By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in sales?

When will PS3 overtake 360 in total sales?

Temp in 2013, Perm in 2014 227 42.67%

Permanently in 2014 (Won... 79 14.85%

Temp in 2013, and 2014, Perm in 2015 23 4.32%

Temp in 2014, Perm in 2015 29 5.45%

Permanently in 2015 (Won... 3 0.56%

Temp in 2014, and 2015, Perm in 2016 8 1.50%

Temp in 2015, Perm in 2016 3 0.56%

Some point after 2016, bu... 10 1.88%

It won't, sales for both... 27 5.08%

It won't, 360 will hold ... 122 22.93%

Total:531

I've been a member of this site for a while and, as others have mentioned, seen this topic over and over and over again. Each year it seems to lose more and more interest. So I guess my big question are there a lot of people that actually care about this? Particularly once next gen systems are announced?

The main reason I ask is, after Wii U was introduced, NOBODY talks about the Wii in any meaningful sales capacity. So once the new Xbox and Playstation are introduced, I would just very surprised if all but the most ardent fanboys even care about who got distant 2nd and 3rd place this gen...

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
I've been a member of this site for a while and, as others have mentioned, seen this topic over and over and over again. Each year it seems to lose more and more interest. So I guess my big question are there a lot of people that actually care about this? Particularly once next gen systems are announced?

The main reason I ask is, after Wii U was introduced, NOBODY talks about the Wii in any meaningful sales capacity. So once the new Xbox and Playstation are introduced, I would just very surprised if all but the most ardent fanboys even care about who got distant 2nd and 3rd place this gen...

A few corrections to your post. First off the wii has not been talked about in any meaningful sales capacity concernin hardware before the Wii U was introduced. Why do you think the Wii U was the first system launched? Why would the generation leader want to end the generation sooner? It's because sales have sucked for a long time. They never got 50% market share and are almost below 40% (will be by the end of this year).

Secondly, if this generation has a distant second then what was last gens second?

Aura7541 said:
I think the PS3 can definitely overtake the 360 somewhere in the second half of 2013. Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Dust 514, Final Fantasy XIV, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and Puppeteer. The PS3 has a super strong (and diverse, most importantly) 2013 lineup. These games will definitely help sell a lot of PS3's. And if Final Fantasy Versus XIII, The Last Guardian, and Tales of Xillia 2 come out late 2013, the PS3 will be ahead for good.

Versus XIII in 2013? How sure are you on that? And The Last Guardian? other than those two yes i agree PS3 has a strong lineup for 2013. Also if Versus XIII does come out in 2013 I will cry tears of joy. 

Well i think it will happen, but i doubt it will happen in 2013 though. Once Sony announces an official $199.99 or lower price cut, then they will start attracting customers in developing countries. Playstation is still a more popular brand in smaller parts of the world than Xbox.

phenom08 said:
VGKing said:
I picked 2014. The Xbox 360 is going to have a tough year ahead. PS3 still has lots of AAA exclusives next year so that should give it lots of momentum.

The PS3 has those every year and still hasn't passed it.

That's true, and it's funny because this year the PS3 is kind of lacking in terms of quality exclusives, but because of the super slim, PS3 is holding ground this holiday season.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Where is the option for perm 2013? You actually think PS3 won't permanently overtake it next year?

No I didn't and I thought it was a ridiculous option. 360 will be 2-2.5 million units ahead, the PS3 has only managed to sell above 2.5 million units more then the 360 the year PS3 Slim was introduced, and came with a price cut that finally match PS3's price with 360's. Las two years PS3 has outsold the 360 by 0.65 million and 0.3 million.

I thought permanent 2013 would have been a fanboy only response, but wow, a lot of people are are real optimistic 360 sales will crash in 2013.

Then again...every year that's what people think.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Chark said:
Why no permanent 2013 option?

it's needs to make a 2 million sale jump and then make sure it's doesn't whooped during holiday sales next year.... which since the focus will most likely be on the new consoles......isn't gonna happen.

platformmaster918 said:
Michael-5 said:
Sorry for the blank quote above, windows phones show text in the quote box, but don't publish them.

Anyway, if Nextbox sales cut 360 sales, wouldn't PS4 do the same on PS3? Japan tends to be the first region to abandon old consoles and without Japan PS3 is selling less then 360. Wouldn't this argument be pro-360 maintaining a lead? If sales die on both 360 and PS3 due to successor consoles, wouldn't this freeze that lead?

Platformmaster - last year Microsoft didn't cut the price of the 360, but still managed to keep up with PS3, which did a price cut and super slim redesign. If anyone were to benefit from a permanent price cut, wouldn't it be the 360? Also I know Sony would like to say PS3 was the best selling HD console at E3 2013, but wouldn't Microsoft want to say the sale thing? Sony is having financial troubles, they can't afford to give PS3 another price cut, but Microsoft can cut the price on the 360.

Microsoft has already been able to say that since they released a year ahead

Yea, but the NextBox isn't out yet. I'm sure MS will like to adveritze that they are the best selling HD console when the 360 releases too.

Also, like I said above, MS didn't cut the price on the 360 when Sony did last year, and still almost outsold it. Don't you think if MS was worried about 360 sales that they would permanently cut the price? on all models?

Michael-5 said:
Turkish said:
Where is the option for perm 2013? You actually think PS3 won't permanently overtake it next year?

No I didn't and I thought it was a ridiculous option. 360 will be 2-2.5 million units ahead, the PS3 has only managed to sell above 2.5 million units more then the 360 the year PS3 Slim was introduced, and came with a price cut that finally match PS3's price with 360's. Las two years PS3 has outsold the 360 by 0.65 million and 0.3 million.

I thought permanent 2013 would have been a fanboy only response, but wow, a lot of people are are real optimistic 360 sales will crash in 2013.

Where are you getting your information?

EDIT: nevermind I read that wrong.

So PS3 has sold 1,288,848 more this year so far and 360 isn't looking to sell like it normally does during the holidays. PS3 has a killer software lineup next year and they are primed to cut the price since they haven't done yet after releasing the new model. There is a decent chance the PS3 will sell well throughout the year and more than the 360 will as has been the trend. If 360 also doesn't produce high holiday numbers it might not make up losses and the PS3 could surpass 360 not only early in the year but at the end. That's not even to throw in new hardware releases which could have a dramatic effect on ongoing 360 or PS3 sales.

Next year the PS3 would just have to gain by 1.8 million, possible.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:
Michael-5 said:
Turkish said:

Where are you getting your information?

This website