By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ouch, IGN gives No More Heroes a 7.8

man i was hoping for a higher score though i will still get it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
RolStoppable said:
7.8 is a good score, it's a Wii game after all. In an earlier thread today I said that I expect NMH to end up with an average score in the low 80s on gamerankings. Seems like we'll be getting there.

Wii shouldn't get free passes.

7.8? Geez, that's not even worth my butler's butler's time.

I dont really care, Im already set on buying it at its European release.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Oh yeah, for the record I am totally picking this game up tomorrow, and scores don't mean jack to me, but they do seem to fuel conversation.

Personally, as someone from the oldschool, technical quality doesn't mean jack compared to actual fun. During the NES and SNES days I never once thought to myself "Yeah, this game is fun, but what's with the framerate, and that's the crappiest use of Mode 7 I've ever seen. I dunno, I guess it's a GOOD game, but not a great one".

No, it was all about whether or not the game was fun, and cool. And I'm still about that. So I seriously doubt pop up, and invisible boxes around the cars are going to hinder my enjoyment of what looks to be one of the most insanely stylish, fun, and bad ass games to come around in a good while. I mean if the game draws a crowd at the offices, it must have something going for it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

7.8 from ign = buzzkill in u.s. sales

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network

I'll still probably get this game just not on launch.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

The 7.8 isn't up on Metacritic or GameRankings yet, but based on the other scores it has so far (90 from Edge, which is usually pretty harsh), I think its average will hold up around 87 or so.

From what I've read it's a really endearing game, but it has some rough edges. Some reviewers are going to be less forgiving of the rough edges than others.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck
kingofwale said:
Yeah, read the review, not just look at the score, but some of the stuff said there worries me.

"...painfully low-tech visual offering. Pop-in is everywhere, control is irritating at best, and the frame rate is all over the charts. It’s an absolute mess."

It kinda makes you think, how did it even get a 7.8?

That was the one quote in particular that really stuck out for me. In my opinion, the review is overcritical. The game does lack a certain level of visual polish, and the side-job "missions" can be a bit frustrating and repetitive, but calling it an "absolute mess" is an exagerration IMO. I would have given the game a slightly higher score, but no higher than 8.5 probably. 

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

I love how in our current industry review scores are more based on the technical aspects of the game's design, rather than how much fun it is to play.  In the 90s if you mentioned texture pop-in in a review of an N64 or PSX people would just say "who the hell cares?"  and move on.  Nowadays texture pop-in takes an 8 ranges game down to the 7s.  What a joke. 

I don't think 7.8 is that low, if that's the lowest score than it's doing pretty good.