By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life 2 is the game of the DECADE!

Mazty said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty man you are insane. And you lack reading comprehension but we often do on these forums.

My reading comprehension is just fine....Why am I insane? Because I don't just follow the crowd and the "in" thing?

The "in" thing? I would hardly call Half-Life 2 the "in" thing, Mass Effect and its kind of storytelling are much more popular than Half-Life 2... I think Half-Life 2's style puts off a lot of people (like you), but appeals to a certain type of gamer which is not very mainstream at all.

But no, that's not why you are insane. I find it hilarious (in a good way!) that you think having the sole "female" role be an AI is the mature way to handle a female characters in a video game I must picture you laughing out loud at your keyboard when you were typing that.

Mass Effect and Halo is just about as "in" and mainstream as gaming gets, right along with Need for Speed, CoD and other monoliths. Half-Life 2 is simply more original and influental in practically every single way.

Hahahaha. Right, so HL2 is more influential then Halo: CE, the game that shaped almost every FPS this generation. Okay, if you say so...
HL2 is the "in" thing because it makes the person look edgy and knowledgable about games when in fact it never really had a good storyline, it just created a silent protagonist. As far as the actual game went, it's hardly anything special. 

Halo CE "shaped" some console shooters. PC FPS games are a race of their own, Halo is not as important as you would have it. CoD has regenerating health, yay, influence! There is nothing "edgy" about talking about and loving HL2, it has sold tremedously well and is not a hipster product. The difference lies in the direction and ambition it holds, not in sales numbers. You're simply trying to disarm the entire argument by claiming we enjoy niche gaming and thus have no voice in the concerns around stories and gaming, a pretty shallow and childish techique in my opinion. And really, really far from the truth as well.

HL2, from a technical perspectice, has breed every single highly interactive shooter ever since and showed and taught that an environment that you could actually use and be a part of adds tons to the gameplay and immersion, the Source engine has laid the foundation of Cryengine, modern Unreal Engine, Aurora engine, FrostBite engine and most other huge, important and game-changing engines of this generation.

The main reason HL2's story is celebrated is because of the way it is told, which is direct and damn near perfect, it is also down to the point and lacks hours and hours of uniteresting cutscenes with glossy character models and embarrasing dialogue. You are always in the middle of the story and you drive it directly, this is the genius of HL2, along with physics, visual superiority (at the time of release), AI and incredible art direction/level design.

The Source engine still produces impressive images today, Left 4 Dead 2 looks pretty damn good on max settings, and that's on a modifed version of an engine that was born nearly a decade ago! There is simply nothing to compare it to. As far as comparing RPG and FPS games storywise, that's just grasping for straws. You want to compare the driving physics of Gran Turismo to Burnout while you're at it?

I also maintain that Mass Effect 1 and 2, even despite being "RPG's", have pretty standard and bland stories, I much preferred the character side-quests in ME2 before the main story and that kind of speaks volumes... ME's side-quests were dowright bad and had no story at all and the main story is cliched and drab, allthough the some of the dialogue is fairly well written.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Mazty said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty man you are insane. And you lack reading comprehension but we often do on these forums.

My reading comprehension is just fine....Why am I insane? Because I don't just follow the crowd and the "in" thing?

The "in" thing? I would hardly call Half-Life 2 the "in" thing, Mass Effect and its kind of storytelling are much more popular than Half-Life 2... I think Half-Life 2's style puts off a lot of people (like you), but appeals to a certain type of gamer which is not very mainstream at all.

But no, that's not why you are insane. I find it hilarious (in a good way!) that you think having the sole "female" role be an AI is the mature way to handle a female characters in a video game I must picture you laughing out loud at your keyboard when you were typing that.

Mass Effect and Halo is just about as "in" and mainstream as gaming gets, right along with Need for Speed, CoD and other monoliths. Half-Life 2 is simply more original and influental in practically every single way.

Hahahaha. Right, so HL2 is more influential then Halo: CE, the game that shaped almost every FPS this generation. Okay, if you say so...
HL2 is the "in" thing because it makes the person look edgy and knowledgable about games when in fact it never really had a good storyline, it just created a silent protagonist. As far as the actual game went, it's hardly anything special. 

Halo CE "shaped" some console shooters. PC FPS games are a race of their own, Halo is not as important as you would have it. CoD has regenerating health, yay, influence! There is nothing "edgy" about talking about and loving HL2, it has sold tremedously well and is not a hipster product. The difference lies in the direction and ambition it holds, not in sales numbers. You're simply trying to disarm the entire argument by claiming we enjoy niche gaming and thus have no voice in the concerns around stories and gaming, a pretty shallow and childish techique in my opinion. And really, really far from the truth as well.

HL2, from a technical perspectice, has breed every single highly interactive shooter ever since and showed and taught that an environment that you could actually use and be a part of adds tons to the gameplay and immersion, the Source engine has laid the foundation of Cryengine, modern Unreal Engine, Aurora engine, FrostBite engine and most other huge, important and game-changing engines of this generation.

