By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UC Drakes Glory: Uncharted 3 close to outselling Gears of War 3

Uncharted bigger franchise than Gears of War?

Yeahhh ^_^ 118 69.82%

Noooo -_- 27 15.98%

Maybe :/ 23 13.61%

Total:168
Turkish said:
Barozi said:
Turkish said:
Barozi said:
You can easily see when the bundling started, but you can't expect a Turkish thread to be fair and mention that.

I myself was thinking of the GOTY edition. Furthermore, I believe UC3 was bundled as early as the games release, and Gears 3 also had bundling. 
I'm not a sales person. Thats why you can't expect that explanation for a spike in sales in a Turkish thread, nothing biased and prejudiced to it.

UC3 and Gears 3 both had launch bundles. UC2 was actually bundled after launch with the premium PS3 SKU of its time.

And yes the huge spike is due to the GOTY bundle (and UC1 and UC2 got a similar bundle during the last holiday and saw a similar boost).

I'm not saying that it's impossible for UC3 to eclipse Gears 3 at one point (without bundles) but you could at least ask yourself why UC3 jumped to these hights lately and do a bit of research before creating such a thread.

Threads like this will only lead to copycats making threads about Kinect Adventures is a bigger franchise than Gran Turismo or other similar crap which we don't need.

Exactly, similar trends with UC2:

So what? The spike is due to the GOTY edition, not solely due to GOTY edition being bundled with a PS3. If you have numbers on the procentual share of GOTY editions being in bundles, you're welcome to share them.

This is a good thread, a copycat thread would be comparing Halo with GT. Valid comparisons that people are interested in. Kinect Adventures vs GT is nonsensical and adds nothing to the discussion. UC vs Gears is really interesting, both have been compared dozens of times on VGC so I'm not sure why you're having a problem with it this time around.

It is as absurd to say the spike isn't because of holiday bundles. Imagine someone trying to claim forza holiday sales weren't because of bundles. Thats how absurd it is. This post holiday week the game sold less than Fallout: New Vegas for heavens sake. Congrats Uncharted. Sadly it looks like it will have to get another  bundle to get past gears 3 as its post bundle legs are almost as bad as gear's.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Weekly&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+3%3A+Drake%27s+Deception+%28PS3%29+%5B49054%5D&game%5B%5D=Gears+of+War+3+%28X360%29+%5B44123%5D&game%5B%5D=&game%5B%5D=

Uncharted has become Microsoft's Fable and Forza. Anyone who denys it can simply look at all those random bumps Uncharted games gets in America. Those are all bundles 

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=USA&ending=Cumulative&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+2%3A+Among+Thieves+%28PS3%29+%5B28733%5D&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+3%3A+Drake%27s+Deception+%28PS3%29+%5B49054%5D&game%5B%5D=Uncharted%3A+Drake%27s+Fortune+%28PS3%29+%5B12778%5D&game%5B%5D=

Here is a comparision with PS3 games with legs that aren't getting bundled every year. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=USA&ending=Cumulative&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+3%3A+Drake%27s+Deception+%28PS3%29+%5B49054%5D&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+2%3A+Among+Thieves+%28PS3%29+%5B28733%5D&game%5B%5D=God+of+War+III+%28PS3%29+%5B12533%5D&game%5B%5D=Metal+Gear+Solid+4%3A+Guns+of+the+Patriots+%28PS3%29+%5B6970%5D

Around the Network
pezus said:
MB1025 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G LEGS. Epic

Amazing bundles. Its all good, just dont confuse where the legs actually came from.

Actually, no, since it still sells really well outside of the holiday bundling . Unlike a franchise we both know about.

Give me a break. You know it wouldn't be this close if it wasn't for the recent bundles.

What. I'm not talking about Gears. I know it wouldn't be this close, but UC3 was enjoying far better legs all year without the holiday bundle. It would've happened eventually.

My main problem is you have no problems going into a Microsoft thread and using every excuse under the sun to discredit sales. Then turn around and contradict yourself and find every reason why bundles, price cuts, and other reason wouldn't have effected sales for Sony games.

In the Microsoft thread it was Halo selling because it was 40 bucks for a few weeks. However if it is GT 5 it would have sold those copies regardless of the price.

Areym said:

Hip hip hurray! I still say Resistance should have been going neck and neck against GoW but nobody cared for Resistance 3, even though it was a huge improvement on the franchise. Still, GoW was the better game.

I still find it really odd how Sony dropped Resistance like a rock.  I know the second game rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but still.  They've spent all this time making Killzone their leading FPS franchise when they were on to a winner with the original Resistance.  I didn't even think R2 was that bad really, the co-op multi-player definitely redeemed the flaws in the single player (and the competitive multi-player was okay, minus wraith spamming).

Meanwhile Killzone took a lot of time, money & effort to recover it from the distaste that a lot of people felt after the first game.  Meh, oh well.  Suppose Guerrilla is first party which makes a difference :P

the bigger franchise is still gears of war, gears of war 3 sold 4.5 million at full price in a month, its show that it has a hardcore following, while uncharted 3 probably sales 2.5 million at full price, the rest of the sales are bundled or heavily discounted.

pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:

It sold really well yes, but this holiday was primarily due to bundling.

Without the bundle Uncharted 3 would've easily had some 40-50k selling weeks, so the bundle didn't add that much. It would've got there on its own, it just would've taken more time.

Ok, glad you see that.

Your comment isn't any less weird though. It has amazing legs regardless of bundles.

