By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ouch, IGN gives No More Heroes a 7.8

it's not that bad - 7.8 is above average

Around the Network

Looks like the Boz really dropped the ball hard on this one (not that that is unheard of....). Everyone is giving it's 9s and he gave it less than 8.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

naznatips said:

Gamespot! Oh... wait... >_>

Seriously though IGN's traffic comes from more than just their game reviews, so that's not really a fair situation. In a related story, Gamespot just gave it a 9. o_O

IGN gets the lowball score on this game it seems....

Not surprised at the new ratings anyway. This is a highly anticipated title. A 7.8 is actually somewhat surprising. The rest will likely be more inline with expectations.

I sometimes wonder if reviewers actually spend time trying to guess each others' scores than actually weighing the game's characteristics for a score.

wow i like IGN better now! based on the trailer videos it looked horrible. and to people who say 78 isn't a bad score...well its not bad, its just not real good either. Everyday shooter got a higher rating and its a PSN download game.

Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

Gamespot! Oh... wait... >_>

Seriously though IGN's traffic comes from more than just their game reviews, so that's not really a fair situation. In a related story, Gamespot just gave it a 9. o_O

IGN gets the lowball score on this game it seems....

Not surprised. This is a highly anticipated title. A 7.8 is actually somewhat surprising. The rest will likely be more inline with expectations.

I sometimes wonder if reviewers actually spend time trying to guess each others' scores than actually weighing the game's characteristics for a score.

I've wondered that before too... oh well.  It's interesting that the very sidemissions Bozon bitched about, Gamespot loved, and in fact complained that there weren't enough of and that they were too short. 

Around the Network

As others have said:

IGN's low score for this one seems to be in the extreme minority. We'll see as further scores come out.

Call it the reverse SSX Blur.

So say we all, yo.

Reading this thread I really think a good review of Boz's reviews are in order. Time Out did a great issue where they reviewed reviewers. We should have a section on this website for that. We can see if one guy never gives high scores, or if his or her tastes match ours.

See thats the thing with review sites. There are to many reviewers per site. So IGN start giving games I like good scores, and game I hate low scores then I start to trust them BUT its not the site that is doing the review, its a particular reviewer.

I would really like to find the reviewers who have the same tastes as me and then I will trust those people. Not a site.

This is my signature.

mike_intellivision said:
To build upon what Rol said, there are some reviewers who mark down games if they aren't HD or wide screen.

Since the Wii games are not HD or wide screeen by definition, Wii games often start with a one-point deduction compared to those of PS3 and 360.

An interesting project would be to analyze scores to see if there is a bias for or against any console by any magazine/site/show.

Even if this is true it also noted that a game like "Galciv2" (pc game) got hit hard because it didn't have any multiplayer (while Civ4 did). So of course a reviewer as well as any gamer has their bias.

Since these reviewers review both console and PC games which are running in higher resolutiion plus anti-alaising then you can expect a reviewer notice the games still running in low resolution.

Again this is why it important you read the review so you know what the reviewer didn't like about the game.

LeeAdama said:
As others have said:

IGN's low score for this one seems to be in the extreme minority. We'll see as further scores come out.

Call it the reverse SSX Blur.

Which Bozon also reviewed as well as the Wii version Scarface with Roper. (Gave it a 85, averaged 72%)

I would suggest the man is far too technically obsessed in his reviews. I've played both Blur and Scarface and they both feel to be well thought out polished titles, yet they both felt lacking in the Fun Factor. (Especially Scarface)

Blur has nice graphics and effects (for a Wii game) the controls work very well and the Ubertricks require dedication an d precision once you realize how useless the tutorial is. But the courses and challenges are fairly generic, the characters are just different skins with slightly different stats, and it kinds of lacks personality and variety. (Something I’ve read other SSX titles are known for.)

Scarface has a lot of genius gameplay elements that fix long standing issues in sandbox roamers, a great soundtrack, polished graphics and sound, and excellent camera and shooting controls. Yet I was bored to hell playing it. It’s story missions were worthless, picky, hard, and generally repetitive, and everything else was recycled crap missions from any game, such as deliver boxes from here to there, or race checkpoint to checkpoint. The game’s “Girlfriend” missions consist of tapping the A Button four times or so. And that’s it, you win, I’m not sure if you can lose them, or what the point even was. You can’t even go on a full on rampage since Tony won’t shoot innocents.

I’ve made it clear I don’t trust game reviewers in general, in Bozon’s case I actually have specific set of reasons as why not to. =P

DMeisterJ said:
7.8? Meh. So this is pretty much a nail in the coffin of this game selling great.

Since when was 7.8 a bad score for a game? I thought that meant "above average" myself... or maybe I'm just old enough to remember when 9s and 10s didn't get thrown around all over the place. I actually think that's a very fair score for this game, which certainly has a lot more cult appeal than mainstream interest.

I mean, do you really think that No More Heroes should be getting a 9 score? I think it falls quite a bit short of that, from the (admittedly) little content I've seen. Score inflation for the win...

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)