By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Up! Media Create Famitsu - Week 49, Dec 03 - Dec 09

GO YAKUZA5!!!

Around the Network

YOURE NOT NOCTIS. I don't care for your permissions!

But more seriously, insane week for Nintendo in Japan. 3DS up a monstrous amount is the biggest surprise. Enjoy it :P

Next week will be the kicker for Wii-U. Genuinely intrigued how well it will do. It has pretty much everything Nintendo can throw at it to ensure success, so it should at least hold on to the majority of its sales!

Decent opening for Yakuza, about what I was expecting. Vita up a minuscule amount with no releases. Baby steps, I'll take it. And no PSP software in the top 20. MY GOD.

Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
OMG the Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney drop! I'm devastated, this game is so fabulous... Another victim of the nintendo monopoly on 3DS. But it's not that bad because it means that the franchises will come to Vita in the future.

The WiiU launch is interesting, because nearly all the games bombed. Only the awaited big sellers achieved decent numbers : WiiU is in for a big drop next week. The TecmoKoei games were very weak in particular despite the numerous bonuses of the WiiU versions : I hope it will teach those publishers not to betray their existing PS3 fanbase.

From start to finish...I'm amused. 

+1

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

ryuzaki57 said:
OMG the Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney drop! I'm devastated, this game is so fabulous... Another victim of the nintendo monopoly on 3DS. But it's not that bad because it means that the franchises will come to Vita in the future.

The WiiU launch is interesting, because nearly all the games bombed. Only the awaited big sellers achieved decent numbers : WiiU is in for a big drop next week. The TecmoKoei games were very weak in particular despite the numerous bonuses of the WiiU versions : I hope it will teach those publishers not to betray their existing PS3 fanbase.

Watch out... we got a badass over here.

Kenology said:
Wii U had a very solid launch. Now is the big test. A Vita-esque drop of death would be a disaster. Next week's numbers will be VERY telling.

Hopefully Mario and MoHun HD will be enough to keep a good amount of people interested in making a purchase this week and through the holidays.

Well, MARIO IS a longtail seller, and MH3 IS a big title, plus there's the DQX beta thing.  I think WiiU is safe in Japan.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I'd be amused too, but the truth is that the above falls pretty much in line with the mindsets of (almost) all third parties. Remember the Wii, a console that held a higher than 66% market share in Japan (among seventh generation home consoles)? Yet Japanese third party support was even worse than the West's whose support was awful.

And the 3DS, the successor to the DS, a system that sold 33m units in Japan? It's now almost two years old, yet third party support has been coming very slowly, because third parties would have liked the PSV to take over from the fading PSP.

Do you think Nintendo is being purposely blacklisted?  Maybe not so much in Japan, but certainly in the West perhaps?

Good sales all around! In a way it is holiday season for Japan.

Kenology said:
RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

I'd be amused too, but the truth is that the above falls pretty much in line with the mindsets of (almost) all third parties. Remember the Wii, a console that held a higher than 66% market share in Japan (among seventh generation home consoles)? Yet Japanese third party support was even worse than the West's whose support was awful.

And the 3DS, the successor to the DS, a system that sold 33m units in Japan? It's now almost two years old, yet third party support has been coming very slowly, because third parties would have liked the PSV to take over from the fading PSP.

Do you think Nintendo is being purposely blacklisted?  Maybe not so much in Japan, but certainly in the West perhaps?

The situation in Japan will probably looked at differently; MH3 is a core game, so to have it chart alongside MARIO is very telling.  And that it cleared 100k as well.

guiduc said:

It's impressive for Nintendo because Nintendo Japan does its job fine and got real timing to sustain the momentum. In NA et EU, it's a complete different story. Reggie should stop donkey around and actually try a more agressive approach to the market by opening new studios, encourage more third parties and give more resources to Retro Studios.

I agree, but do NoA and NoE actually have any pull power? Or they are just generals of a Japanese HQ following orders?

Kenology said:
RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:

So, it's all just a conspiracy?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.