz

Rafux said:
hatmoza said:
Rafux said:

This is what is all about:

-gif

Gameplay, crazy combos, challenge, 60 FPS.

That's never what it was about. From the beginning it's always been about the new character design. It's absurd to give any other excuse -gameplay wise- when the game only came out today.

Honestly I've never been so disgusted with fans my whole life as a gamer. This game trashing because of white hair turning black is fucking ridiculous.

It's always been about the hair. You wouldn't be using gifs of a completely different game if you had a good argument to explain the backlash isn't anything but the hair.

There's been a demo for a month now.

Explaining it to you won't change a thing, you already like that dumbed down DmC gameplay but I'll keep it short: gameplay is a step back, slow game, no challenge even on hard difficulty, few enemies on screen, 30 FPS, you can get a SSS with 2 axe combos, boring bosses.

As a stand alone game DmC looks good but as a Devil May Cry is a step back, its more God of War than DMC. That gif of MGR is just to show what hack and slash games are all about (gameplay, crazy combos, 60 FPS, challenge) Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden 1 are good examples too. Yes there are people that bash the game just for the hair but the majority know very well that the hair is the least of the problems.

And finally after DmC bombs Capcom will end the franchise.

So you get joy on this game bombing cause you don't like it? A game that I can only imagine had many hours of work and money invested in? Without having to tried the final game (I assume you have not purchased and/or beaten the game). You must be quiet the righteous man.

Also, i can't believe people like thismentiel feel insulted over the hair joke, which i found hysterical. How butthurt can we be over this? It's cool to bash a game's rep on metacritic with a bunch of biased player reviews but NT takes a stab at the haters and suddenly this is the kiss of death. We, gamers, are some whiny, bitchy pussies.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I played the demo and it was ok I guess. I have no connection to the original Dante (apart from maybe playing the first game for an hour sor so) so I don't really care about the redesign but I still didn't like his character very much. I just don't like to play as a cocky, condescending douchebag.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

thismeintiel said:
Rafux said:
Hahaha people still thinking this is about the hair, clueless kids. At least the game is out and bombing.

This x a gajillion.  They don't realize that while we didn't like the new art style before the demo, after the demo, the gameplay is the most important part of the criticism.  It's also unacceptable that the visuals and performance have actually taken a couple steps backward for this reboot.  Even though its coming out 5 whole years after DMC4. 

I'll just find comfort when this doesn't meet expectations and DMC will either get another real sequel or, at the very least, be put to rest.  And then NT can die a slow death, especially after insulting the REAL fans who offer up any criticism about the game.  You know, the same people who kept buying DMC in the first place.  The ones who allowed the original franchise to reach 4 games and made Capcom even think they could make a profit by rebooting the series.  Yea, fuck them.

Lol you want  a game that developrs put a lot of hard work into to bomb? You want the studio to die a slow death? Lol you sound like a jerk who takes the small things too serious. Let these developrs eat, let good games prosper and don't play DMC anymore you don't deserve to lol.

Mad55 said:
thismeintiel said:
Rafux said:

Lol you want  a game that developrs put a lot of hard work into to bomb? You want the studio to die a slow death? Lol you sound like a jerk who takes the small things too serious. Let these developrs eat, let good games prosper and don't play DMC anymore you don't deserve to lol.

@ bold

And that's why I'll be happy when this game bombs.  And any developer who thinks they are better than the gamers who buy games doesn't deserve to be a developer anymore, and hopefully they won't be one for much longer.  Also, I deserve to play whatever game I pay for.  Think I'll play DMC4 right now.