By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 5th January

Wander_ said:
sergiodaly said:
what was the prediction nintendo did for Wii U? was 5mil by 31 march? i think it was but not sure...
if that is what nintendo is expecting, i guess they will miss it. but 3DS will keep them happy...

Nintendo always surprises you. The WiiU could rise like the 3DS did

3DS was saved via the combination of a major price cut and a mario game. that will be harder to due for wiiU.  3DS had a large margin for price cut while wiiU is already being sold at a small loss.  a significant price cut any time soon means nintendo will be taking "ps3 like" losses.  and wiiU already has a mario game.

not saying that can't "save" wiiU.  just saying that unlike the 3DS, the path to save wiiU is far less obvious.

Around the Network

360 and PS3 Europe numbers are very hard to believe, I mean the gap in previous years was never that big was it?

Either way MS should do a serious price drop, not some temporary $50 NA only price drop. I dont even count that as its temporary. Its still been September 2008 MS.........its now or never. Were in the home stretch!

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I'm in a train now going to work... so I wiil post the adjustments rable in 30 minutes.

kitler53 said:
Wander_ said:
sergiodaly said:
what was the prediction nintendo did for Wii U? was 5mil by 31 march? i think it was but not sure...
if that is what nintendo is expecting, i guess they will miss it. but 3DS will keep them happy...

3DS was saved via the combination of a major price cut and a mario game. that will be harder to due for wiiU.  3DS had a large margin for price cut while wiiU is already being sold at a small loss.  a significant price cut any time soon means nintendo will be taking "ps3 like" losses.  and wiiU already has a mario game.

not saying that can't "save" wiiU.  just saying that unlike the 3DS, the path to save wiiU is far less obvious.

Why does Wii U need saving? It's sold about 2.5 million units in six weeks. That's more than PS3 and Xbox 360 sold in the first six weeks, and those systems crossed 70 million.

It's been six weeks, that's it. Monster Hunter hasn't launched. Mario Kart hasn't launched. Smash Bros. hasn't launched. Wii Sports hasn't launched. Donkey Kong, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and many others haven't launched.

I don't understand why so many think it's in danger of flopping.

kitler53 said:
Wander_ said:

Ohh i get ya. So not unless they make a redesign.So you think it will take them 3 years like the ps3?

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
freebs2 said:
Conegamer said:
freebs2 said:
Now they have to show something really amazing at e3 or I see this going to fall behind the Gamecube.

0% chance that will happen.

I'd say it won't happen most likely because of the japan market and because the next Mario Kart / Smash Bros / *add another Nintendo IP here* will eventually save it, still at this moment the risk of becoming irrilevant is high, with Ps3/360 receiving a key 3rd party titles like GTA, Bioshock, Metal Gear, then fall 2013 the Ps4/Xbox3 will launch with most likely a better hardware and a competitive price (no I don't think they will be much more expansive than WiiU on launch) and Ps3/360 will also likely recive a price cut.

Anyway at this point it's safe to say they have screwed up launch, just like they did with 3DS, with the main difference that while on the handled market they had no direct competition (Sony shoot itself in the foot), the home console market is very competitive.

Very good points made here. The launch has been a bit of a false-start, but a lot of that is down to PR. They simply didn't push the system enough this Christmas, and without the games library people picked up other versions. The home market is dying, this gen. It's the PS4/720 which the WiiU shall be compared against.

Sure, it has to be confronted with Ps4/720, still if Nintendo's objective was to build up an userbase before the next-gen consoles launch, they are failing hard, even considering that whatever they show at e3 won't most likely be ready before fall 2013 or Q3 being very optimistic.

At this moment if they want to save Q1/Q2 and really start to build up some userbase, imo they should give away some software sales (if they can) and make a NintendoLand + MarioBrosU bundle for 349$/euro.

ryuzaki57 said:
Conegamer said:
freebs2 said:
Now they have to show something really amazing at e3 or I see this going to fall behind the Gamecube.

Which? Nintendo having a great E3 or WiiU falling behind GC? 

WiiU falling behind the GC. I know, technically, it currently is in America, but it will vasstly outsell it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Conegamer said:

WiiU falling behind the GC. I know, technically, it currently is in America, but it will vasstly outsell it.

You mean europe. Right?

just a quick reminder

5th January 2013 first week after Xmas for WiiU release year = 135k sold for a total of 2,4 mil
6th January 2007 first week after Xmas from PS3 release date = 136k sold for a total of 1,4mil
7th January 2006 first week after Xmas after the XBox360 release = 117k sold and 1,3 mil in total

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/39089/Global/
http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/38725/Global/

Was that flop? Did Sony or MS do something quick and massive to change that?

Plus a minor difference: Nintendo has the 3DS in beast mode and Wii and DS keep bringing profit in... not everything feels doomed from Nintendo to me... any comment???

I am happy to have a Wii U selling on pair of XB360 and PS3!

Switch!!!

Wander_ said:
Conegamer said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Conegamer said:

You mean europe. Right?

Nope, it's outpacing the GC in Europe and Japan. I believe the GC is the best selling console in its first December of all time.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.