By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DmC excites critics, fans less so – as Metacritic users strike back

Even though I never found time to get into the series I still think the game is great old and new. Seems like the main issue I see so far is the color of his hair. So what?

Edit - Ok so I checked the website at the top and it clearly states its point CLEARLY, but face it things change just like FF did with 13. Even though I hate what Square Enix is doing with the series I'd still turn around and buy the game simply because its FF. The same could be said about DMC I only played a little of 3 and it was great, but I think the new one is good as well. I won't complain hardcore fans know everthing about a series they love. Like I said though things change you either have to get over it and hope some good comes out of it or don't play it.

Around the Network

Summarizing all the whining:

Why did Nsanity get banned ??

Ironically, the supporters are far more obsessed with the hair than the haters are.

I am new player to DmC and really enjoying it a lot. Really don't care if it is different from older DmC games which some people are butthurt over.

Around the Network
zarx said:

Didn't Ninja Theory start out making a faithful DMC design and then got told by CAPCOM to completely change everything and make it more accessable to new people as they hired NT to make a NT DmC game not to just make another DMC game, knowing that it would piss off long term fans. And isn't being rediculous what people liked about the DMC games in terms of plot and characters etc so is that really an insult to the old games? And if I was getting death threats and personal harassment of my family over doing what the publisher wanted I would probably give those people the finger (or worse) as well. Capcom had producers aparently holding their hands and visiting for a week out of each month, so it's not like Ninja Theory just went off and did their own thing by themselves.

OT: DmC looks pretty meh, but plenty of (sometimes great) games get user review bombed is that really news worthy? I mean I would wager most of the user reviews are from people that didn't even bother playing the demo first. Might pick it up on a Steam sale tho as the PC port is aparently quite good and it might be fun to go through.

Thats what a rational person says.

"I liked the demo" or "I never got into the other games but this one looks good".

The issue with these DMC 'fans' is that they get upset when anyone wants to play the game or anyone says that it looks good. This Metacritic affair is an attempt of these 'fans' to prevent other gamers from playing the game. To try and prevent gamers from playing the game they say things like:

"Ninja Theory hurt my feelings, that means no one is allowed to play this game now"

"The framerate has been cut to 30 FPS; it dosen't matter that the PS3 and the Xbox are outdated consoles, and as a 'true' DMC fan I have the option of a PC version which will run at over 200 frames per second. No those things don't matter because Ninja Theory hurt my feelings when they said the consoles wouldn't allow them to do 60 FPS."

"It dosen't matter that Hideki Kamiya (creator of the series) has given the game his blessing, because I'm a 'true' DMC 'fan' and I have to go into therapy because Ninja Theory hurt my feelings".

I think that these DMC 'fans' have realised that they've wasted two years of their lives sending death threats to the developers; now their using the only methods they have at their disposal to vindicate how they've wasted two years of their lives attempting to dicate our rights.

The point I'm making is. When I buy a game I buy it so I can play it, I don't buy it so people I don't know on the Internet can play it. They have no right to dicate anyone else's right to play this game. This Metacritic affair is just another example of the extreme lenghts they will go to because 'their' feelings have been hurt.

I have no doubt if these 'fans' could burn every copy of DmC they would do it.

A203D said:
zarx said:

Thats what a rational person says.

"I liked the demo" or "I never got into the other games but this one looks good".

The issue with these DMC 'fans' is that they get upset when anyone wants to play the game or anyone says that it looks good. This Metacritic affair is an attempt of these 'fans' to prevent other gamers from playing the game. To try and prevent gamers from playing the game they say things like:

"Ninja Theory hurt my feelings, that means no one is allowed to play this game now"

"The framerate has been cut to 30 FPS; it dosen't matter that the PS3 and the Xbox are outdated consoles, and as a 'true' DMC fan I have the option of a PC version which will run at over 200 frames per second. No those things don't matter because Ninja Theory hurt my feelings when they said the consoles wouldn't allow them to do 60 FPS."

"It dosen't matter that Hideki Kamiya (creator of the series) has given the game his blessing, because I'm a 'true' DMC 'fan' and I have to go into therapy because Ninja Theory hurt my feelings".

