By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U, a marketing problem or are the masses just not interested?

Everybody is waiting for next gen already, ps4 or Xbox 3

Around the Network

Marketing sucks right now. This has either been the poorest or stupidest marketing campaign I have seen in a long time:

1. Nintendo hasn't shown that they have any major games in development for the Wii U. What is this bullshit with Pikmin being the biggest game people have to talk about? That is lame as hell.

2. Poor communication about the interesting functionalit of the screen. Seriously, the focus should be on how the touchscreen interface and how you can play full games on the TV or the screen. No one is going to get the gameplay aspects until they actually hold a Wii U Gamepad and play some games with it for a few hours. It is just like 3D on 3DS, it would have been best advertised by striking a deal and getting top 3D movies out on it like Avatar.

3. Poor price point, why should people pay such a high price for a console whose most exciting game we know about is the second 2D Mario game released this year?

4. Not a good enough marketing of the Mario game, many people don't even realize it is a different game from the 3DS one that came out around the same time; and people who knew about how NSMB2 sucked won't realize that NSMBU is actually a fairly great game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Probably a bit if both. As we know if masses are not interested it takes time to build a name. Library updates. Wii times are over. A ps3 xb360 type of gamers are more likely to buy wiiu. Ans by that i mean athat millions will be sold along the way and not year one

Switch!!!

fedfed said:
Probably a bit if both. As we know if masses are not interested it takes time to build a name. Library updates. Wii times are over. A ps3 xb360 type of gamers are more likely to buy wiiu. Ans by that i mean athat millions will be sold along the way and not year one

Can't agree with that when we see this week's sales.  WiiU is in serious serious touble looking at the sales.

There is NO WAY that Nintento was looking at a 40k week even this close to christmas.

I agree, they need more games but holy frigging cow...it's going to be 6 months before there's any kind of serious headway game wise...

Nintendo losses sales, because the user are not interested in wii-u. The Wii sales at the first three month starting nov. 2005 are 4 million consoles. But the Wii-U sales at the same beginning at november 2012 are ony 2.4 million consoles.

Is this why vgchartz.com not set an actual graphic at the homepage for the hardware sales? The Wii-U is a flop. I thing 40% less sales than the Wii is a desaster.

Be friendly!

Around the Network

Yes I think you are right but I have a issue with my controller already. So i'm kinda of pissed. Will be taking it back up to best buy.

Not only has the marketing sucked so far, as others here have detailed, (Honestly, compare it to the brilliant advertising we saw for the Wii) but just there isn't any system-selling software for it yet.

People will buy a Wii U for games like Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart U, Smash Bros U, and the new Xeno game, but those games are all far off, and for the moment there's only (mostly poorly done) ports and a few solid but unspectacular exclusives.

Get the games, then the masses will come.

If you're not eager to play yet another Mario game what does the WiiU have to offer? That's right: nothing.

Mensrea said:
People keep saying it's the marketing, it's not that, you have to have something interesting to market before there is good marketing, and right now the Wii U has nothing.

exactly that is why we haven't really seen an marketing.

froster said:
Nintendo losses sales, because the user are not interested in wii-u. The Wii sales at the first three month starting nov. 2005 are 4 million consoles. But the Wii-U sales at the same beginning at november 2012 are ony 2.4 million consoles.

Is this why vgchartz.com not set an actual graphic at the homepage for the hardware sales? The Wii-U is a flop. I thing 40% less sales than the Wii is a desaster.

First of all, the Wii U has only just been out for two months, so you can't possibly compare it with the first three months of the Wii, yet.

Second of all, the Wii launched in 2006, not 2005.

Third of all, VGChartz doesn't put the "graphic" up on the homepage until there's something to compare. The Wii U is out, but neither of the other two 8th gen systems have released. The exact same thing happened in the time between the 3DS and Vita releases - the graphic still only showed DS vs PSP, because without the Vita having been released, there was no comparison to be made, yet.

Fourth of all, the Wii was a phenomenon - to sell 40% less than Wii sales isn't a disaster, it's pretty much as-expected for the first system of a generation.

Just to emphasise this last point, consider that the Xbox 360, in its first three calendar months on sale, sold 1.7 million units. It was released a year before the PS3 and Wii, and thus had a weaker launch period. The PS3 sold even less (although that's probably partially due to the fact that it didn't launch in Europe at the same time).

But then, you should be thankful I bothered to respond to your comment at all. Your post was poorly-written in the way that a lazy native English speaker would write, had multiple obvious errors, and didn't contain a single point that was worth reading. Next time, if you want to get into a discussion about a serious topic, put some effort into your damn post.