By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Up! Media Create Famitsu - Week 49, Dec 03 - Dec 09

pezus said:
Conegamer said:
Boutros said:
Viper1 said:
Boutros said:

The PS3 has great software sales in comparison though.

Yakuza 5 certainly gave the PS3 some shoulder room in the software charts.

So?

I think the point he's trying to make is, if you took that graph last week, or next week, or almost any other week, the PS3 would have a far lower marketshare. 

But I see your point. Fact is, games release and big ones will skew the figures. I do think you're cherry-picking slightly to dethrone the WiiU's launch as it were, but there you go. If it can stay above 25% next week then all power to it.

Then again people are saying "complete NIntendo domination" in here when the Wii U launch certainly played a big part...lol

Yes I'm well aware, and people claiming the success are jumping the gun a tad...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Japan = Nintendoland. Nuff said

pezus said:

Then again people are saying "complete NIntendo domination" in here when the Wii U launch certainly played a big part...lol

If you took out Wii U, it still might be Nintendo pacman (rough guestimate). 

guiduc said:

As much as I love 2D Mario, I wished AC was gonna bypass NSMB2. That is not the kind of Mario games I want to see in the future. Each game used to be so innovative and trendsetting... At least NSMBU is the best of the 4.

I think that is just because it seems like they've released so many 2D mario games recently, especially with NSMB2 and NSMBU both coming out this year. After this though there won't be any new 2d mario games for a long while if they stick to their one 2d mario per platform schedule. (NSMB DS, NSMB Wii, NSMB2 3DS, NSMBU), which should also help the legs for NSMB2 and NSMBU.

Also this is an interesting chart:

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

pezus said:
jonnybmk said:
pezus said:

Nintendo always dominates - it's just by how much that we get to discuss. :D

Nintendo is the TRUE winner of the consoles (Wii), the handhelds (3DS), and the next consoles (Wii U).

Just like 360 was the true winner of last gen in Japan, right?

What?

Media Create:

Wii: 12.6 million

PS3: 8.7 million

360: 1.6 million

Sure looks like the Wii was ahead of everything else in Japan.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.

Around the Network
smbu2000 said:
pezus said:
jonnybmk said:
pezus said:

Nintendo always dominates - it's just by how much that we get to discuss. :D

Nintendo is the TRUE winner of the consoles (Wii), the handhelds (3DS), and the next consoles (Wii U).

Just like 360 was the true winner of last gen in Japan, right?

What?

Media Create:

I think its going by the addage that releasing first doesnt mean anything.

pezus said:
smbu2000 said:

What?

Media Create:

Indeed. Now explain to me how his comment makes sense since we know nothing about the PS4.

The first two seems to be facts and that last one seems to be his own personal prediction. If the Wii U builds up enough momentum it will be hard for the other two consoles to make any headway.

smbu2000 said:
guiduc said:

As much as I love 2D Mario, I wished AC was gonna bypass NSMB2. That is not the kind of Mario games I want to see in the future. Each game used to be so innovative and trendsetting... At least NSMBU is the best of the 4.

I think that is just because it seems like they've released so many 2D mario games recently, especially with NSMB2 and NSMBU both coming out this year. After this though there won't be any new 2d mario games for a long while if they stick to their one 2d mario per platform schedule. (NSMB DS, NSMB Wii, NSMB2 3DS, NSMBU), which should also help the legs for NSMB2 and NSMBU.

Two points:

1) Yes. But then again I bought every of them like a stupid sheep lol

Remember that Mario Bros came out in 1985, MB2 in 1987 and Mario Bros 3 in 1988. Every of them were drastically different from each other. New Super Mario Bros. games each released in a 3-year lifespan, with the last two ones releasing the same year, with exactly the same artstyle, with little improvements from each other. They're fantastic games, but Nintendo can do better when you're playing Galaxy 2 2D sections.

2) Very impressive curve for Animal Crossing and pretty interesting sales for MH3G, might catch up 3D Land and Mario Kart soon. Nicely found.

Train wreck said:
I think its going by the addage that releasing first doesnt mean anything.

It means everything if you can keep up the momentum, which Xbox 360 failed to do until the Wii was released. It gives an incredible margin. And if rumours are true and PS4 releases in Spring 2014, it's even greater.

guiduc said:
smbu2000 said:

Two points:

1) Yes. But then again I bought every of them like a stupid sheep lol

Remember that Mario Bros came out in 1985, MB2 in 1987 and Mario Bros 3 in 1988. Every of them were drastically different from each other. New Super Mario Bros. games each released in a 3-year lifespan, with the last two ones releasing the same year, with exactly the same artstyle, with little improvements from each other. They're fantastic games, but Nintendo can do better when you're playing Galaxy 2 2D sections.

2) Very impressive curve for Animal Crossing and pretty interesting sales for MH3G, might catch up 3D Land and Mario Kart soon. Nicely found.

What time frame is that and for what country? In the USA, SMB1 released in 1985, SMB2 in 1988 and SMB3 in 1990.

In Japan, Nintendo released SMB1 in 1985 and then SMB2 (the lost levels, everywhere else) in 1986, which looked EXACTLY like SMB1 except with levels changed around and slightly harder.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2_%28Japan%29/World_1

SMB USA(SMB2 everywhere else) didn't release in Japan until 1992. SMB3 released in Japan in 1988.

Yes, AC has had a great start even with the cartridge shortages and no e-shop purchases included. (retail DL cards are included in Famitsu numbers)