By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ps3 will FINALLY pass the xbox360 at some point,so what,s the big deal?it,s only 2013

At this stage in the game, it feels rather meaningless.

I like the metaphor from King of Kong about playing live, in front of people. Eeking past the high score in your garage or basement, years later isn't the same thing as winning at the big event.

To go from the best-selling console of all time and market dominance to barely getting 2nd spread across three markets while Microsoft's numbers are from two markets is a failure.

Around the Network

A great fought come back win taking 6 years to achieve or a late consolation prize? PS3 will over take the X360 in second half 2013. It would require the PS3 outselling the X360 on average by 70,000 units+ per week to overtake the X360 in first half 2013.

JimmyDanger said:
Squilliam said:                                       LOADED
dsgrue3 said:                                       LIKE
sales2099 said:

A

QUOTE TRAIN

If I score the match winning goal after my friends have all given up and started leaving the field does it still count? If you're jumping for joy and everyone else is rolling their eyes it isn't quite the same.

(to rephrase my metaphor from before with your football metaphor)

Well - if there's one player left on the field - it counts.At least there's a one-on-one before you bang that goal in the back of the net.

But if you're on the field by yourself. It's nothing.

At this point - 1/3 of the players have packed up victorious, been promoted to the next division - and gone to another stadium (Wii/WiiU) - and MS and Sony are seeking a consolation goal.

Once we get to the point when there's one player left on the field - then it's keepy uppy with yourself. There's no race with one horse. We call that dressage. Or maybe steeplechase if it's a bit bumpy.

So basically - if MS or Sony move on to the next gen/new stadium - whoever's left is playing with themselves.

If MS or Sony outsell the Wii (or each other) , when they're the only player on the field  - it's onanism plain and simple, and even more so in the eyes of the general public. They see 2 out of three out there with shiny new tech - and one player still kicking around in old boots. An unless that player was top scorer for the game (ie. SNES when Sega/Sony moved on, Sony PS1/PS2 when Sega hads moved on) - the hardcore fans - as well as the casual fans who might attend a match when there's cheap tickets going - just look and go - "gee he must be trying to make up for what a bad game he had".

TLDR - When there's 2/3 players left - it's still game on. When there's only one left - it's game over. And unless that one player had "won" before the other two left - (like NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 - all previous matchwinners) - well - he's not only a loser - he's a loser who can't move on. If Sony grab 2nd spot then get their new hardware out before MS - it'll be MS in that position. And if MS keep 2nd spot by the time their new hardware is out - it'll be Sony.

Yep, thanks for backing me up haha. Anyway I suspect that the market Microsoft cares about is the market less Japan since the Japanese game market is mostly a market unto itself they have enough support to get the exported games and the major publishers likely don't factor Japan into their decision making as I doubt that the latest Call Of Duty is going to be a hit in that country for instance. From a marketing perspective it would be good for them to say 'the sequel to the best selling US/UK console' but other than that it wouldn't matter.

Tease.

This is a good point. Especially since they're both so close, it really doesn't matter. When one is 150M and the other is 20M there is a point to highlight it, but when they are within 2M of each other, does it really matter? And quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it regardless of the numbers. What ever happened to the days when gaming was about having fun?

I think the difference here is that MS fans are comparing Sony's success of PS2 generation to PS3 generation. Indeed when they are compared, Sony has lost quite a bit.

However, if we only compare based upon PS3 generation, moving into 2nd place is definitely a noteworthy figure.

Your analogies about the race being over are completely absurd and devoid of any logic. This is basically the Wii gasping for breath during an endurance race with no finish line, and the PS3 gaining on 360 with each step while both move swiftly toward the Wii.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:

I think the difference here is that MS fans are comparing Sony's success of PS2 generation to PS3 generation. Indeed when they are compared, Sony has lost quite a bit.

However, if we only compare based upon PS3 generation, moving into 2nd place is definitely a noteworthy figure.

Your analogies about the race being over are completely absurd and devoid of any logic. This is basically the Wii gasping for breath during an endurance race with no finish line, and the PS3 gaining on 360 with each step while both move swiftly toward the Wii.

Should we just completely forget the brand awareness Sony enjoyed prior to the PS3 launch, which basically saved the PS3 from complete disaster? It doesn't matter how you slice it, Microsoft is neck to neck with Sony in only 2 generations. This alone is an achievement just as the newcomer PS1 was an achievement for trumping the then well stablished Nintendo brand.

dsgrue3 said:

Your banned but ill respond to this anyway.

Its not exactly the race being over....its the people not caring that the race is continuing in one years time.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:

Its not exactly the race being over....its the people not caring that the race is continuing in one years time.

And as proven by the amount of replies and also people posting in this thread, people still care about how many are sold and who finishes above who so your point is moot.

cookingyourmama said:
sales2099 said:
dsgrue3 said:

And as proven by the amount of replies and also people posting in this thread, people still care about how many are sold and who finishes above who so your point is moot.

Well I guarantee this bears 0 significance to Nintendo fans, PS3 fans seem to REALLY care, and 360 fans are merely trying to downplay it (and rightfully so IMO).

You do realize that internet commentators are but a vocal minority in the generall mass of Wii/PS3/360. If anything it only proves the vocal minority PS3 fanatics care.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

It won't catch the 360 next year either. 2014 is when it'll happen.

Pretty unbelievable how Sony went from having 75% marketshare to being in last place for the entire duration of the gen.