By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Nintendo add a capacitive touch screen in a WiiU redesign?

Capacitive or no?

Give me a more responsive one! 33 21.85%

It's fine the way it is ... 118 78.15%

Total:151
dahuman said:

Seriously guys, some of you just don't read my posts from above so here are some demo videos from like 2009:

That's impressive ...

As I said in my post my information was a couple years old. From what I remember, there were no hard technical limitations to either technology doing anything it was just more complicate/expensive to do certain things with each technology.

Around the Network
Lusche said:
Mnementh said:
A capacitive touchscreen would be a step back for the WiiU. While capacitive touchscreens have advantages, they allow only the input with fingers, while the resistive touchscreens allow both, fingers and stylus. The higher accuracy of a stylus allows better drawings, something that is currently much used in Miiverse. Some people have really great skills at that. With capacitive touchscreen your drawings would be inferior.

Also Yoshis fruitcart would be really frustrating with capacitive touch: some fruits are directly besides traps, it would be nearly impossible to solve that with fingers.

pro capacitive:
* multitouch
* better responsiveness for input with fingers

pro resistive:
* better accuracy with stylus (allowing drawings)
* allowing input from stylus AND fingers

I thought there also are stylus for capacitive available ?

Wacom for example making them ...
http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9221&spid=0&lang=en
so all pros are now also on the capacitive ones ...

but I dont think we need a capacitice one ... the resistive is doing its job well enough for what it should do.
But dont say its better because you only can use stylus on that one. Its cheaper and its doing it fine would be better :)

Wacom is another technology and not at all touch-based. The stylus (which have to be a special Wacom-one) induces an electric field that is sensed by the sensors under the display. So you cannot use Wacom-stylus on a capacitative screen, you can only use them, if it has ADDITIONALLY built in Wacom-technology. the Samsung galaxy-note does that for instance. Wacom-technology is also not cheap. so the alternative would have been to build in capacitative touchscreen+wacom-technology into the gamepad. That would have increased the price.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Wacom is another technology and not at all touch-based. The stylus (which have to be a special Wacom-one) induces an electric field that is sensed by the sensors under the display. So you cannot use Wacom-stylus on a capacitative screen, you can only use them, if it has ADDITIONALLY built in Wacom-technology. the Samsung galaxy-note does that for instance. Wacom-technology is also not cheap. so the alternative would have been to build in capacitative touchscreen+wacom-technology into the gamepad. That would have increased the price.

ehm no ? I have one and it works on my old iphone 3g and my new htc one x ?

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9221&spid=1&lang=en

Compatibility

• Compatible with all media tablets using capacitive touch technology

Lusche said:
Mnementh said:

ehm no ? I have one and it works on my old iphone 3g and my new htc one x ?

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9221&spid=1&lang=en

Compatibility

• Compatible with all media tablets using capacitive touch technology

Ah, these things. I misunderstood you. If yopu look at them, you will notice, they are not formed like usually stylus do, but instead have basically the form of a fingertip (round). In difference to usual stylus they have no sharp point, so you lose the accuracy the same way, you lose them with fingers. So these bamboo "stylus" have no point at all. Use your fingers, it's the same, you don't win accuracy, except you have really big fingers.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Ah, these things. I misunderstood you. If yopu look at them, you will notice, they are not formed like usually stylus do, but instead have basically the form of a fingertip (round). In difference to usual stylus they have no sharp point, so you lose the accuracy the same way, you lose them with fingers. So these bamboo "stylus" have no point at all. Use your fingers, it's the same, you don't win accuracy, except you have really big fingers.

you might be right about accuracy ... but havent used them on a 7or10inch tablet yet ...
but compared to the small screen my wacom tablet with the small tip is indeed more accurate.

and those pens arent cheap either.
idk how much the name wacom is in that price, but it would be too expensive for nintendo to use anyway.
they were like 30 euros.

Around the Network

fingerprinting?

I'm no artist. But I just did this in paint park using the vita and one of those 10 dollar pens from walmart. I bet someone with better skills could do a lot better than me. But i really don't see where some of you claim that resistive touch screen is better. I have both a vita and a Wii U and i far prefer the vita's screen to the Wii U. The game pad screen is not as responsive as the vita.

Mmmfishtacos said:
I'm no artist. But I just did this in paint park using the vita and one of those 10 dollar pens from walmart. I bet someone with better skills could do a lot better than me. But i really don't see where some of you claim that resistive touch screen is better. I have both a vita and a Wii U and i far prefer the vita's screen to the Wii U. The game pad screen is not as responsive as the vita.

After seeing all the pictures people post on the Miiverse I beg to differ.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

After seeing all the pictures people post on the Miiverse I beg to differ.

Ive seen them, and color me not impressed. They suffer from the same faults as i see in paint park.

It would be nice, but I doubt Nintendo would do it.