By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Failing in Europe? (What Can They Do To Get Them Back?)

Tagged games:

pretty simple really, wii only sold cause of the motion tech, the wii u doesn't have that, so unless people go crazy for the tablet, like they did the motion tech, the wii u is destined to sell 25-35 million units WW.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
Nintendo of Europe should be burnt and restructurated from the groundup. They need more driven force and liberty.

What can they change about NoE?

Are people really claiming the PS3 leads the EU market or questioning if Nintendo was ever big in Europe?

Combined sales of PS3/PSP/PSV systems in EU: ~ 51 million
Combined sales of Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS systems in EU: ~ 91 million

Help if it was so damn expensive in Europe, also add in the economic state little wonder why new gamign hardware isn't catching on.

ninjablade said:
pretty simple really, wii only sold cause of the motion tech, the wii u doesn't have that, so unless people go crazy for the tablet, like they did the motion tech, the wii u is destined to sell 25-35 million units WW.

Actually there's something to what you say here.  

The motion tech for Wii was obvious.  Why you want a tablet-screen is not obvious.

My theory (which I've said at length elsewhere) is - the 2 big hooks for the Wii U are

1) Local Multi-Player Asymmetrical Play

2) Immersion into the gaming world for Single-Player

...After thinking long and hard about the benefits and possibilities of a tablet-touch screen controller, these are the two real contributions to gaming it brings.  

Everything else it does ranges from gimmicky waste to good.  But the above 2 are Great.  And that's what I sell to the world if I'm Nintendo.  I'd reduce the Wii U to just those two things for marketing purposes, put just those two things in focus.  The rest is just gravy.

Around the Network

Nintendo should Give them money so they can buy a WiiU. That's what they should do

I think it comes down to Nintendo first party games not being as popular in Europe as in the US or Japan. Instead, football/soccer, FPS games, and racing games are the top performers. What does Nintendo have that can compete with the PS3 in those categories? I can't remember who, but I remember someone once saying that much of Europe has less nostalgia about Mario and Nintendo than the US, so Nintendo churning out Mario games doesn't equate to instant sales success there.

Has anyone considered price?

The Wii U launched for 300 euros (basic), which is nearly US$400. When the Wii launched, it was priced at 250 euros, which was US$330. Combining this with the economic issues over there, and it's not hard to see why people aren't buying it in droves.

For the purposes of comparison, consider that the Wii launched in Australia for AU$400, but the Wii U launched in Australia for AU$350 (basic). Still a bit of a ripoff, since the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now and we only have a 10% sales tax (so AU$330 might be considered reasonable), but nevertheless, the price has been adapted.

OceanJ said:
ninjablade said:

Actually there's something to what you say here.  

The motion tech for Wii was obvious.  Why you want a tablet-screen is not obvious.

My theory (which I've said at length elsewhere) is - the 2 big hooks for the Wii U are

1) Local Multi-Player Asymmetrical Play

2) Immersion into the gaming world for Single-Player

...After thinking long and hard about the benefits and possibilities of a tablet-touch screen controller, these are the two real contributions to gaming it brings.  

Everything else it does ranges from gimmicky waste to good.  But the above 2 are Great.  And that's what I sell to the world if I'm Nintendo.  I'd reduce the Wii U to just those two things for marketing purposes, put just those two things in focus.  The rest is just gravy.

Why you want a tablet screen is not obvious????? Not obvious to who? It's clearly obvious to those that have a wii u. It has been huge since day 1. The only people that can't see the benefits of a touch screen controller are hard core Nintendo haters.

Aielyn said:
Has anyone considered price?

The Wii U launched for 300 euros (basic), which is nearly US$400. When the Wii launched, it was priced at 250 euros, which was US$330. Combining this with the economic issues over there, and it's not hard to see why people aren't buying it in droves.

For the purposes of comparison, consider that the Wii launched in Australia for AU$400, but the Wii U launched in Australia for AU$350 (basic). Still a bit of a ripoff, since the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now and we only have a 10% sales tax (so AU$330 might be considered reasonable), but nevertheless, the price has been adapted.

What are you trying to say? Should Nintendo start looking into exchange rates more so certain regions don't get riped off?