By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo profitable in 3rd quarter and year-end?

See 4 posts up :p

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
3DS hardware and software may allow them to make some small profit, but Wii U being sold below cost, combined with weak Wii U software sales is going to bog them down until they manage to turn that around. Wii's precipitous drop is also not helping matters, as that system must surely cost next to nothing to manufacture by now. Had Wii sales not dropped so much, the margins on Wii hardware alone combined with robust 3DS business in Japan may have saved them this year.

Nintendo was purposely vague with their statement about the Wii U selling at a loss.  It was a marketing ploy.  It may have only been a loss in NA.  One thing is for sure and that is the statement was assuming 80 Y/$ and 100 Y/Euro at best.  Expect to see these rates at 90 and 117 by Jan 25th respectively.  Maybe I am too optimistic but the hw maybe profitable at those rates with a $15 VC game purchase.

Another point would be most early adopters are enthusiasts and are most likely downloading a bunch of games.  I expect the high game revs to be closer than people think for the U.  The big N never predicted a tie ratio but revenue; only a moron like Patcher would only consider $60 games when evaluating that projection.  Expect some Mario U & Nintendoland DLC.  If they release a bunch of GC games they could even beat it!

Vinniegambini said:
OceanJ said:
I'm a Nintendo investor and really appreciate this thread. I've been wanting to talk about some NTDOY shares.

So here's a question. American Nintendo shares (PINK:NTDOY), are ADR's (American Depository Receipts), which allow for American's to easily invest in foreign companies.

But the shares themselves are subject to currency exchange rates. As the Yen gets weaker, the value of NTDOY shares goes down. For example say $1 = Y50 and a Japanese Nintendo share trades at Y50/share. It costs you $1 to buy a Japanese share. Now the Yen weakens to $1 = Y100, and a Nintendo share is still Y50/share...you only get 1/2 a share, and the share you bought's only worth $.50.

But at the same time Nintendo's making a lot more money as the bulk of their sales is overseas. So the value of their stock should rise.

How do we judge as an american investor in (Nintendo), whether a weaker Yen is better? Seems to be a balance equation. My guess it depends A) What the exchange rate was when you purchased your shares B) How much profit is overseas.

Guessing under only some outlier circumstances, a Weaker Yen is better for American Nintendo investors. Anybody know for sure how to figure this out?

You bring forth a very good question. I don't know the answer unfortunately. On my end though, I bought shares when they were at 14.40$ so I am in the red as of late. I should of sold when they reached 17.50$ but said to myself no, they are going to go up more, I'm kicking myself lol. Could of locked some good profits. Nevertheless, the stock is getting hammered currently and I don't know why. The Wii U sales are favorable and what people do not seem to realize is that Nintendo makes the bulk of their money on their handhelds. For example, a 3DS game will cost between 500,000 to 1.4 million to make compared to the 20 million + for consoles; thus, a greater profit margin. Furthermore, Nintendo never brings down the retail price of their games and usually have strong legs.  Nintendo posted a loss last fiscal year because of the 3DS selling at a loss and the strong yen. Imagine producing over 13 million 3DS and losing 10-15$ per console and having exchange rates against you - it hurts.

Now, that equation is taking care of: Nintendo is selling the 3DS at a profit and even more so with exchange rates now in their favour. Though the Wii U may be selling at a loss, it only takes one game to make the Wii U equation profitable. Furthermore, Nintendo produces more 3DS than Wii U's; thus, profitabily overall is more insured.

Going forward into 2013, Nintendo is well positioned for the 3DS as it has an array of titles available to help it grow.

In Japan : Dragon Quest VII and Luigi's Mansion in Q4, Monster Hunter 4 in Q1, and most likely Pokemon in Q3.

North America: Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter 3G and Luigi's Mansion in Q4, Animal Crossing in Q1.

Wii U on the other hand I am more iffy. Consumers are more demanding these days and it is normal as they want to see what they get for their dollar. Nintendo is missing that 1st party software to justify the investment. Nonetheless, Nintendo does have Lego City Undercover and Wii Fit U as aces in their hands - if they do the marketing right! Do a marketing campaign with Lego aiming for kids and it will surely sell well. Furthermore, a marketing campaign that recaptures the magic of Wii Fit and the casuals will hop in. But like I said, the marketing has to be right. I believe that is why Nintendo didn't do that much marketing during the holiday season for the Wii U (they knew the Nintendo fans will buy the first batch), they are waiting for the above titles to market.

Hence, if Nintendo plays their cards right, we might see Nintendomination once more.

Hey I got in at $14 and am kicking myself on not selling above $17 as well - like you I thought we'd see a rally off the bottom up above $18 & possibly above $20.

