By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Failing in Europe? (What Can They Do To Get Them Back?)

Tagged games:

Asriel said:
There are a few factors:

1) Most major European economies are either in recession, or at risk of recession. Living costs have escalated wildly in Europe, and most peoples wages haven't accelerated anywhere near in line with this. Basically, disposable income across Europe is very low, so there's less to spend on non-essential goods.

2) Nintendo don't have the kind of historical strength they have in the US and Japan, where Nintendo established themselves as THE gaming company in the 1980's. The first majorly successful home console in Europe was the PS1. This accounts for some of the apathy towards Wii U, as Wii, largely through the 'expanded audience', was Nintendo's first home console success story in Europe. There's less of an entrenched fanbase for Nintendo's products, particularly their home consoles. Nintendo have historically treated Europe as a second class market, and although this has changed in recent years, it's an impression that is still rooted in hobbyist gamers minds: the consumers Nintendo need to drive Wii U's install base, are less likely to buy Nintendo hardware in Europe than they are in Japan or America.

3) Pricing. Software and hardware prices are comparatively higher than their US counterparts, particularly when it comes to Wii U. Nintendo's levels of success with digital sales are dragged down by Europe, because digital European prices are almost always higher than the retail equivalent: a recipe for disaster when it comes to boosting your digital sales. Prices need to be equivalent, or lower, than retail, as is the case in the US and Japan. There are further problems with pricing, but I'll address this in the next point. The price of Wii U hardware needs to come down. Basic Wii U hardware bundles are reportedly selling very poorly in Europe. Nintendo, ideally, should drop the basic and lower the price of the premium to the current basic price as soon as it is financially viable.

4) Tablets and smartphones: Like it or not, these devices and the business models and app stores that come with them, have radically altered the videogame market. There is still room for dedicated games devices, but consoles will have to change at a faster pace if they hope to avoid becoming a very niche sector of the industry. More flexible software pricing is needed. In an age where people can subscribe, go free to play, and download thousands of titles for pennies or nothing at all, expectations of what to pay for videogames will naturally alter. Thus far, Nintendo have done too little to recognise this. Having every new 3DS release in the £30 to £40 range does not acknowledge the changing market. Nintendo need to have tiered pricing in order to boost software sales and make 3DS a more attractive proposition. There is still a market that will pay £30 to £40 for games, but that market will not grow without a more flexible approach to pricing.

Furthermore, Europe is a less developed home and portable console market than either the US or Japan, which, as I have said, experienced the boom in consoles from the 1980's onwards. Europe was essentially a decade late in this trend. And although Nintendo's portables have historically done well in Europe, they are less entrenched than they are in portable mad Japan, or the US, with its historical association with Nintendo and Nintendo's brands going back nearly 30 years. In this less developed market, a market less entrenched into buying certain devices and brands, particularly Nintendo devices and brands, the rise in tablet and smartphone gaming has been more disruptive to Nintendo's business than it has been in other markets.

Nintendo need to address their European problem as quickly as possible. Prices need to come down digitally and at retail, and need to be more flexible. Start at £15, go up by intervals of £5, and reserve the £30 to £35 for the best games. Embrace digital, free-to-play, subscriptions and episodic gaming in the coming years. Lower the price of Wii U hardware and make sure the advertising campaign is crystal clear. Lower the price of Wii U games: £45 or more is not a good strategy when hobbyist gamers are used to paying £35, £40 tops for the latest big releases.

A lot of factors mean Nintendo is out of step with what European gamers want, but it can be remedied, and it should be remedied. Europe as a gaming market has plenty of room for expansion, but without Nintendo adjusting their pricing, marketing, and their approach to Europe, the gaming population will only expand onto smart devices and not onto Nintendo branded devices. They need to change course in Europe before it's too late.

Great post. Agree 100%. And imho a lot of this also applies to America. The prices are just too high in today's changing landscape. And the marketing for the U is just missing the mark.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Hey Pie. According to Kowen's graph the 3DS is doing on par with the DS, albeit in the DS' weaker stage.

This chart only shows the first year.  After 93 weeks

DS: 8,936,225

3DS: 7,192,213

This comparison is also slightly favorable to the 3DS as it has seen the full holiday season.  For the DS it is through Dec. 16, 2006.  Week 94 sees sales of 420,101 which should put it another ~250k ahead of the 3DS.

To put it in further perspective.

DS sales in Europe
2006: 6,014,943
2007: 10,702,518

3DS sales
2012: 3,594,486
2013: ???

This is the year where the DS will start to run away with it in the comparisons.

Why do people keep blaming weak European sales on the economy?

TOTAL YEARLY HARDWARE SALES

Year USA Europe
2009 30,770,891 27,083,650 88.0%
2010 29,394,692 23,704,214 80.6%
2011 26,034,842 23,033,785 88.5%
2012 19,915,946 17,296,580

86.9%

Even with the recessions, European spending has been decreasing just as much as USA. Europe's spending on consoles has been pretty consistent with the USA. So why is the Wii U doing poorly in Europe rather than in USA? The answer involves problems with the Wii U rather than Europe's economy.

And this isn't a problem with Nintendo's brand power in Europe either. 3 out of the five best selling consoles in European are Nintendo consoles, lol

PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65 53.28 23.18 23.57 153.68
2 Nintendo DS (DS) - Nintendo 56.86 51.97 33.01 12.43 154.27
3 Game Boy (GB) - Nintendo 43.18 40.05 32.47 2.99 118.69
4 PlayStation (PS) 38.94 36.91 19.36 9.04 104.25
5 Wii (Wii) - Nintendo 44.36 32.54 12.68 9.21 98.79

As you can see. Nintendo is huge in Europe. The Nintendo DS will probably become the best selling console ever in Europe as it eventually passes the PS2, and the DS is only one gen old! And the Wii was huge in Europe as well; it's 3rd best selling home console in the region, only behind the PS2 and PSone. And it's barely behind the PSone. Clearly Europe loves Nintendo. So why is the Wii U doing so poorly compared to other Nintendo consoles? The answer involves problems with the Wii U rather than Nintendo's perception.

