By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Up! Media Create Famitsu - Week 49, Dec 03 - Dec 09

Interesting. Maybe Nintendo has solved the supply constraints, at least in Japan.

I went to Yodobashi Camera in Kyoto today and they had a huge Wii U section and about 60 systems stacked behind the counter.

Zombi U had an entire shelf to itself. It was nice to see a Western title featured so prominently.

Yodobashi, btw, is one of the world's largest electronics stores (think 2 or 3 Fry's Electronics stacked).

Every place I have been this week (2 independents and 2 chain electronics stores) they have had plenty of systems in all of the configurations.

Does anyone know if Japan is usually supply constrained after launch (this is my first system launch in Japan)?

Are the Wii U numbers good if the system is not supply constrained? Will this result in a big drop for this week, as anyone who wanted a system could have bought one?

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
Disappointing boost for PS3 HW, considering there was a Yakuza 5 special edition PS3 console. It's only up 6-7k from last week.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/hardware/hsn0023.html

Nice boost for the 3DS (44k-65k boost) and congrats on passing the PS3 LTD. Next up is Wii LTD.
AC also overtakes NSMB2 according to Famitsu.

Considering this is the 5th Yakuza game for the PS3, you have to imagine that the fanbase already owns a PS3...

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

pezus said:

Indeed. Now explain to me how his comment makes sense since we know nothing about the PS4.

Indeed we don't know anything about the PS4 (or Next X) but you certainly see Sony and MS fans constantly saying how both will destroy the Wii U...without knowing anything about them.

vfguy said:

Are the Wii U numbers good if the system is not supply constrained? Will this result in a big drop for this week, as anyone who wanted a system could have bought one?

Nintendo had Foxconn start console production much earlier and at a higher rate than a usual launch so they've been able to replenish stocks very quickly compared to previous launches.   It doesn't mean demand is low, it just means supply is adequate.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

smbu2000 said:

What time frame is that and for what country? In the USA, SMB1 released in 1985, SMB2 in 1988 and SMB3 in 1990.

In Japan, Nintendo released SMB1 in 1985 and then SMB2 (the lost levels, everywhere else) in 1986, which looked EXACTLY like SMB1 except with levels changed around and slightly harder.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2_%28Japan%29/World_1

SMB USA(SMB2 everywhere else) didn't release in Japan until 1992. SMB3 released in Japan in 1988.

Yes, AC has had a great start even with the cartridge shortages and no e-shop purchases included. (retail DL cards are included in Famitsu numbers)

If you take per exemple Japan, it's a 3-year lifespan too.

pezus said:
guiduc said:
Train wreck said:
I think its going by the addage that releasing first doesnt mean anything.

It means everything if you can keep up the momentum, which Xbox 360 failed to do until the Wii was released. It gives an incredible margin. And if rumours are true and PS4 releases in Spring 2014, it's even greater.

And how much do we know about Wii U's momentum right now after one week (hint: Vita)? Secondly, how much momentum have Nintendo home consoles had lately?

1st question: We know close to nothing but I never said it had great momentum. It has to build it fast in order to get in advance over other consoles, unlike Xbox360 did. Let's wait... it's been only 3 weeks since it's launched.

2nd question: Wii had pretty much great momentum until second half of 2008. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Viper1 said:
pezus said:

Indeed. Now explain to me how his comment makes sense since we know nothing about the PS4.

Indeed we don't know anything about the PS4 (or Next X) but you certainly see Sony and MS fans constantly saying how both will destroy the Wii U...without knowing anything about them.

vfguy said:

Nintendo had Foxconn start console production much earlier and at a higher rate than a usual launch so they've been able to replenish stocks very quickly compared to previous launches.   It doesn't mean demand is low, it just means supply is adequate.

Not in sales...or I would like to call them out as well.

Oh, they most certainly do say in sales.  Or at least infer as muh.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

guiduc said:
3DS sold 210k? DQ and MH4 are not even released yet... It's gonna be ultimate rape.

Is there a mainline DQ announced (or speculated) for 3ds or are you just assuming it's coming?

Think for yourself, question authority

I've literally never seen such dominance before, but then again, I've not been around here for a console launch anyways, so... yeah

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

guiduc said:

It's impressive for Nintendo because Nintendo Japan does its job fine and got real timing to sustain the momentum. In NA et EU, it's a complete different story. Reggie should stop donkey around and actually try a more agressive approach to the market by opening new studios, encourage more third parties and give more resources to Retro Studios.

+1

pezus said:
Viper1 said:
pezus said:

vfguy said:

Not in sales...or I would like to call them out as well.

They know nothing of next gen systems from Sony and MS, and still they know it'll be much more powerful, and thus sell more than Wii U. So it's about the same thing