By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Ps3 will FINALLY pass the xbox360 at some point,so what,s the big deal?it,s only 2013

Nevermore said:
ninjablade said:
solidpumar said:
Nevermore said:

It probably will overtake the xbox, but even if it does by a margin, I would still consider the PS3 the looser of this gen (sales wise). Why? While selling a couple more console will give Sony a nice chunk of change in their pockets, it doesn't remotely cover the extra money MS made with software sales during all that time in which they had a bigger market share. This gen will be long over by the time Sony would have truly equalled MS.

Anyway, that's just the money perspective. I still prefer the Sony exclusives over the MS and Nintendo ones.

edit: typo

If you talking about money you cant forget all the money microsoft lost with RROD.

And this gen will give a lot of money still. WiIHD shows us the current tech still has legs for nintendo to continue with similar specs on its next gen console.

there was report that 360 turned very profitable, although they still havent recovered losses from the orginal xbox

If we take these kind of factors into consideration as well, then we should also consider how much money Sony lost from the hacking debacle. Though I believe the RROD thing caused more money lost than the PSN-hacking, I don't think that the difference makes up the gap between MS and Sony.

yea the RROD is already taking into account. the 360 did good this gen profit wise.

Around the Network

well even if likely I'll still wait and see what happen before celebrating that one.... at the price tag both console are reaching a huge well marketed discounted bundle could keep the spread last longer....

and for brand strength not really.... if sony ends up being second this gen by being 2nd or 3rd console bought or 1st current gen this late in the cycle.... doesn't speak for PS brand strength at all quite the opposite.

and finally Sony is and still will be doomed even if PS3 would end up first by several million by the end of 2013.... and that's not because of PS..... as much as I dislike Sony I do think the PS is one of their top product.... but the company as whole is trugling big time and it could be fatal.... what could happen though is PS being an independent company down the line if Sony goes south.... who knows....

well so anyway if they do pass XB congrats for the achievement.... but it won't really count as a great achievement for a console in its 3rd gen coming out of an imperial victory the gen before.... while MS accomplished wonders with a second edition in a competitive and for the first time in a while revolutionized market.... I think fan boy or not we can all agree PS3 was a failure by Sony's own standards and prior track record and Nintendo and MS accomplished great thing considering the risk ninty took and how MS could have completely messed up and almost did....

ninjablade said:
Euphoria14 said:
ninjablade said:
Euphoria14 said:
Nintendo made more profit in the PS2 generation. GameCube won that gen.

the only problem is ps2 made 1000x more profit

From what I've read in this thread none of that mattered since the console began profiting around the time 360 launched.

Im just trying to follow all these crazy rules.

Dont take my posts as me being serious. I know PS2 whooped all kinds of ass.

here is a good read http://www.1up.com/news/sony-lost-ps3-ps2 it talks about ps3 wiping out all the profits from ps2,lol, thats why i can't call ps3 a winner.

I am well aware that they wiped out the PS2 profits, but that still neglects all the positives that still came out of this generation and that the PS division has been generating profit for quite a while now. No need to keep living in the past. Yes, it's good to know where you've been, but that shouldn't be used to negate where you are now. If we did then we could say that even with all the incredible growth the XBox division has made with the 360, it probably still hasn't made back the 6B they lost with the original XBox. You see? You just don't look at things that way. It is already money lost and either you can accept that and move on and try to better yourself, or you can sulk and believe that means nothing good can ever be attained from that point on. It is also commonly ignored that PS3 lost a ton of money because they used it as a trojan horse to push the very expensive Blu-Ray format.

They built up their first party and created some great new IP for the Playstation platform and more importantly they made great strides to restore their image and went from a console that was predicted to suffer an early death and went on to become the best selling console on a weekly basis and has a great shot of selling the same or more than the Playstation 1. Even if it sells 5M/year over the next 5 years it will still reach the PS1, and that is neglecting that it has a good shot at ~8-9M next year.

Profits or not, that is a great accomplishment as it gives them great momentum heading in to the next generation.

One thing the CEO of my job once told me is this: "Sometimes it is a greater accomplishment to have fallen, picked yourself back up and rise to the peak again, rather than to have stayed on the top forever."

This is the story Nintendo had during the 7th generation and it also a story that Sony has as well.

In the end of all things. depending on "how" you choose to look at, everyone this gen ends up a winner when things are truly put into perspective and you look at how everything started and ultimately finished.

PS3 is a great story of recovering when everything looked grim.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ninjablade said:
cookingyourmama said:
ninjablade said:
cookingyourmama said:
ninjablade said:
cookingyourmama said:
ninjablade said:
cookingyourmama said:
ninjablade said:
cookingyourmama said:
ninjablade said:
@cooking your mama

so your saying everything i'm saying is a based on baised opinion when infact they are all facts, lol i have admited that the ps3 will most likely out sell the 360 in the end but the fact is the 360 is coming off xbox1 a system that only sold 24 million units, while the ps3 is coming off a system that sold 160 million units, its like comparing nike to reebok, of course sony has a much bigger name brand, the fact is ps3 was not a profitable venture for sony, while 360 was, the fact is xbox brand gained market share while playstaion lost, and the fact is it doesnt matter if ps3 out sells the 360 by the end of this gen cause it won't change anything except giving bragging rights.

No what you fail to realise is that whilst some of those things are true, just like the big list of reasons i gave why the PS3 beat the 360 are also true, NONE OF THOSE THINGS MAKE IT A FACT that the 360 beat the PS3, IT IS JUST YOUR OPINION that those things you've listed matter more than who actually sells the most when in reality it doesn't.

you should look up the word fact, the fACT IS 360 WAS PROFITABLE FOR MICROSOFT, and is still beating ps3 in sales after 7 years, the fact is ps3 is a big loser for sony, they will never trun profit on the ps3, thats why i was saying it doesnt matter to them.

Oh dear, i already know what the word fact means, however sadly you don't know the difference between your opinion and what is fact. It is a fact that Microsoft have made more money on the 360 than Sony have on the PS3, it is only your opinion that means they 'won' when on a sales website that tracks unit sales and most normal sane people compare hardware and software sales by unites sold not money made.

if your talkng about fanyboys, as sane people fine then, but you want to see sony keep making ps5 and 6 its alla about profit, sony looks at this gen as a failure for them cause it was loss in the end of the day there in this business to make money not to sell at a loss.

Nope, sadly for you most places you can go to that talk about sales compare console and software unit sales not profit. And you can keep saying it till the day you die it doesn't change the fact that it's still just your opinion.

yea sure on neogaf, i always see threads about profits and losses, you know its what really matters, if we wanna keep on getting high tech systems like 360 and ps3, they have to make profit so thery can invest, i would agree with you if ps3 out sold 360 by over 10 million but were talking about 1-3 million if that and it has'nt even happened yet at the end of the generation.

Nope sadly it's just your opinion still.

ok yea your right. microsoft made bank with xbox live and 360, while sony almost went bankrupt with ps3 yet they are the winner this cause they might out sell 360 by a miliion, anybody with a brain would know who the real winner is.

Nope sadly it's just your opinion still that the winner is decided by profits not unit sales.

sadly its too hard for you too comprehend that this a business, and the winner is not determined by who ever sales 1%
 more but who actually makes profit, but sadly your probably 12. i'm sure sony would rather sale 5% less then the 360 if they can cover all there losses.

Try to keep your quote trees down to three (four tops).  Also, please try to keep things on topic.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger