By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Worst Moves in History

think-man said:
AndrewWK said:
Move, Wonderbook, Vita and tons of shitty exclusives like PSABR and LBP Karting and most of them happened this year

PSABR is my GOTY :P

I did not mean quality wise I meant saleswise. And saleswise it was a flop and far below the expectations I guess.

Around the Network

Getting rid of all their IPs from the PS1 days. Playstation needs its own "Mario" more than ever now, but anything that came close to that status like Crash or Spyro was sold off.

Vita.
PSP Go.
PSABR which is a big slap in the face saleswise while the first Super Smash Bros sold quite well.

Wonderbook is the biggest failure. Really, Sony?

I am a Sony Fanboy, so, I don't think they did anything wrong. So, stop talking bad about my Sony. /Sarcasm

Not purchasing the Spyro and the Crash IPS. For closing Zipper Interactive, they should've released Socom on the Vita and not Unit 13. Or at least Sony should have left them open to work on Socom for the Vita, to redeem themselves.

For not spreading out or letting Third Party devs release their games over time on the Vita and not in the first 4 months of it being out in the West and Japan.

PS3 was the worst and the 599.99 us dollars lol

34 years playing games.

Around the Network

How about Monster Hunter? Im not sure it was their decision since capcom owns it but psp was amazing because of it ( japan wise) They didn't even try to get it on their systems anymore? Now Nintendo is taking over the ip!

Hubris.

guiduc said:

Vita.
PSP Go.
PSABR which is a big slap in the face saleswise while the first Super Smash Bros sold quite well.

Wonderbook is the biggest failure. Really, Sony?

The vita is only a fail if you're comparing sales to the psp and 3ds. As far as the hardware goes, the vita is probably the most impressive handheld gaming device ever assembled. Hopfully software picks up next year and it gets back on track with a major price cut. Remember, the 3ds struggled just as much when it launched because of the same problems (price and no software)

Nothing much to say about PSP Go. Poor exucution, silly idea in general, just, fail....

PSABR is a fun game. Sales wise? It had pretty decent hype, and yes, it didn't deliver on that hype sales wise. Something tells me it'll have decent legs though. And SSB was VERY inovative for it's time, which is why it sold well. 

Wonderbook has great potential, but there isn't a game in it whatsoever. I do like the book idea, but only as maybe an intro to an interactive story and such. As it is, Wonderbook is just a waste of money.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

People have already mentioned most of the good ones.

- The PS3's initial price was stupid--not just for how high it was, but WHY it was so high. Neither the Blu-ray support nor the Cell's vaunted supercomputer chops did anything to convince people it was worth the premium over the 360. It wasn't until costs came down and more solid exclusives started coming out that people were willing to give it a chance. I still feel like the system would've been a much better sell even at $600 had they not been blinded by their greed over hawking proprietary tech, and focused on raw power devs could sink their teeth into right away.

- The Vita had a similar problem. In this case, the Vita itself is a wonderful piece of tech, but the competition it faces from Nintendo in the handheld space is even stiffer than what the PS3 faced with the Wii. Boneheaded decisions like the extortionate memory prices on top of a launch price that matches the PS3 served only to cut the Vita's nose off to spite it's face. Thus you see devs sticking with the 70 million PSP owners already around, or going to the 3DS instead, seeing little incentive to take a chance on a handheld that most of the market has shrugged at.

- The Go...oh God, the PSP Go. WHO at Sony told ANYONE that putting out a new PSP that doesn't take UMDs is a good idea? I can understand it with the Vita (although I don't like it) since that's a whole new console. But the Go is built to run goddamned PSP games! Ugh...

- The Move. NOTHING screamed "we're flailing desperately in a sea of red ink and incompetence" than that mess. Where was the sea of PS3 owners clamoring for an add-on that let them use motion controls? Because I sure as shit didn't see it. At least the Kinect tried something different from Nintendo in that space. The whole thing just had "Sega 32x" painted all over it.

Sony made a bunch of moves this gen that pretty much broke my faith in them. My younger days as a diehard Sony fanboy seem so long ago now.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Really, their one and only major mistake was pushing blu-ray with the PS3. The $600 PS3 was stupid, and it was a format no one really wanted. Movies were moving to online distribution and people did not want to replace their massive DVD collections with something marginally better. It was too soon and a very bad decision.

The Vita project is a big failure for similar reasons as the PS3 (price, unwanted tech) but it may have been OK if the Playstation brand hadn't been so badly damaged by PS3.

XBox360 launching early hurt them too, but that wasn't a Sony decision and there isn't much they could have done. 360 released earlier than it should have.

For me I think the $600 BluRay PS3 is the one massive bad decision that has hurt Sony possibly beyond repair.