By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DmC excites critics, fans less so – as Metacritic users strike back

The combat in this game is the best in any DMC game period. id go as far as to say best combat in any hack and slash, the switching of weapons and pulling/grappling to enemy's is so seemless its almost as if there's infinite combo combinations

and also the platforming aspects are really fun and a nice change up

the only thing i don't like about it is that its lacking in "super cool" moments like in DMC3 (and some of the hardcore pro fans might think its a bit easy)

the graphics are actually really good, and anyway if it was in 60fps the graphics would be complete shite (just like DMC4,bayonetta, MGS:R and any other 60fps game for that matter) and if you really want 60fps GO PLAY ON A PC

Around the Network

@A203D

1 - Does it really matter who started ? You don't respond to immature behavior with immature behavior. That puts you on the same level as them (aside the ones who make death threats, of course).

Those who have engaged in "extremist" behavior are clearly a minority among everyone that gets labeled a "hater", but even assuming they were the majority, you don't put anyone that dislikes this game on the same bag. You judge every individual by their own arguments, or you judge the overall arguments that have been made, without straw men. What you don't do is reduce everything to a mindless meme in order to ridicule everyone against the game with it. Or try to use review scores as evidence of them being wrong. If you're ok with all this, you're no better than them. And you don't need any of this to disagree with them.

Negative criticism is just as valid as positive one, as long as it's well-founded enough, taking into account that some things are subjective in nature. This applies to any game, including this one. And I'm seeing many people here and in other places that refuse to acknowledge any negative opinion as valid, as if this game were the first perfect game ever created.

By the way, having read some of the low user scores on Metacritic, I see many people having valid arguments against the game, not just posting nonsense. Review scores really need to go away...

2 - I only meant to use Mortal Kombat as an example of the fact that the engine can be modified to run at 60 fps on consoles, on a full retail game with high production values. I know it's not the same to talk about a fighter than to talk about a hack and slash, but what evidence is there that it can't be done here ? Obviously the hardware is not the issue, given how Bayonetta, Devil May Cry 4, Metal Gear Revengeance and Ninja Gaiden run at 60 fps on the same genre. So, what exactly is the issue here that can't be solved by just reducing the graphics ? If the response is that keeping the current level of the graphics is more important than getting to 60 fps, then it's a choice, susceptible to criticism.

In any case, they chose this from the very beginning. They could've designed the game from the very beginning with 60 fps in mind, but they clearly didn't care to. And I don't know what stopped them from using the MT-Framework engine, specially given how Capcom Japan assisted them anyway.

4/5 - To be perfectly clear, I don't condone the behavior of many of the "haters" that act in an immature and disrespectful matter. But I don't see how Tameem's comments can be justified either. The idea of someone making disrespectful remarks towards the game franchise from which you're "feeding" on is bad enough, but it's even worse when you show no respect for the cultural elements that created it. Who is Tameem anyway to claim what is "cool" and what isn't, outside his own personal taste ? Or what is or isn't ridiculous to others ? Furthermore, since when is something being "quintessentially Japanese" a bad thing ? What makes Japanese troopes any less valid than Western ones ?

There were lots of ways to answer that question without criticising the aesthetics of those games, yet he chose to go down that road. If you're fine with his comments, then you have no moral ground to complain about anyone that makes fun of the aesthetics of this game, or any Western troope that appears in it.

he dosen't want that Japanese style for DmC, which is not unreasonable considering the level of sexual objectification and the style.

So it's perfectly reasonable for Devil May Cry to not have Japanese aesthetics or overall style, even though it was created as such from the very beginning, by said culture ? See, this is exactly the kind of thing that was talking about before. Somehow, a game looking distinctively "Japanese" is now frowned upon, even with Japanese franchises ! What if someone tried to modify the next main Halo, GTA or God of War by giving them Japanese aesthetics and other changes in style ? Would that be reasonable ? How do you think their respective fans would react ?