I too am confused as to why the shares continue to take a beating.

Your point about Nintendo profits being mostly from 3DS sales is interesting.  In investing circles you'll often hear arguments that iOS Smart-Phone & Tablet casual gaming spells doom for Nintendo - especially the handhelds.  

But for me, the good news for Nintendo, and the ultimate argument against the iOS group-think, is the 3DS is still outpacing the DS in sales after 96 weeks on the market.

The comparison is especially relevant now as both systems have each seen 2 Holiday Shopping seasons over their respective launches.  But the fact the DS was launched without any Smart-Phones or Tablets in existence and the 3DS is still outpacing it in sales - says they're having little to no negative effect at all!

I read an interview with Satoru Iwata where he noted that same stat as well.

With big 3DS hardware & software sales, the revamped e-shop, plus the weaker Yen, I cannot imagine any scenario where Nintendo isn't profitable in Q3.  If that happens I'll be totally dumbfounded, I just don't think its possible.

Yeah the Wii U is selling at a loss...but the attach rate is easily greater than 1!  And that's all the U needs to turn a profit!  

And we know the Wii is profitable.

So...logic seems to dictate that every single system Nintendo's selling is making money. Right?

Yes, it would seem that way, how much money is Nintendo making off the 3ds is the question. Like most if you, I think some investors have jumped the gun and sold off there shared cause they were expecting wii like results from the U, but if you look at each of their products, especially 3DS, they are in a very healthy position right now. I don't see any reason why Nintendo shares should be at 20$ right now. I look for them to be there by mid 2013

OceanJ said:
outlawauron said:
Vinniegambini said:

current exchange rates are favourable.

As someone who imports a good bit, the exchange rates are still horrible. Nintendo and Sony will continue to lose millions because of it.

Huh?  The weaker the Yen, the more profits Sony / Nintendo make overseas...which is the bulk of their sales.

That means they make more money.

But the yen isn't weak. It's still very strong and far too strong for their overseas business. 87 yen to 1 dollar is better than the 75-80~ it's been floating around for a year or two, but it was 130 yen to 1 dollar at the start of the generation.

Edit: I own the 5 millionith post on VgChartz. Huzzah!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
OceanJ said:
outlawauron said:
Vinniegambini said:

current exchange rates are favourable.

As someone who imports a good bit, the exchange rates are still horrible. Nintendo and Sony will continue to lose millions because of it.

Huh?  The weaker the Yen, the more profits Sony / Nintendo make overseas...which is the bulk of their sales.

That means they make more money.

But the yen isn't weak. It's still very strong and far too strong for their overseas business. 87 yen to 1 dollar is better than the 75-80~ it's been floating around for a year or two, but it was 130 yen to 1 dollar at the start of the generation.

Based on the amount in foreign currency translation loss, Nintendo's looking at most 106 Yen to Dollar to have fully recovered.  Euro has been the more painful due to their PIGS crisis.  Nintendo definitely doesn't need Yen back at 130, at 90 or above, most exporters, especially Nintendo will be in good shape.  Also remember, due to the nature of those paper losses, every year Nintendo's been stashing dollars and euros even over the last few years.  Nintendo had accounting losses when stated in Yen terms, but Nintendo of America was collecting more dollars every year.

Haha, great to see some other Nintendo investors chatting it up here. I bought it up at 13.09 in the summer and have held it since. I've looked at it as a year long investment, I'm expecting big things next fall. But I too was kicking myself for not selling over 17 when it plummeted down below 13 these last number of weeks. I really didn't expect that temporary drop and we all could have bagged some serious cash and bought back at a lower price!

But long-term I think it's an awesome investment. The 3DS install base is at a point where software is going to start driving major revenue while the hardware is no longer a drain. WiiU should contribute modestly this financial year and then start to majorly contribute next year. The best thing of all, of course, is the falling yen. If it keeps going both 3DS and WiiU should be profit machines. Yes, NTDOY holders, we want the yen to be as weak as possible! If it keeps falling Nintendo will provide massive dividends as they did in the past, making their shares highly sought-after.

Great thread, vinnie. Thanks for putting all these numbers in perspective.

I think Nintendo must be reasonably happy, even if hardware sales for Wii U are a little low. The 3DS is flying off shelves, the DS -- now almost 8 years old -- is still selling well, and the Wii U launch compares favorably to the respective launches of Xbox 360 and PS3, two systems that went on to achieve great things last generation.

I think they will be profitable very soon.

I bought NTDOY at the launch of the 3DS. I don't want to talk about it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Ouch! I hope you have patience, Megaman.