The fundamental issue that most markets have the Wii U... lack of sales grabbing games.

Mario as a brand is pretty weak in Europe compared to other places, along with the fact that as others have stated Sony has a stronger grip there and for a while longer. Nintendo just dropping a new system with just some ports, a Mario game, a party game and a Zombie FPS game is not going to cut it. I have no idea how they are promoting their games and the system but Nintendo really just needs to find a game or property to grab the European and North American audiences to get better sales and build a stronger culture in the territories where they have problems.

If they didn't seem to have such bad blood with Konami and EA, a Wii U soccer game would be perfect. Instead Nintendo might just have to make one themselves although it can't be another Mario themed one.

If the U does not so well in Europe, Nintendo will be forced to do a lot of thinking, and that's a good thing. For once, they may actually resort to doing some leading in markets where simulators and non-cartooned games are sought after.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
guiduc said:
Nintendo of Europe should be burnt and restructurated from the groundup. They need more driven force and liberty.

What can they change about NoE?

NoE is fine. I like our european Satoru more than the japanese Satoru, his directs are more fun.

@OP: I heard that back in the days Atari made a lawsuit against NIntendo that delayed the NES. If it is true or not - Sega has always been comparatively stronger than in other markets. After Sega was going down Sony took that place. They put ads at soccer-games and they had FIFA. Also Formula 1. Both is big in europe.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

At least in Germany I think it's specially the price. many people I know had the Wii (the HD consoles are mainly for Football) as an extra besides PC gaming for the party games, but would not spend 400 Euros for that extra. I mean, you have the same number of PC simulation games as Wii games in big electronics retailers...

tgnevermore said:
At least in Germany I think it's specially the price. many people I know had the Wii (the HD consoles are mainly for Football) as an extra besides PC gaming for the party games, but would not spend 400 Euros for that extra. I mean, you have the same number of PC simulation games as Wii games in big electronics retailers...

Yup, many people don't see why they should pay 350€ for a WiiU in Germany when they can have a PS3 or Xbox360 for ~250€. PS4 and Nextbox will have the same problems, especially Nextbox if today's rumors are true.

Jay520 said:

Why do people keep blaming weak European sales on the economy?

TOTAL YEARLY HARDWARE SALES

Year USA Europe
2009 30,770,891 27,083,650 88.0%
2010 29,394,692 23,704,214 80.6%
2011 26,034,842 23,033,785 88.5%
2012 19,915,946 17,296,580

86.9%

Even with the recessions, European spending has been decreasing just as much as USA. Europe's spending on consoles has been pretty consistent with the USA. So why is the Wii U doing poorly in Europe rather than in USA? The answer involves problems with the Wii U rather than Europe's economy.

And this isn't a problem with Nintendo's brand power in Europe either. 3 out of the five best selling consoles in European are Nintendo consoles, lol

PosPlatformNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1 PlayStation 2 (PS2) 53.65 53.28 23.18 23.57 153.68
2 Nintendo DS (DS) - Nintendo 56.86 51.97 33.01 12.43 154.27
3 Game Boy (GB) - Nintendo 43.18 40.05 32.47 2.99 118.69
4 PlayStation (PS) 38.94 36.91 19.36 9.04 104.25
5 Wii (Wii) - Nintendo 44.36 32.54 12.68 9.21 98.79

As you can see. Nintendo is huge in Europe. The Nintendo DS will probably become the best selling console ever in Europe as it eventually passes the PS2, and the DS is only one gen old! And the Wii was huge in Europe as well; it's 3rd best selling home console in the region, only behind the PS2 and PSone. And it's barely behind the PSone. Clearly Europe loves Nintendo. So why is the Wii U doing so poorly compared to other Nintendo consoles? The answer involves problems with the Wii U rather than Nintendo's perception.

That's actually some pretty good points! But I think we have to remember that 2 out of those 3 Nintendo consoles are handhelds... I doubt NES or SNES saw similar success in EU as the rest of the lot did.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

The thing here is people are stuck in the assumption that there is always a global Number 1. But actually Sony were the first company to enjoy total success in all regions. Particularly the level of market share they attained.

Each territory has always had different preferences. The PC Engine was big in the SNES/Mega Drive generation and I think was 2nd in Japan with MEga Drive in 3rd. SEGA were always a much bigger presence in the West, but due to NES launching much much later in Europe than the rest of the world, Sega etc already had rivals in place.

The home computing scene (ZX Spectrum/Commodore 64 etc was also a lot more prominent in Europe until the early 90s meaning nobody ever had that total dominance and the NES never fully took hold. Likewise in the 16 bit battle in Europe. Mega Drive launched first and very successfully. SNES spent much of it's life coming back.

PS1 was the first system practically all gamers owned. Sega shot themselves in the foot with a ludicrous price tag for the Saturn, having already fumbled the Mega CD and 32X, and once again Nintendo found themselves 2 years late to the party.

But if you look at each market separately, it could well be the industry is back in transition and we can't bank on a single system being dominant globally again. Hell, looking at the gaming tablets/android consoles etc starting to launch, we could well be coming to the end of the "big three" market and at the end of the current console market place forever.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.