By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Nintendo add a capacitive touch screen in a WiiU redesign?

Capacitive or no?

Give me a more responsive one! 33 21.85%

It's fine the way it is ... 118 78.15%

Total:151
dahuman said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
bananaking21 said:
gergroy said:
spurgeonryan said:
If it makes it more accurate then lets do it!

it wouldn't, capactive might make touch with your fingers slightly more responsive, but not enough to be that noticeable.  However, you would lose the very precise stylus touch.  

Capactive touch screens really only make sense if you are adding multi touch.  However, like the OP said, Nintendo can't really do that without fracturing their base.  So, basically, you would lose more than you would gain if Nintendo did this.  

slightly more responsive? no its way more responsive

It is more responsive and noticeably.

Responsiveness depends on the sensitivity dial and the amount of processor power used to register that touch. I've seen plenty of shitty capacitive touch devices just as I've seen a lot of shitty resistive, saying one is more responsive than another is kinda weak since you are not supposed to use them the same way.

no, its very well known that capacitve touch screens are miles ahead of resistive touch screens in terms of sensativity. just because you used a crappy capactive touch screen doesnt make them any less superior. fact is wiiU's touch screen is 4 year old tech, simple as that

Around the Network

Resistive screens have become decent enough for touch controls, nothing like the old PDA's.

Regarding multi-touch, current resistive screens can actually detect two pressure points: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=65924

platformmaster918 said:

you really want to pull out your stylus in the middle of a game all the time?  I would rather use my fingers.

I'd rather pull out a stylus to play a sequel to Picross 3D.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

The only thing I wish is a better Miiverse experience. I write with my left hand (do everything else with my right). When I draw pictures for Miiverse I sometimes rub my hand against the screen which causes lines to be drawn all over my drawing. I have even clicked on the exit button a few times (and it just exits out with no warning like do you want to exit or not). So I have wasted at least 20-30 mins trying to draw things on the gamepad for Miiverse resulting in nothing. Make the Miiverse drawing experience better is all I want right now. I don't give a damn about multi touch.

Mmmfishtacos said:
osed125 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
I'm no artist. But I just did this in paint park using the vita and one of those 10 dollar pens from walmart. I bet someone with better skills could do a lot better than me. But i really don't see where some of you claim that resistive touch screen is better. I have both a vita and a Wii U and i far prefer the vita's screen to the Wii U. The game pad screen is not as responsive as the vita.

After seeing all the pictures people post on the Miiverse I beg to differ.

Ive seen them, and color me not impressed. They suffer from the same faults as i see in paint park.

Almost all "artist" will agree that resistive touchscreen are way better for drawing than the captive touchscreen, simple because you get far more accuracy with a stylus than you fingers, and also since most "artist" don't like to paint with their fingers. Also, the captive is far more sensitive than the resistive which some artist don't really like. 

I mentioned this because I have various friends studying art and they know about this stuff, and all of them have a resitive touch screen for their drawings. 

Drawings aside, will these help in gaming? Not really imo, that's why there are physical bottoms. And correct me if I'm wrong but no game on the Vita have really benefit from the multitouch screen, most used the back touch thingy which works fine, but most games I played on the Vita only used the front screen for only one touch or don't used it at all.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Mmmfishtacos said:
osed125 said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
I'm no artist. But I just did this in paint park using the vita and one of those 10 dollar pens from walmart. I bet someone with better skills could do a lot better than me. But i really don't see where some of you claim that resistive touch screen is better. I have both a vita and a Wii U and i far prefer the vita's screen to the Wii U. The game pad screen is not as responsive as the vita.

After seeing all the pictures people post on the Miiverse I beg to differ.

Ive seen them, and color me not impressed. They suffer from the same faults as i see in paint park.

Not to be an insult but your picture looks like shit compared to most popular drawings on Miiverse.

Around the Network

I would prefer a higher resolution screen or at least something with a better picture quality. Playing off screen is useless to me because the image quality is so bad.

Let the old games function the same way, but for off tv stuff and web browsing and videos I'd love a Wii U tablet with a higher quality screen.

Soundwave said:
I would prefer a higher resolution screen or at least something with a better picture quality. Playing off screen is useless to me because the image quality is so bad.

Let the old games function the same way, but for off tv stuff and web browsing and videos I'd love a Wii U tablet with a higher quality screen.

So you want a retina display.

The touch screen is fine the way it is. I haven't experienced any problems of unresponsiveness with the touchscreen.

What I want most now is a (much) faster OS and Internet speed. The OS is terribly slow, it shouldn't take that long to load Youtube or the Webbrowser, and the internet speed (wired) is also way below my isp (17-18 MBit down, 4 Mbit up as opposed to +/- 95 MBit up and down). My PC and X360 run fine so I'm assuming it's a software problem and therefor should be easily fixed.

Baron said:
The touch screen is fine the way it is. I haven't experienced any problems of unresponsiveness with the touchscreen.

What I want most now is a (much) faster OS and Internet speed. The OS is terribly slow, it shouldn't take that long to load Youtube or the Webbrowser, and the internet speed (wired) is also way below my isp (17-18 MBit down, 4 Mbit up as opposed to +/- 95 MBit up and down). My PC and X360 run fine so I'm assuming it's a software problem and therefor should be easily fixed.

Web browser and other apps don't take too long for me to load.  Sure there is some down time with launching different application on the Wii U but it seems to be getting better for me.  I bet I could surf the web on my Wii U faster than you on a slower connection speed than your 360 (I'm 20 mbps d/l and 2 upload).

sethnintendo said:
Baron said:

Web browser and other apps don't take too long for me to load.  Sure there is some down time with launching different application on the Wii U but it seems to be getting better for me.  I bet I could surf the web on my Wii U faster than you on a slower connection speed than your 360 (I'm 20 mbps d/l and 2 upload).

I've compared it to my laptop (windows 7 + wifi @ 70 MBit) and my XBox 360 (wired). The Wii U (wired or Wifi) for me was significantly slower.