By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo profitable in 3rd quarter and year-end?

BlkPaladin said:
It's not really a loss, not many people buy the system without buying a game. And Reggie went on record and said that it only took one game sales per console to make a profit. (I'm guessing on the basic system. Because the "extras" you get with the Deluxe are not 50 more dollars. Though they are probably putting 10-to-20 dollars of loss per console for the DDP.

Well I don't think they do take a loss as of late; current exchange rates are in their favour. Nintendo claimed the hardware was selling at a loss at exchange rates of 80 US and 100 EUR respectively. They are now at 88 US and 115 EUR.

Nintendo releasing their console this quarter with current exchange rates is the best thing that could of happened to them.

Around the Network

One of my big concerns is Wii U software sales drastically missing projections.

Projected for FY2012: 24m
As of Dec. 22 according to VGChartz: *4.5m

*This figure does not include E-Shop digital-download games.

Nintendo projected a whopping 4.36 attach rate (games per console shipped).

With 15 unreported sales weeks left until March 31st, that's 1.33m / week needed to hit goal.

I can't see them coming even remotely close - unless, they count cheap Indie Dev games in this number? Does anyone know?

Also does anyone know a reliable way to project with margin of error +/- 5%, a Digital Game Sales figure for Wii U? What % of total sales have been digital for other systems, for 3DS...XBox, PS3?

If the Wii U software projections miss big, it could be the fly in the ointment preventing Nintendo from hitting FY2012 Profit projections...despite favorable Yen exchange rates.

Thoughts?