By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Up! Media Create Famitsu - Week 49, Dec 03 - Dec 09

Cobretti2 said:
guiduc said:

It's impressive for Nintendo because Nintendo Japan does its job fine and got real timing to sustain the momentum. In NA et EU, it's a complete different story. Reggie should stop donkey around and actually try a more agressive approach to the market by opening new studios, encourage more third parties and give more resources to Retro Studios.

I agree, but do NoA and NoE actually have any pull power? Or they are just generals of a Japanese HQ following orders?

If it's the case, then there is a big communication issue between the three. The best way would be for NOA and NOE to have more independance concerning localization and game creation.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
YOURE NOT NOCTIS. I don't care for your permissions!

But more seriously, insane week for Nintendo in Japan. 3DS up a monstrous amount is the biggest surprise. Enjoy it :P

Next week will be the kicker for Wii-U. Genuinely intrigued how well it will do. It has pretty much everything Nintendo can throw at it to ensure success, so it should at least hold on to the majority of its sales!

Decent opening for Yakuza, about what I was expecting. Vita up a minuscule amount with no releases. Baby steps, I'll take it. And no PSP software in the top 20. MY GOD.

LOL!

It's actually down according to both Fam & MC (albeit by a "minuscule" amount).

jonnybmk said:

LOL!

It's actually down according to both Fam & MC (albeit by a "minuscule" amount).

LOL!

It's up on Famitsu by ~ 1200, down on Media Create by ~ 30.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150924&page=1

If you need to refresh your memory.

Judging by VGChartz's method of adding the two score together and dividing by two to get their Japanese numbers (or thereabouts), that means it will actually be up for this week.  By a minuscule amount.

Hence my comment.

EDIT: I must be dyslesic.

jonnybmk said:

Dec 03 - Dec 09

MC: 11,039

FAM: 10,348

AVG: 10,694

Nov 26 - Dec 02

MC: 11,066

FAM: 9,830

AVG: 10,448

It's down my friend (small amount).

In what way is 10,694 less than 10,448?

edit: nvm, I see you've come to your senses.  Leaving this quote here for completion's sake though :P

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
jonnybmk said:

Dec 03 - Dec 09

MC: 11,039

FAM: 10,348

AVG: 10,694

Nov 26 - Dec 02

MC: 11,066

FAM: 9,830

AVG: 10,448

It's down my friend (small amount).

In what way is 10,694 less than 10,448?

edit: nvm, I see you've come to your senses.  Leaving this quote here for completion's sake though :P

It's not. I screwed up. You're right; it's up like 150.

outlawauron said:
Kenology said:
RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
OMG the Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney drop! I'm devastated, this game is so fabulous... Another victim of the nintendo monopoly on 3DS. But it's not that bad because it means that the franchises will come to Vita in the future.

The WiiU launch is interesting, because nearly all the games bombed. Only the awaited big sellers achieved decent numbers : WiiU is in for a big drop next week. The TecmoKoei games were very weak in particular despite the numerous bonuses of the WiiU versions : I hope it will teach those publishers not to betray their existing PS3 fanbase.

From start to finish...I'm amused.

I'd be amused too, but the truth is that the above falls pretty much in line with the mindsets of (almost) all third parties. Remember the Wii, a console that held a higher than 66% market share in Japan (among seventh generation home consoles)? Yet Japanese third party support was even worse than the West's whose support was awful.

And the 3DS, the successor to the DS, a system that sold 33m units in Japan? It's now almost two years old, yet third party support has been coming very slowly, because third parties would have liked the PSV to take over from the fading PSP.

Do you think Nintendo is being purposely blacklisted?  Maybe not so much in Japan, but certainly in the West perhaps?

So, it's all just a conspiracy?

I mean, it's at least something that might be worth considering.  Not a conspiracy, but based on how some 3rd parties have acted in the past (particularly the Wii days) and what some have said, it's almost clear that quite a bit of them wouldn't mind an industry without Nintendo in it.  This might explain the doom articles we get from the establishment press even when Nintendo was hitting record numbers in sales and posting record profits.

smbu2000 said:
vfguy said:
Interesting. Maybe Nintendo has solved the supply constraints, at least in Japan.

I went to Yodobashi Camera in Kyoto today and they had a huge Wii U section and about 60 systems stacked behind the counter.

Zombi U had an entire shelf to itself. It was nice to see a Western title featured so prominently.

Yodobashi, btw, is one of the world's largest electronics stores (think 2 or 3 Fry's Electronics stacked).

Every place I have been this week (2 independents and 2 chain electronics stores) they have had plenty of systems in all of the configurations.

Does anyone know if Japan is usually supply constrained after launch (this is my first system launch in Japan)?

Are the Wii U numbers good if the system is not supply constrained? Will this result in a big drop for this week, as anyone who wanted a system could have bought one?

Is the system really that available over there? Or did they just get a new shipment in? 

I was checking out the big stores; Bic Camera, Sofmap and several smaller GEOs, in my city (Nagoya) and they were all sold out on Tuesday when I went. I checked out a large game/hobby store in Gifu on Wednesday as well and they were sold out.

On Sunday I saw a basic bundle available at a large department store, but they were out of premiums.

I don'tknow if they were just replenished. The only place i have visited twice is one of the independents. Sofmap had many bundles in stock at 8pm on launch day.

Amazon and rakuten also have them in stock.

N-Magic said:
VGKing said:
N-Magic said:
its soo amazing to see nintendo. 88% and sony only 11%

great 3ds
bomba wii u.! just 2 day monster wii u

Why do you say it like that? "just 2 days"

You think it will sell better next week when it has 7? I can tell your right now it won't. These "2 day" sales include months and months of pre-orders.

in final day of launch its most important  to buy!! for example look at CoD 1.2m of pre-orders and when its day to buy (1-7)Week 7m

Software and Hardware are different. Besides if anything, first day of launch is much more important than the last.

RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
ryuzaki57 said:
OMG the Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney drop! I'm devastated, this game is so fabulous... Another victim of the nintendo monopoly on 3DS. But it's not that bad because it means that the franchises will come to Vita in the future.

The WiiU launch is interesting, because nearly all the games bombed. Only the awaited big sellers achieved decent numbers : WiiU is in for a big drop next week. The TecmoKoei games were very weak in particular despite the numerous bonuses of the WiiU versions : I hope it will teach those publishers not to betray their existing PS3 fanbase.

From start to finish...I'm amused.

I'd be amused too, but the truth is that the above falls pretty much in line with the mindsets of (almost) all third parties. Remember the Wii, a console that held a higher than 66% market share in Japan (among seventh generation home consoles)? Yet Japanese third party support was even worse than the West's whose support was awful.

And the 3DS, the successor to the DS, a system that sold 33m units in Japan? It's now almost two years old, yet third party support has been coming very slowly, because third parties would have liked the PSV to take over from the fading PSP.

It's up to 3rd parties for them to migrate consumer interest from PSP to PSV.
If anyone is to blame(other than Sony of course) for poor sales in Japan its 3rd parties for not migrating or at least porting their current in-development PSP games to PSV. Sony can't make them do that.

Anyway I am confidenet the PSV will replace the PSV in the coming year. PSP development can't continue forever and we're already seeing some big games announced for it.