The main reason HL2's story is celebrated is because of the way it is told, which is direct and damn near perfect, it is also down to the point and lacks hours and hours of uniteresting cutscenes with glossy character models and embarrasing dialogue. You are always in the middle of the story and you drive it directly, this is the genius of HL2, along with physics, visual superiority (at the time of release), AI and incredible art direction/level design.

The Source engine still produces impressive images today, Left 4 Dead 2 looks pretty damn good on max settings, and that's on a modifed version of an engine that was born nearly a decade ago! There is simply nothing to compare it to. As far as comparing RPG and FPS games storywise, that's just grasping for straws. You want to compare the driving physics of Gran Turismo to Burnout while you're at it?

I also maintain that Mass Effect 1 and 2, even despite being "RPG's", have pretty standard and bland stories, I much preferred the character side-quests in ME2 before the main story and that kind of speaks volumes... ME's side-quests were dowright bad and had no story at all and the main story is cliched and drab, allthough the some of the dialogue is fairly well written.

HL2 is a hipster product. The story is praised yet ~70% of the game is devoid of story. Go figure. 
Also Halo: CE didn't just do the regen health - it was the whole package it brought with it:
Melee
Quick grenades
Ammo & weapon limit
Vehicles which didn't suck
Regen health

I'm not sure what you mean by "PC FPS games are a race of their own"  considering most FPS' on PC are multiplat. Say I'm being childish but I've given a legitmate argument - parts of the story are cliche, other parts are rediculous, and it actually lacks story. 

How has HL2 bred most shooters from a tech point considering most don't use the source engine? I think you are forgetting games like Morrowind where a lot of the environment was interactive. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think the natural progression of engines wasn't to add interactivity to the game world and that they just took a leaf from HL2. Think about Fable, a game where the world evolved and changed around you. Or, to really put a hole in your argument, Red Faction.

Perfect is not having a female lead fall for a mute rambo scientist. That's absurd. Also just celebrating a game for how it told the story seems pointless considering how little story there is to tell. SotC says next to nothing and is considerably more immersive then HL2 in every aspect. 

If you are going to celebrate a game for it's story, why are you limiting it to it's genre? That's just creating an arbitrary limit in order to make it look better then it is. But if you insist on drawing such a limit, frankly HL2's story is no better then Halo's and yet Halo isn't lauded for having a genre defying storyline. 

Mazty said:

When you come across a difficult question in an exam do you just reply "Yesh man I've already answered this, go see my other paper"?

Please answer specifically what I have asked you. You may say that Gordon not speaking is to help the game be immersive, but then shouldn't the people also act as if you are not speaking instead of creating a pathetic romance? A woman will not fall for a mute in the space of 15 minutes.  Having something as rediuclous as that should break immserion, not aid it. You have avoided answering that directly. 

Looking at just Half Life 2, nothing more, nothing less, ~70% is completely devoid of storyline. That's from the link you gave that gives a breakdown of the game. You can't just say "nah man there's like more to it because I say so" - that shit doesn't fly. You can remove a large majority of the game and you won't be missing out on the storyline, or were the links your provided incorrect? 

Having the main female lead an AI in Halo: CE when you are a Rambo character is far more mature then shoe-horning in a pathetic romance that is completely out of place. The fact she is an AI make no difference. Just an AI as in not some romantic partner. Sexist? How PC are you?!

What are you on about letting "others make my mind up for myself"?? I asked what the game is like, they explain, I then conclude the story is atrocious and therefore will give it a pass...I'm sorry that I have friends whose opinions I value...I even had the alternate ending explained and it's still crap. There should be a "Congratulations, the galaxy is dead" ending. In fact a happy ending should be near impossible, if not just flat out impossible, to achieve, but I digress.

Lol, you really are funny. I'd hate to have you setting exam questions. It'd be the same 3 questions, each repeated 10 times with slightly different wording. I dread to think what the mark scheme would be! Probably something along the lines of "You disagree with me... FAIL!"

Please go back and read through my posts. Or maybe your reading comprehension needs some work

@ bolded

Considering the high regard you gave the previous games I'd assume you could form your own opinion after actually playing it. It's also possible to get a "Congratulations, the galaxy is dead ending"... I did it accidentally and was quite annoyed when it happened! And I wouldn't say any of the endings are particularly happy. Only one of them even hints that Shephard remains alive.

Kantor said:
Scoobes said:
green_sky said:
I thought the thread would be about the celebration of this game winning the award. The one thing i always miscalculate is that everything has to turn into utter shit. No one can be happy in others victory and let the fans enjoy the moment. Even the people who consider VGA's the most disposable crap come and criticize them for doing so and so. Than the criticism towards the games that win or don't win.

