By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is now 1 month old and has sold 1.8 million units. How is it doing?

How has the Wii U performed so far?

It's doing spectacular! I'm blown away! 126 10.09%

It's doing really good, can't complain. 418 33.47%

It's doing good, not as ... 269 21.54%

Could have been better... 176 14.09%

It's doing poorly; Wii did much better! 127 10.17%

Still can't believe they... 133 10.65%

Total:1,249
thekitchensink said:
There needs to be an option for 'exactly as much as I was hoping for' :P

well, that's no fun answer :D

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
selnor said:
ave to say. I played it for a bit. Zombie U and Nintendo Land. To be honest, I think this will be a flop.

Its got none of the wonder the Wii had when you first tried it. You could see why with the Wii everyone wanted to try it. With the Wii U that feeling is not there at all.

Zombie U has pretty bad controls. Why could it not have decent FPS controls??????????? And I expected the visuals to jump at least something. Even Perfect Dark Zero back in 2005 had much better graphics than any Xbox 1 or GC or PS2 title.

So far it doesnt come close to Halo 4.

Nintendo Land is obviously Nintys go at making another Wii Sports. Only this time, its 10 mins and not interested. With Wii Sports it was arrrgh 1 more go grandad. Lets bowl it up.

I think 2013 will show bad sales.

And what would "bad sales" be?

Hapimeses said:
Wii U. I dunno. I'm not convinced. I've bought one, but I'm not convinced.

Anyway, to answer the OP, the sales are alright. Not exceptional, but not rubbish. It's pretty much performing as I expected, which isn't brilliant news for Nintendo, as I didn't expect it to do all that well. I imagine Nintendo would love for Wii U to be another Wii, but I can't see that happening. Not as things stand.

Y'see, the Wii was simple: it had an unique user interface and it had some must-have software that everyone understood. Want to have a party? Want to get fit? Want to play Mario? You get the idea.

By comparison, what's the Wii U got? I understand it offers HD Nintendo gaming (indeed, I bought it for that), but beyond that it all gets a little muddy. What's the unique selling point here? Why should I play my Wii U instead of my PS3 or 360 or my PCs? What does the Wii U offer that I can't get elsewhere, often for better and cheaper?

There is little in the way of compelling answers to those questions, though I have seen some try to respond with enthusiasm, if not much substance.

Just look at the tablet controller, for example: it's is... well... a bit rubbish. I want to like it, but, well, I kinda don't. Perhaps it will grow on me? I dunno,. But my iPads are better. My Android tablets are better. My phones (an iPhone and Samsung Note II) are better. All of them make the Nintendo offering look cheap and rubbish by comparison. That's not good for Nintendo. There isn't something innovative, new, and exciting here. The controller just feels like a big, cheap tablet with extra bits tagged on with less-than-perfect touch controls, not like a whole new interface that I HAVE to try.

That's not ideal. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm left unimpressed. And if I'm not impressed, I imagine many others won't be as well. At least the Wii, for all it was graphically stunted, had some Wow-factor.

So, all-in-all, I'm not blown away, and I'm not convinced the Wii U will do too well until it finds a reason to exist beyond 'Play HD Nintendo!' It has about a year to sort itself out. Let's see if it does.

So would you consider the launch of PS360 to be rubbish? The Wii U is currently selling the combined numbers of PS360 - that's pretty good in my book, and only trading behind the Wii by a fairly small amount...

swii26 said:
Great sales for the first 3 weeks but they need to release/announce new upcoming games soon if they want to keep momentum going.

Whats up with the surplus of basic sets? Do people prefer black over white?

Once you go black, you know ;)

DanneSandin said:
Hapimeses said:
Wii U. I dunno. I'm not convinced. I've bought one, but I'm not convinced.

Anyway, to answer the OP, the sales are alright. Not exceptional, but not rubbish. It's pretty much performing as I expected, which isn't brilliant news for Nintendo, as I didn't expect it to do all that well. I imagine Nintendo would love for Wii U to be another Wii, but I can't see that happening. Not as things stand.

Y'see, the Wii was simple: it had an unique user interface and it had some must-have software that everyone understood. Want to have a party? Want to get fit? Want to play Mario? You get the idea.

By comparison, what's the Wii U got? I understand it offers HD Nintendo gaming (indeed, I bought it for that), but beyond that it all gets a little muddy. What's the unique selling point here? Why should I play my Wii U instead of my PS3 or 360 or my PCs? What does the Wii U offer that I can't get elsewhere, often for better and cheaper?

