By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA5 will outsell every Nintendo game this year

Will GTA5 outsell any nintendo game this year?

yes 111 48.47%

no 118 51.53%

Total:229

Yeah go for it. Btw
You'll win this bet > TOTAL WW VITA HARDWARE UNITS SOLD 2013
You won't win this one > 3DS 20mil+ by years end (2013).

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

Around the Network

It really is a mind bogglingly stupid comparision ...

The XBox 360 + PS3 have almost 150 million install base between them
The 3DS has 22 million right now and maybe 35-40 million at best by year end
GTAV launches in spring, giving it a good 8 months to sell this year on top of that
Pokemon X/Y launches in October giving it 2 1/2 months most likely at best to sell

No sh*t GTA should sell better, nothing ground breaking about that prediction.

daveJ said:
Yeah go for it. Btw
You'll win this bet > TOTAL WW VITA HARDWARE UNITS SOLD 2013
You won't win this one > 3DS 20mil+ by years end (2013).

My other bets, im a little sure about the 20mil lol, ok put in your sig, Remember the bet! Every mil over 8mil i get an extra month!!! But if i lose 2months for you :'-( ..... Good luck you'll need it!

daveJ said:
Sure sounds good
Ok here is the details... I lose if Pokemon X/Y Does not make 8mil by years end! If you win you get My sig Control for 2months starting Feb 2014 cuz of my other bet!
I win if it passes 8mil but here is the catch! I get a month for every million starting at 8mil so if it sells 9mil i got your sig for 2months, 10mil i get it for 3 months!

You realize this is taking candy from a baby, right its practically impossible for what you to say to happen

You have got to be kidding me

Pokemon will easily sell past 8m, infact it will do that within it's first few weeks

Whats worse is here are the last 5 pokemon game combos, which all launched in sep/oct on the DS and there how many sales they sold that year

2006 Pokémon Diamond / Pearl Version 4,473,692
2008 Pokémon Platinum Version 2,295,013
2009 Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver Version 3,556,510
2010 Pokémon Black / White Version 5,050,908
2012 Pokemon Black / White Version 2 6,032,311 Launched in June

Yet somehow pokemon X / pokemon Y is somehow going to perform way better, on hardware thats selling worse. I mean seriously?
GTAV will most likely do better sales than this first month

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

Around the Network

Combined? I think so.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

My bet already made! We will see the winner in Jan next year

daveJ said:
Whats worse is here are the last 5 pokemon game combos, which all launched in sep/oct on the DS and there how many sales they sold that year

Yet somehow pokemon X / pokemon Y is somehow going to perform way better, on hardware thats selling worse. I mean seriously?

I think you need to realize one thing

Every pokemon game is released in japan first, meaning you cant compare it's first year sales

Plus black and white managed to sell 14m within 1 year.

I downloaded the gta 5 video from PSN and it nothing like the screen shots.
If the video is from real game play it looks a little better then gta 4

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

daveJ said:

Did you look into any of this at all? Platinum is basically a GOTY edition, HG/SS are remakes, and BW2 are direct sequels. The only relevant games you mentioned are Diamond/Pearl and Black/White.

Diamond and Pearl didn't launch in the US or Europe until 2007... that's right, they sold almost 4.5 million in Japan alone, in about 14 weeks. Black and White didn't launch in the US or Europe until 2011 -- again, yup, they sold over 5 million in Japan alone in about 16 weeks.

Since X/Y are going to have simultaneous global releases in October, let's try looking at the first 10 weeks of sales in each region for D/P and B/W.

Diamond/Pearl: 3.43 million in Japan, 2.41 million in the US, 1.58 million in Europe. 7.42 million total.
Black/White: 4.51 million in Japan, 3.58 million in the US, 1.75 million in Europe. 9.84 million total.

That's first 10 weeks in each major region -- XY will also release in Australia and perhaps other regions at the same time. Now consider that the American and European figures above do not include any Holiday weeks. None. The Japanese figures above extend only to the end of November, not into December.

Finally, the install base. The 3DS is outpacing the DS in hardware. This is a fact. However, it is a fairly irrelevant fact, because X & Y will release later in the 3DS's life than Diamond and Pearl did in the DS's life -- at least in Japan. Speaking of Japan, the DS had an install base of 11.45 million in the region the week Diamond and Pearl released. The 3DS just hit 10 million in Japan, and will absolutely have a much larger install base than 11.5 million by October. Probably closer to 14 million.

The DS had an install base of 10.81 million in America the week of Diamond & Pearl's release. The 3DS currently has an install base of 7.88 million in America, and will be up to at least 9-10 million by October. The install base of the DS in Europe was 13.77 million the week Diamond & Pearl were released. The 3DS currently has an install base of 7.29 in Europe, and again should be over 9 million in the region by October.

Add it all up, the DS had roughly a combined install base of 36 million at the time of Diamond & Pearl's staggered launches, and the 3DS should come close to that or match it. To make a long story short, 8 million is the minimum X & Y will sell this year. If they are released in the last week of October, you may see 8 million. If they are released the first week... well, I hope you've got enough salt to make your hat palatable.