I think that these DMC 'fans' have realised that they've wasted two years of their lives sending death threats to the developers; now their using the only methods they have at their disposal to vindicate how they've wasted two years of their lives attempting to dicate our rights.

The point I'm making is. When I buy a game I buy it so I can play it, I don't buy it so people I don't know on the Internet can play it. They have no right to dicate anyone else's right to play this game. This Metacritic affair is just another example of the extreme lenghts they will go to because 'their' feelings have been hurt.

I have no doubt if these 'fans' could burn every copy of DmC they would do it.

There's clearly people on the "pro" side that are trying to push their views onto others as well...

Here's an example: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=152953  Does this thread has any reason to exist when there was already a review thread created by you ? And are the "haters" or anyone that has a negative opinion on the game supposed to change their views based on review scores alone ?

Can we just acknowledge that there's people on both sides of the fence that are being disrespectful (or worse) to those who disagree with them ? And that said people are not representative of everyone in favor/against this game ?

The framerate has been cut to 30 FPS; it dosen't matter that the PS3 and the Xbox are outdated consoles

It really doesn't, and I'm sure you know it. It was perfectly possible for Ninja Theory to reduce all the "bells and whistles" graphics-wise in order to reach 60 fps on consoles. They just didn't care to do so. And the use of the Unreal Engine 3 is no obstacle either, as NetherRealm proved with Mortal Kombat. Sure, there's still the PC version, but not everyone has a PC capable of playing it, or the interest in playing games on PC in the first place.

Personally, what bothers me is not that people enjoy this game or its potential success. And I don't have any interest in trying to change someone's mind on purely subjective matters. The things that bother me are these constant childish responses and straw men used by both sides, exposing the immaturity and intolerance of all gamers. Is it too hard to just "live and let live" ? To just agree to disagree ? To discuss things in a respectful matter ? It's really frustrating...

And yes, some comments from Tameem have bother me. Comments like this, for example:

“The essence of Devil May Cry is all about ‘cool. It’s about Dante being cool and making you feel cool when you’re playing it, and so the combat and the style system and everything is integral to that. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago — I think that was when the first game came out — isn’t cool anymore. If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out. What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music — it was like a cultural melting pot — and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion.”

Or this, about Bayonetta:

“Personally, I don’t. I love the game. I think it’s awesome. It’s taken everything — it’s just gone to a total extreme. But in terms of, ‘Do I think it’s cool?’ No, not at all. I think it’s caricatured and over-the-top and very ‘Japanesey,’ and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that’s not what I want.”

I'm tired of the constant disrespect of Western developers and press towards Japanese ones, like what FEZ's developer said, or the regular articles about how Japan is "behind the times", how JRPGs are "dead", or this :

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20397-assassins-creed-3-creative-director-dismisses-bayonetta-japanese-games-as-literally-gibberish/

And last but not least, I'm tired of seeing every Japanese IP I care about being given to Western developers to work with, supported by the idea that Western developers are somehow superior, even at making the games Japan created.

Yes, I realize that I'm being off-topic here now, but it's actually directly related to this, as you can see. While this game is just one of the many examples of the "Westernalization" of Japanese gaming that we have seen this gen, it's one of the most obvious ones, further evidenced by Tameem's comments. And as someone that enjoys Japanese games much more than Western ones, it does bother me.

thismeintiel said:
naruball said:
thismeintiel said:

This x a gajillion.  They don't realize that while we didn't like the new art style before the demo, after the demo, the gameplay is the most important part of the criticism.  It's also unacceptable that the visuals and performance have actually taken a couple steps backward for this reboot.  Even though its coming out 5 whole years after DMC4. 

I'll just find comfort when this doesn't meet expectations and DMC will either get another real sequel or, at the very least, be put to rest.  And then NT can die a slow death, especially after insulting the REAL fans who offer up any criticism about the game.  You know, the same people who kept buying DMC in the first place.  The ones who allowed the original franchise to reach 4 games and made Capcom even think they could make a profit by rebooting the series.  Yea, fuck them.

Ugh. I take back everything positive I just said.

