By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo profitable in 3rd quarter and year-end?

kowenicki said:

Yes I suspect, as will Sony and of course MS.

If you can't be profitable in this quarter, in this sector, then you have serious problems.

my thoughts exactly

Around the Network

Those are some major software successes mixed with major harware shortcomings. I think the WiiU will actually meet or be close though - they didn't project 5.5 mil sold, but shipped. Right now they project to around 5 mil sold, so the rest of the shipped stock would be inventory.

In any case, in the big picture I think they will beat profit projections. Software is more valuable than hardware, and the weakened yen will be massive. If they yen exceeds 90 my year end - which is very likely - Nintendo's profit for the year could be double estimates. They will then probably be printing money in 2013-14.

If you look at Nintendo's exchange rates on 3/31/12 of 82.19 JPYUSD vs 9/30/12 77.60 which resulted in an additional JPY 19,282,000,000 of translation loss. We can roughly estimate each 1 JPY to USD fluctuation results in 4 billion yen of losses for Nintendo. From 9/30/12 to 12/31/12, the exchange rate ameliorated by nearly 9 JPY to $1 USD. Quick and dirty math says, Nintendo gets to recover up to 36 billion yen in losses quarterly, plus the 3rd qtr is the highest sales, hard to see 12/31/12 numbers come in too ugly.

For the fiscal year, Nintendo assumed 80 jpyusd to arrive @ 20 billion yen in operating income. As of today's rate @87ish, that operating income would roughly improve to 50 billion yen, assuming rest of their assumptions come in line. Due to below expectation hardware numbers thus far, this might explain why Nintendo is extra stingy with marketing blitz? With the merger of Osaka with TSE, Nintendo stands a chance to be included in the Nikkei, so any oomph in numbers will really give the stock the boost it needs.

kowenicki said:

Sony or gaming?

Sony isn't just gaming as you know. Infant it's a very small part, revenue and income wise, these days

Actually I believe Sony's gaming division was the only profitable division out of all of them in the last few years.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

kowenicki said:
megaman79 said:
kowenicki said:

Sony or gaming?

Sony isn't just gaming as you know. Infant it's a very small part, revenue and income wise, these days

Actually I believe Sony's gaming division was the only profitable division out of all of them in the last few years.

LMAO

go do some research

It isnt even in the top 3

for example...

I knew Sony Financial were profitable since their inception but I didn't know it was their only one doing in Q2 o_O

edit: Music too, thank god for One Direction and Adele

Around the Network
Vinniegambini said:

- Will not be able to achieve it's projected 17 million 3DS hardware sales - 10.5 million as of December 22, 2012 according to VGChartz data

(will be revised to 15)

Where are you getting 10.5 million for 3DS?  I see over 13m on vgchartz data.

MDMAlliance said:
Vinniegambini said:

- Will not be able to achieve it's projected 17 million 3DS hardware sales - 10.5 million as of December 22, 2012 according to VGChartz data

(will be revised to 15)

In 2012 Nintendo sold over 13 million yes you are right :) However, Nintendo's Fiscal year started from April 1st 2012  until March 31st 2013. As a result, sales from January 1st until March 2012 are not shown for their fiscal year ending of 2013 :D Hope it helps.

Vinniegambini said:
MDMAlliance said:
Vinniegambini said:

(will be revised to 15)

In 2012 Nintendo sold over 13 million yes you are right :) However, Nintendo's Fiscal year started from April 1st 2012  until March 31st 2013. As a result, sales from January 1st until March 2012 are not shown for their fiscal year ending of 2013 :D Hope it helps.

Oh, okay.  That's why I was confused.  That also means that the sales aren't over until March 31st.  So there are a few months left to see what happens.  (3 months)

Yeah that 17 mill ... ain't happening.

I'd say they probably get to about 14 million (shipped), especially with no MH4 in Japan for Q1 2013.

kowenicki said:
megaman79 said:
kowenicki said:

Sony or gaming?

LMAO

go do some research

It isnt even in the top 3

for example...

so what does the negative numbers mean on operating costs?