And please, don't bring up the whole "sexual objectification" excuse here... Even if I agreed with this whole notion, which I don't, there's plenty of Western games that would fit the criteria. Singling out Bayonetta from all of them is completely unjustified. And on a related note, I still can't understand how violence could be considered more acceptable than sex in any way... And this particular game you're defending has at least one pretty disgusting example of the former, involving a female... I'm guessing you haven't heard of it yet...

6 - Assuming Kamiya is being sincere on his approval of this game (something that's hard to tell in this fake world, full of PR and "political correctness"), it's just his opinion. No more, no less. It doesn't change what the game is, nor its negative criticism. And blocking those who go to him to complain is perfectly understandable, of course. The complains should be directed to Capcom and Ninja Theory, without dragging him into this. What's not understandable is to make fun of your fanbase (or former fanbase), like Capcom/Ninja Theory have done by including on the game a joke like the "wig" one, or dismissing their complains by saying that you "don't care", like Tameem did. There's an obvious difference between "sticking to your guns" and respectfully disagreeing, and adding fuel to the fire by doing what it could very well be called "trolling".  

These DMC 'fans' are not interested in respecting the rights of those fans who do want to play it

As far as I know, no one has gotten in the way of someone trying to buy the game or play it in any way. If continuously posting negative views and low review scores is what you're refering to, then the same applies to the opposite. In fact, there's many people on the "negative side" that feel that their views are being disrespected and ignored, specially now that the critical scores turned out to be favorable. Either both are acceptable, or both wrong. I think the crux in all this is how you express said opinion. Can we agree with this ?

Anyway... I think I'm done with this topic here. I'll read anything you want to add, but I probably won't post again. I sincerely hope you and those who agree with your views enjoy this game (assuming you haven't already), because whatever the result is sales-wise, at least something good came from all this. It would be a shame if a lot of people ended up regretting to support it after everything that happened, which is why I hope that most people interested try before they buy. Don't mind me though, I'll just wait for the next train. There's always another...

PS: Sorry for the long comment. Too much to respond...

You only defend the haters because Ninja Theory changed Dante's hair color :P

/sarcasm

seiya19 said:

@A203D

I apprecaite what your saying.

In response, yes i agree with you, negative criticisims are just as important as positive ones. And even I having nearly finished the game have a few things that I think can be improved upon.

I don't want to argue about Japanese versus western games. I understand you wern't happy with what he said. But I don't want to argue about that.

Regarding Bayonetta, the style of the game is quintessentially Japanese. Yes you can say Grand Theft Auto has strip clubs and prostitution. Maybe on some levels those are questionable design choices. And I'm not insulting Bayonetta, but its not unreasonable to call the style of the game uncool. Comparing Bayonetta to Grand Theft Auto dosen't make her clothes coming off 1000 times in one playthrough any less sexually objectifying. And thats the type of style you get in some Japanese games, for example Final Fantasy 10-2, or some other game like that.

This Metacritic affair is just another example of these DMC 'fans' attempting to prevent gamers from playing this game. From sending death threats to the devlelopers and threatening violence against people.

I apprecaite there are some fans like you who say, "we don't like it, and these are our reasons". But the behaviour of some of these people is not okay. And it undermines someone like you who has criticisims against the game for whatever reasons.

Anyway, I personally just want to play the game and get on with it. I don't want to be involved in anyones dissatisfaction with the game. I'm just commenting because I personally think its the people like the ones on Metacritic who are behaving inappropriately. Maybe some people who like it who are also being immature, but based on what I've seen I think its the people like the ones on Metacritic who keep making it worst.

The thing I hate about DMC, even the old ones is how it penalizes you for exploring. I like to take my own sweet time exploring. And I hate seeing the "D" rank it gives me for "Time Completion".

Almost all Capcom games give me "D" rank for Time Completion. Urrrgggh.

You are the answer to every prayer I've offered.

You are a song, a dream, a whisper, and I don't know how I could have lived without you for as long as I have.