By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Worst Moves in History

The $599.99 price tag on the PS3 and trying to beat Nintendo.

Around the Network

almost every thing that i could name all stems from that $600 price point

I know it sounds cliche but it is what it is..

ps3-sales! said:

The vita is only a fail if you're comparing sales to the psp and 3ds. As far as the hardware goes, the vita is probably the most impressive handheld gaming device ever assembled. Hopfully software picks up next year and it gets back on track with a major price cut. Remember, the 3ds struggled just as much when it launched because of the same problems (price and no software)

The 3DS did not struggle as much as the Vita is right now. People compare it to the PS3 first few years, but even then the PS3 was not this bad.

I'm also a bit suspicous of how powerful the Vita actually is. Sony managed to fool me with the Cell, but this time I'm going to wait and see if their claims about the Vita are true.

PS3 price.

The worst was when they sued people for making their Aibo robot dogs a more attractive product by programming them to dance. Leading to a giant boycott that actually forced them to rescind the lawsuit but not without some damage to their robot dog brand.

It was literally "Lets fuck up someones life because they made our lives easier, sold our product and made us a bunch of money."

$600 price point?  Any less and they'd of been killing themselves.  Anything else other then what they did, and what makes them different from 360, which launched first?

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
the focus on western market, they might lose west to Msoft and east to Nintendo, if it already hasnt happened yet PS3 R&D wasted resources

I disagree.

East is like... 10% of the console marketshare and shrinking.

It already has been mentioned but I have to go with the $599 launch price of the PS3 also.

Backwards compatibility.

In my opinion it is the absolute spit in the face move to people who collect lots of games.
I got my Wii, plays absolutely everything from its own library + the whole gamecube range, Got the 360, plays about 50% of the original Xbox games some slightly worse than others but still it plays the main ones like THPS3+4 and GTA series. Then you get the ps3slim next to them Got it's own library +..... psone games? I mean sure I love the idea that it can play games from 2 generations ago but what am I to do with the 100 odd ps2 games I have? buy them again in digital form? also I recently chucked on GTA1 on my 42inch hd tv using the ps3's ability to play it... my word nostalgia goggles are really needed to enjoy psone games on a big screen.

Imo it's equally what has hurt the psvita sales, if you buy a vita you get vita games , any psp games you got last gen are for the bin, if you wanna play them you need to buy them from the store again and worst still you need to store them on Sony brand memory which is not cheap, it's just so much easier to keep onto the psp and use that for its massive and still expanding library. When you buy a 3ds you can just put your dslite or dsi on the shelf of old things you no longer need, since any last generation DS game slots into it and plays without a bother, that helps people move to your new systems, not offering them a black bin bag and the chance to rebuy their games again.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

This thread was the worst choice of 2012, what a waste of time, a big lol at the Sony bashing on this site.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

The PS3 did a lot of mistakes. The price point. No games at the beginning, no backwards compatibility, etc.

Fortunately they managed to work it out. The PS3 is amazing machine.