By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo profitable in 3rd quarter and year-end?

Soundwave said:

Yeah that 17 mill ... ain't happening.

I'd say they probably get to about 14 million (shipped), especially with no MH4 in Japan for Q1 2013.

I'm more along the lines of 15 million honestly. Japan should shift between 1.2-1.5 million hardware sales due to New Year sales and Dragon Quest VII. But you are right, no way they are selling 17 million. Even with Monster Hunter, 16 million would of been the maximum.

Around the Network
Vinniegambini said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah that 17 mill ... ain't happening.

I'd say they probably get to about 14 million (shipped), especially with no MH4 in Japan for Q1 2013.

I'm more along the lines of 15 million honestly. Japan should shift between 1.2-1.5 million hardware sales due to New Year sales and Dragon Quest VII. But you are right, no way they are selling 17 million. Even with Monster Hunter, 16 million would of been the maximum.

Yeah, when I saw that Mh4 was being delayed, my immediate reaction was there goes 3DS' hw and sw forecast.  

I hadn't realized what the poster earlier noted about the Yen, he's right about what he wrote. If the Yen is still around 87 per USD in the third week of January, Nintendo and Sony should end up with higher profit margins than they expected.

For what it's worth though, Sony did lose over $2 billion in the December 2011 quarter. Sony isn't really a holiday oriented entertainment company. Most of their blockbuster movies come in July for the Summer movie season if anything, music is unreliable, and Sony doesn't have an internal hit like Mario that can sell 10 million copies on cue during a Q4 to drive profit up.

Sony lost 42.5b Yen from April-Sept 2011, and then it expanded to 201.5b Yen in April to December 2011.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/viewer/11q3/

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88773/sony-ships-65m-ps3s-in-q4-11-to-lose-29b-in-fy-lowers-ps3-fcst/

Sony did profit $893m in Q4 2010 though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/83896/sony-ships-63m-ps3s-36m-psps-21m-ps2s-in-oct-dec-2010/

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Vinniegambini said:

current exchange rates are favourable.

As someone who imports a good bit, the exchange rates are still horrible. Nintendo and Sony will continue to lose millions because of it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

kowenicki said:
chriscox1121 said:
kowenicki said:
megaman79 said:
kowenicki said:

Sony or gaming?

Sony isn't just gaming as you know. Infant it's a very small part, revenue and income wise, these days

Actually I believe Sony's gaming division was the only profitable division out of all of them in the last few years.

LMAO

go do some research

It isnt even in the top 3

for example...

so what does the negative numbers mean on operating costs?

you mean on operating income?

it means a net loss.

The top part of the chart is revenue/sales

The bottom part is profit or loss, above the line profit, below is loss.  So for instance in the last quarter GAME had revenue of 148bn Yen and profit of 2.3bn yen ($26m)

oh ok, thanks so much, makes sense now

Around the Network

If they are not profitable for this quarterm I will seriously start worrying. Anyone know when they will make the numbers public?

As for the whole fiscal year, I rly hope they will be profitable but I slightly doubt it. They've been posting losses for the past 2 quarters, they would need a strong second half. It's possible and I hope I'm wrong :P

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

They still have a good chance at the 5.5million Wii U because for Nintendo sold=shipped. Even if the weekly rate drops to 200k a week which is about half of what they been currently selling a week they retail sales will easily surpass 5million.

Attach rate will go up since there will be people who still have games they want to buy from the initial launch titles. (I still have my sights on at least 4 more titles, and I already own 6 games)

So far I'm guessing they have exceeded expectation through Q3 and still have the 13 week Q4, and since they already exceed SW sales for two platforms the need for the other two platforms to meet is reduced but would be welcomed.

On that topic when does Nintendo release it Q3 results, I'm guessing in three weeks.

Metrium said:
If they are not profitable for this quarterm I will seriously start worrying. Anyone know when they will make the numbers public?

As for the whole fiscal year, I rly hope they will be profitable but I slightly doubt it. They've been posting losses for the past 2 quarters, they would need a strong second half. It's possible and I hope I'm wrong :P

January 25th :) Looking forward to it! Got some stocks in them and they are getting hammered :(

Tarumon said:
If you look at Nintendo's exchange rates on 3/31/12 of 82.19 JPYUSD vs 9/30/12 77.60 which resulted in an additional JPY 19,282,000,000 of translation loss. We can roughly estimate each 1 JPY to USD fluctuation results in 4 billion yen of losses for Nintendo. From 9/30/12 to 12/31/12, the exchange rate ameliorated by nearly 9 JPY to $1 USD. Quick and dirty math says, Nintendo gets to recover up to 36 billion yen in losses quarterly, plus the 3rd qtr is the highest sales, hard to see 12/31/12 numbers come in too ugly.

For the fiscal year, Nintendo assumed 80 jpyusd to arrive @ 20 billion yen in operating income. As of today's rate @87ish, that operating income would roughly improve to 50 billion yen, assuming rest of their assumptions come in line. Due to below expectation hardware numbers thus far, this might explain why Nintendo is extra stingy with marketing blitz? With the merger of Osaka with TSE, Nintendo stands a chance to be included in the Nikkei, so any oomph in numbers will really give the stock the boost it needs.

Good observations here, nice job.

outlawauron said:
Vinniegambini said:

current exchange rates are favourable.

As someone who imports a good bit, the exchange rates are still horrible. Nintendo and Sony will continue to lose millions because of it.

Huh?  The weaker the Yen, the more profits Sony / Nintendo make overseas...which is the bulk of their sales.

That means they make more money.