There is little in the way of compelling answers to those questions, though I have seen some try to respond with enthusiasm, if not much substance.

Just look at the tablet controller, for example: it's is... well... a bit rubbish. I want to like it, but, well, I kinda don't. Perhaps it will grow on me? I dunno,. But my iPads are better. My Android tablets are better. My phones (an iPhone and Samsung Note II) are better. All of them make the Nintendo offering look cheap and rubbish by comparison. That's not good for Nintendo. There isn't something innovative, new, and exciting here. The controller just feels like a big, cheap tablet with extra bits tagged on with less-than-perfect touch controls, not like a whole new interface that I HAVE to try.

That's not ideal. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm left unimpressed. And if I'm not impressed, I imagine many others won't be as well. At least the Wii, for all it was graphically stunted, had some Wow-factor.

So, all-in-all, I'm not blown away, and I'm not convinced the Wii U will do too well until it finds a reason to exist beyond 'Play HD Nintendo!' It has about a year to sort itself out. Let's see if it does.

So would you consider the launch of PS360 to be rubbish? The Wii U is currently selling the combined numbers of PS360 - that's pretty good in my book, and only trading behind the Wii by a fairly small amount...

and making profit per game.

The others had to wait years.

Around the Network

Mean while second week sales for Japan were released by Media Create, it maintained some launch momentum and was only outsold by the 3DSLL, I have a feeling in this gen Japan will be very heavily Nintendo dominated more so then before.

Viper1 said:
TopCat said:
Viper1 said:
The Wii U will have UE4 but whether Epic gives the engine active support on Wii U or not is the question.

"...if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could,"
-Marc Rein

That actually confirms nothing, because the UE3 and UE4 will have similar infrastructure. Porting/downscaling from the UE4 to the UE3 should/would not be hard. What he said doesn't confirm that the EU4 would work on the Wii U in any way.

That pretty much conforms you can put a UE4 game on the Wii U.  Are you suggesting that the Wii U would have to use a UE3 version of the game but everything else all the way down to cell phones could run UE4?

Until we see a confirmation for a Wii U compatible version of the engine, we can only assume that it would be able to run it. Until then, the only Unreal Engine version compatible with the Wii U is the UE3.

So far so good for me. Im a busy guy personally, and have more games than I have time to play them. I just beat Xenoblade last night and I've had the game since it released in North America. Blops 2 is sucking up the rest of my time and for a few hours a week I play assassins creed 3. There are so many great games on the console already that once I am done with those two games I have plenty to look forward to. The next few months are also promising. Pkimin 3 imo is the best looking console game Ive ever seen, and Lego City Undercover, Aliens, Monster Hunter, and Rayman also look like worthy additions to the library.

Miiverse is just plain awesome what else can be said?

And backwards compatitiblity with my Wii stuff helps a great deal. All in all its a great console, with one of the best launches in history and a future that looks bright. The 8th generation is going to be most interesting imo simply because of all the contenders. Tablets, Steambox, PC, Sony, MS, Nintendo. Thats alot of people vying for your dollar. I think exclusives are going to really sell consoles this year and so far Nintendo is doing pretty good on that front.

Games are fun.

TopCat said:
Viper1 said:
TopCat said:
Viper1 said:
The Wii U will have UE4 but whether Epic gives the engine active support on Wii U or not is the question.

"...if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could,"
-Marc Rein

That actually confirms nothing, because the UE3 and UE4 will have similar infrastructure. Porting/downscaling from the UE4 to the UE3 should/would not be hard. What he said doesn't confirm that the EU4 would work on the Wii U in any way.

That pretty much conforms you can put a UE4 game on the Wii U.  Are you suggesting that the Wii U would have to use a UE3 version of the game but everything else all the way down to cell phones could run UE4?

Until we see a confirmation for a Wii U compatible version of the engine, we can only assume that it would be able to run it. Until then, the only Unreal Engine version compatible with the Wii U is the UE3.

That's like saying until we see confirmation of the PS4/Next X version, it's only for PC.

But you are correct that the latest UE version publicaly known for Wii U is UE3.  But how does that fact disprove Marc Rein's own statement or my original post about ports?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I thought it would have a better start than the Wii, but fade off really quickly in Q1 2013. A big launch with poor numbers following shortly after for a while.

Expected NSMB to do launch wonders.
Thought supply wouldnt be a problem, while the Wii was sold out everywhere.
It had, or seemed to have, a healthy launch library.

Expected ~2.3 Million in a Month. In all honesty though, over 1.4M is still really good.