This thread wouldn't have been made this early if not for said bundles. Your acting like bundles played a small role, and also think its good for a game to get bundles as long as it sold good standalone, while looking down upon Forza bundles, despite that as well selling a couple million + standalone.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
Turkish said:
Barozi said:
Turkish said:
Barozi said:
You can easily see when the bundling started, but you can't expect a Turkish thread to be fair and mention that.

I myself was thinking of the GOTY edition. Furthermore, I believe UC3 was bundled as early as the games release, and Gears 3 also had bundling. 
I'm not a sales person. Thats why you can't expect that explanation for a spike in sales in a Turkish thread, nothing biased and prejudiced to it.

UC3 and Gears 3 both had launch bundles. UC2 was actually bundled after launch with the premium PS3 SKU of its time.

And yes the huge spike is due to the GOTY bundle (and UC1 and UC2 got a similar bundle during the last holiday and saw a similar boost).

I'm not saying that it's impossible for UC3 to eclipse Gears 3 at one point (without bundles) but you could at least ask yourself why UC3 jumped to these hights lately and do a bit of research before creating such a thread.

Threads like this will only lead to copycats making threads about Kinect Adventures is a bigger franchise than Gran Turismo or other similar crap which we don't need.

So what? The spike is due to the GOTY edition, not solely due to GOTY edition being bundled with a PS3. If you have numbers on the procentual share of GOTY editions being in bundles, you're welcome to share them.

This is a good thread, a copycat thread would be comparing Halo with GT. Valid comparisons that people are interested in. Kinect Adventures vs GT is nonsensical and adds nothing to the discussion. UC vs Gears is really interesting, both have been compared dozens of times on VGC so I'm not sure why you're having a problem with it this time around.

It is as absurd to say the spike isn't because of holiday bundles. Imagine someone trying to claim forza holiday sales weren't because of bundles. Thats how absurd it is. This post holiday week the game sold less than Fallout: New Vegas for heavens sake. Congrats Uncharted. Sadly it looks like it will have to get another  bundle to get past gears 3 as its post bundle legs are almost as bad as gear's.

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=Global&ending=Weekly&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+3%3A+Drake%27s+Deception+%28PS3%29+%5B49054%5D&game%5B%5D=Gears+of+War+3+%28X360%29+%5B44123%5D&game%5B%5D=&game%5B%5D=

Uncharted has become Microsoft's Fable and Forza. Anyone who denys it can simply look at all those random bumps Uncharted games gets in America. Those are all bundles 

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/game_comparison.php?reg=USA&ending=Cumulative&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+2%3A+Among+Thieves+%28PS3%29+%5B28733%5D&game%5B%5D=Uncharted+3%3A+Drake%27s+Deception+%28PS3%29+%5B49054%5D&game%5B%5D=Uncharted%3A+Drake%27s+Fortune+%28PS3%29+%5B12778%5D&game%5B%5D=

The funny thing is Sony fans are on the defensive like people are bashing the game itself. Uncharted in a great franchise. However when you are going out of your way to do a comparison thread you better have all the facts and be able to take critisicm.

If people want to discredit Microsoft games because some were bundled at one point then you have to accept that it happened with every Uncharted game.

That takes nothign away from the game at all.

pezus said:
MB1025 said:
pezus said:

What. I'm not talking about Gears. I know it wouldn't be this close, but UC3 was enjoying far better legs all year without the holiday bundle. It would've happened eventually.

My main problem is you have no problems going into a Microsoft thread and using every excuse under the sun to discredit sales. Then turn around and contradict yourself and find every reason why bundles, price cuts, and other reason wouldn't have effected sales.

In the Microsoft thread it was Halo selling because it was 40 bucks for a few weeks. However if it is GT 5 it would have sold those copies regardless of the price.

Huh. It wasn't an excuse, I was trying to find out what caused a bump. What does GT5 have to do with this? Lol, jesus

O so you were trying to find out why there was a bump in Halo 4 sales, saw it was 40 bucks, and that was the reason. I used GT 5 as an example by saying if that was GT 5 in place of Halo 4 you would have said it would have sold regardless.

Now do you see the problem? Because it is a Mirosoft game it only had that bump because it was 40 bucks.

When it is a Sony game regardless of bundles or price cuts they would have sold no matter what.

pezus said:
enrageorange said:

Not even close. Uncharted sells way more when holiday bundles are not counted. I linked to a Forza 3/4 vs. Uncharted 3 comparison. They're not even close in size.

size has nothing to do with it. Its about bundling, which Sony has shown to do so with Uncharted, this holiday being the biggest one as they bundled all 3! FYI, MS doesnt give away Forza's with the purchase of a controller ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

enrageorange said:
Turkish said:
Barozi said:
Turkish said:
Barozi said:

No doubt the bundles played a role, but its not solely to bundling alone. The standalone GOTY edition is definetly a desirable item.

Uncharted wouldn't be close to Gears of War if it wern't for mass bundling, why are people offended and resentful to this truth? The Uncharted franchise has been artificially inflated due to absolutely huge bundling and people are deluded enough to dismiss this and make a ridiculous claims that Uncharted is not only close to but BIGGER than Gears of War... Nonsense, Uncharted wouldn't even be nearly as big as God of War let alone Gears of War. 

Franchises popularity:

Fan Base comparison (largest groups/pages I could find): 

Uncharted would NEVER come close to Gears of War's numbers without mass bundling and you all know it, the fact that Uncharted 3 is one of the most bundled games of this generation EASILY and it still hasn't pass Gears of War 3 after over a year is pathetic.