By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is now 1 month old and has sold 1.8 million units. How is it doing?

How has the Wii U performed so far?

It's doing spectacular! I'm blown away! 126 10.09%

It's doing really good, can't complain. 418 33.47%

It's doing good, not as ... 269 21.54%

Could have been better... 176 14.09%

It's doing poorly; Wii did much better! 127 10.17%

Still can't believe they... 133 10.65%

Total:1,249
Viper1 said:
AndrewWK said:
I think nobody expected it to do as good as the Wii did. 1.4 million units is allright. What bothers me is the lack of upcoming titles. Rayman Legends is coming in January, Pikmin 3 sometime later in the or 2014 and same goes for Bayonetta. And that is the biggest problem Nintendo has. If they would have announced a HD Zelda, a new Metroid or even I don´t Donkey Kong Country U. They system would have sold 30% more I think.

Pikmin 3 is scheduled for Q2 2013 which means April 1 - June 30.   And Nintendo is simply concentrating on this launch period for titles.   They'll announce more for Q2 and Q3 during their annual January investor relations meeting.

Yeah but didn´t the have some kind of press conference a couple of weeks back where they announced nothing. And because of the lack of upcoming titles I don´t see why I should buy a WiiU just yet. The only title worth getting so far imo is NSMBU and I don´t wanna play this game for two months. And thats a problem. I don´t want a new console to play old Wii games.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Excluding Monster Hunter and ZombiU, 3rd party software sales are abysmal. Third parties might withdraw from the system even earlier than for Wii, not to mention the fact that porting PS4/X720 games will be even harder. WiiU's game library will suffer from that and it will hamper its success in the long run.

Really?  Porting from a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (PS3/X360) to a single core, fixed function TEV architecture (Wii) is easier than porting from a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (PS4/Next X) to a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (Wii U)?

Do tell us more.

No, I was comparing PS3/360 to WiiU (equivalent power) and PS4/X720 to WiiU (difference in power, new engines). But I'm not a tech guy, I may be wrong.

It's only behind the Wii at this point in sales by about 250k, despite being more expensive and coming out in a much worse economic climate. I'd say it's doing pretty good.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Overall it is doing very well with a few soft-spots ...

In terms of sales, in North America it is doing as well as any console has, in Japan it has had a strong launch, but it is moderately weak in Europe at the moment.

Games wise, it actually has a very strong line-up of games even though many are rushed ports and I think it is a safe bet that early in the new year Nintendo will have a press conference where they announce the games that will be released before E3; and we're likely going to see many of the already announced Wii U games make the list, but it is possible some of those could be delayed and other titles could be announced. The big question is surrounding third party support and I suspect most of what we see from them before E3 will be fairly quick and dirty ports, some low budget games from unknown studios, and licensed shovelware; which is typical of most consoles at this point in their life.

As far as services goes, I haven't spent much time with it but Miiverse is interesting and I really hope Nintendo constantly expands this. If I was in charge of Nintendo, I would look to add fairly major features ever 3 months; and one of the features I would add first is screenshot sharing.

I think its doing really well, can't really complain, we already have 8 games for the system (2 currently waiting for the 25th)

NSMB U (Awesome)
Nintendo Land (Awesome)
AC 3 (Assassins Creed is Assassins Creed, fun if repetitive)
Madden 13 (EA Game, was a gift so ok, its still a decent game).
Black Ops 2 (Good game, hard for me as a PC Gamer to get into a console FPS!)
Zombi U (Scary as hell, and I have to play it during the night)
Sing Party (No idea how, its a gift for the wife who wanted it, she thinks it looks great)
Mass Effect 3 (Its another gift coming and its EA so TBD)

Our whole family enjoys the Wii U and I have sold 5 other people on it, in fact one couple planned to get their kids a 360 for their kids room, when I was looking at the Wii U kiosk the other day and got themselves excited, liked the system and bought it instead with the dad being most impressed by the Nintendo TVii features.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:

Yeah but didn´t the have some kind of press conference a couple of weeks back where they announced nothing. And because of the lack of upcoming titles I don´t see why I should buy a WiiU just yet. The only title worth getting so far imo is NSMBU and I don´t wanna play this game for two months. And thats a problem. I don´t want a new console to play old Wii games.

I think it's safe to say, based on history, that they'll support their own console at least for the first several years.   But as I said, they've not announced anything past Q1 except for Pikmin 3 which was originally a Q1 title anyway.  The point of this concentration is because there are so many games for the launch compared to most console launches that they don't want to focus on something 6+ months away.  This has actualy been their strategy for the past several years.   Remember that Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn were not announced until just a few months before they launched.  With regards to Wii U, we didn't even know Black Ops 2 was officially on the console until a few weeks before launch.

I'm not saying it's a great policy but it's not a new one either.   They always announce their Q2-Q3 games at their annual January invester relations meeting.

ryuzaki57 said:
Viper1 said:

Really?  Porting from a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (PS3/X360) to a single core, fixed function TEV architecture (Wii) is easier than porting from a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (PS4/Next X) to a multi-core, programmable shader architecture (Wii U)?

No, I was comparing PS3/360 to WiiU (equivalent power) and PS4/X720 to WiiU (difference in power, new engines). But I'm not a tech guy, I may be wrong.

Power isn't the only factor.  Architecture also plays a huge part in the ease of porting.  Given tha the difference in power will should be less and the architecture now comparable, porting should actually much easier.

I guess an easy way to think of it is this.   The Wii couldn't handle UE3 but the Wii U will have UE4.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
AndrewWK said:

I think it's safe to say, based on history, that they'll support their own console at least for the first several years.   But as I said, they've not announced anything past Q1 except for Pikmin 3 which was originally a Q1 title anyway.  The point of this concentration is because there are so many games for the launch compared to most console launches that they don't want to focus on something 6+ months away.  This has actualy been their strategy for the past several years.   Remember that Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby's Epic Yarn were not announced until just a few months before they launched.  With regards to Wii U, we didn't even know Black Ops 2 was officially on the console until a few weeks before launch.

I'm not saying it's a great policy but it's not a new one either.   They always announce their Q2-Q3 games at their annual January invester relations meeting.

ryuzaki57 said:
Viper1 said:

Power isn't the only factor.  Architecture also plays a huge part in the ease of porting.  Given tha the difference in power will should be less and the architecture now comparable, porting should actually much easier.

I guess an easy way to think of it is this.   The Wii couldn't handle UE3 but the Wii U will have UE4.

Until I see the UE4 running on the Wii U, I would not believe it. So far it's only been confirmed that the Wii U can handle the UE3 and that it supports it... We'll see about the rest, I guess.

TopCat said:

Until I see the UE4 running on the Wii U, I would not believe it. So far it's only been confirmed that the Wii U can handle the UE3 and that it supports it... We'll see about the rest, I guess.

I think Epic said their will be no Wii U support for the UE4 or am I confusing them with Crytek. I know one developer said they wont support the Wii U just yet.

Great sales for the first 3 weeks but they need to release/announce new upcoming games soon if they want to keep momentum going.

Whats up with the surplus of basic sets? Do people prefer black over white?

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

AndrewWK said:
TopCat said:

I think Epic said their will be no Wii U support for the UE4 or am I confusing them with Crytek. I know one developer said they wont support the Wii U just yet.

I am pretty sure that Epic said that for now, there will be no Wii U support for the UE4. Crytek said (afaik) that the Wii U can run it (The Cry Engine 3), but they are not making Crysis 3 for it so....