Who says that you are a real fan and someone else who likes the reboot is not? It's your opinion which I'm sure is shared by a lot of people, but it's in no way superior to someone else's. I'm not sure whether NT took any feedback into consideration, but to wish for them to close so bad is just wrong.

A. people losing jobs is always bad or at least sad for them and their families B. How about everyone else who loves their games? I could personally not care less about GTA, Halo, Gran Tursmo etc, but even if I don't enjoy or even like their games, I would never wish for their studios to shut down.

As a developer, when you take on a series, the best thing to do is not bash the original series or its fans.  Unfortunately, this is the approach NT chose.  They made their beds, so now they must lie in it. 

I also find it funny that people can bash the fans of a franchise, just because they aren't particularly fans.  God forbid a new developer gets ahold of a game franchise you like, starts off by saying that the original is ridiculous, then precedes to change the look and feel of that game and when you and other fans criticize them, they basically give you the middle finger.  I highly doubt you would just remain silent and accept the new product, no matter how it turns out.  That's not a fan, that's a fanboy.

You still didn't address many of the points I raised. What makes you a real fan? How egoistic is it to wish for a company to close down because you don't like their approach. How many people does NT consist of? Of those how many people share the view of the person who bashed the fans/the game ?(never heard anything about that, but I'll take your word for it). 

My favourte franchise is Heroes of Might and Magic and though the developers keep changing and I don't agree with all of their decisions, I still enjoy the new games and give each one a chane. If they start disappointing me, I'll drop the franchise and move to a different one.

I also don't appreciate you suggesting that I'm a fanboy. At least follow the forum rules.

seiya19 said:

1. Can we just acknowledge that there's people on both sides of the fence that are being disrespectful (or worse) to those who disagree with them ?

Whoever dislikes the game or likes the game, whatever the case, it was these so called dissenters who began this with their behaviour. The people who like the game, I see them as people defending their rights. The people who your reffering to as haters, I do see those people harrassing anyone who likes the game and they have sent death threats and threatened violence agasint those who disagree with them.

2. And the use of the Unreal Engine 3 is no obstacle either, as NetherRealm proved with Mortal Kombat.

Your comparing DmC to a game which uses two characters on screen and limited environments. I can accept under those circumstances 60 FPS can be achieved. I understand that to make this game the way it was intended they had to comprimise the framerate to 30 FPS. If people can't accept that they have the option of buying the PC version or moving on with their lives. It dosen't endorse extremist behaviour.

3. And I don't have any interest in trying to change someone's mind on purely subjective matters.

You might not, but there are people who are doing that via extreme methods, and those people are the 'haters'.

4. But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago — I think that was when the first game came out — isn’t cool anymore. If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out.

You might not agree with his comment. Disagree or agree, I don't have a problem with what he says, either way to claim that your feelings have been hurt  is simply another attempt by these DMC 'fans' to justify their behaviour.

5. I'm tired of the constant disrespect of Western developers and press towards Japanese ones

I'm not sure if you've played Bayonetta but the style of the game is arguabily ubsurd. The woman's clothes come off probabily 1000 times during one playthrough, the style of the game is quinesentially Japanese. I don't really see him disrespecting Japanese developers; he's said he enjoys the game, but he dosen't want that Japanese style for DmC, which is not unreasonable considering the level of sexual objectification and the style.

Regardless of what Assassin's Creed 3 developers or FEZ developers say. I haven't seen Ninja Theory insult anyone here. Tameem has given his opinion, if you don't agree with it fair enough. That dosent' give these DMC 'fans' the right to harrass anyone who disagrees with them, and it certaintly dosent' give them the right to send death threats.

6. And as someone that enjoys Japanese games much more than Western ones, it does bother me.

Even Hideki Kamiya the creator of the series is getting fed up with these sort of extremists. He's told them to 'fuck off' on Twitter when they've harrassed him with their banalities. And Hideki Kamiya has given Ninja Theory his blessing. Whatever the case Japanese or western, if you don't like it you have the option of not buying it. These DMC 'fans' are not interested in respecting the rights of those fans who do want to play it, which is my problem with them.

yo kyary pamyu pamyu got the new dmc it must be cool

DMCゲッツ。やるぞー

https://twitter.com/i/#!/pamyurin/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2F04n2Q3SF