All in all reading these and other forums on the internet give me the illusion of never ending negativity about everything oozing out of gamer's trigger fingers. Just a few more posts to go guys. Carry on. Almost breaking the 20 page barrier.

Up the number of posts per page, I'm still on Pg 4

And obviously gamers get depressed when not playing, hence the negativity. Which reminds me, I've got ACIII to play!

If your experience with that game is anything like mine, that will only exacerbate your depression that they took such a great franchise and ruined it.

But that's a matter for another thread.

It's been fairly slow going but the gameplay in the recent sections has been decent. The ship sections have been fun too. Guess I'll have a more informed opinion once I complete it and see how they flesh out the story. I think I'm near the end now.

Mazty said:

HL2 is a hipster product. The story is praised yet ~70% of the game is devoid of story. Go figure. 
Also Halo: CE didn't just do the regen health - it was the whole package it brought with it:
Melee
Quick grenades
Ammo & weapon limit

I'm pretty sure I covered those in a previous post. Maybe not vehicles though, but Starsiege Tribes first did that back in 1998. They handled relatively well for the time too.

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

When you come across a difficult question in an exam do you just reply "Yesh man I've already answered this, go see my other paper"?

Please answer specifically what I have asked you. You may say that Gordon not speaking is to help the game be immersive, but then shouldn't the people also act as if you are not speaking instead of creating a pathetic romance? A woman will not fall for a mute in the space of 15 minutes.  Having something as rediuclous as that should break immserion, not aid it. You have avoided answering that directly. 

Looking at just Half Life 2, nothing more, nothing less, ~70% is completely devoid of storyline. That's from the link you gave that gives a breakdown of the game. You can't just say "nah man there's like more to it because I say so" - that shit doesn't fly. You can remove a large majority of the game and you won't be missing out on the storyline, or were the links your provided incorrect? 

Having the main female lead an AI in Halo: CE when you are a Rambo character is far more mature then shoe-horning in a pathetic romance that is completely out of place. The fact she is an AI make no difference. Just an AI as in not some romantic partner. Sexist? How PC are you?!

What are you on about letting "others make my mind up for myself"?? I asked what the game is like, they explain, I then conclude the story is atrocious and therefore will give it a pass...I'm sorry that I have friends whose opinions I value...I even had the alternate ending explained and it's still crap. There should be a "Congratulations, the galaxy is dead" ending. In fact a happy ending should be near impossible, if not just flat out impossible, to achieve, but I digress.

Lol, you really are funny. I'd hate to have you setting exam questions. It'd be the same 3 questions, each repeated 10 times with slightly different wording. I dread to think what the mark scheme would be! Probably something along the lines of "You disagree with me... FAIL!"

Please go back and read through my posts. Or maybe your reading comprehension needs some work

@ bolded

Considering the high regard you gave the previous games I'd assume you could form your own opinion after actually playing it. It's also possible to get a "Congratulations, the galaxy is dead ending"... I did it accidentally and was quite annoyed when it happened! And I wouldn't say any of the endings are particularly happy. Only one of them even hints that Shephard remains alive.

As you have never answered this and seem to skirt around it, can you answer just the following:
1) Would a woman fall for a mute rambo scientist in the space of 10 minutes?
2) How can HL2 have such a vast story when 70% of the game is devoid of story?

Please just answer those directly, as in "A woman would/would not fall for a mute blah blah BECAUSE...". Good? Good. 

If I've been told the storyline, I can see that the final is filled with plot holes, cliches and plenty of poop. 

Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

Melee
Quick grenades
Ammo & weapon limit

I'm pretty sure I covered those in a previous post. Maybe not vehicles though, but Starsiege Tribes first did that back in 1998. They handled relatively well for the time too.

H:CE though put all the above which were from numerous different games which all were from different FPS genres and managed to get all those features working. Merging something from Rainbow Six to something from Starsiege Tribes and getting it to work flawlessly is nothing short of amazing. 

Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

@ bolded

As you have never answered this and seem to skirt around it, can you answer just the following:

Please just answer those directly, as in "A woman would/would not fall for a mute blah blah BECAUSE...". Good? Good. 

If I've been told the storyline, I can see that the final is filled with plot holes, cliches and plenty of poop. 

You are blowing these things entirely out of proportion, especially the "romance" thing. It's not even relevant to the game. But sure, I'll explain it: physical attraction, a feeling of safety, perhaps Gordon symbolizes greater things for her in her mind... There are so many possible options. Doesn't infatuation always kick in within minutes or even seconds when you first meet? It doesn't have to be real love, people constantly fall in love with eachother based on physical appearance or status. It could even be fucking hormones, who knows?

Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

@ bolded

You are blowing these things entirely out of proportion, especially the "romance" thing. It's not even relevant to the game. But sure, I'll explain it: physical attraction, a feeling of safety, perhaps Gordon symbolizes greater things for her in her mind... There are so many possible options. Doesn't infatuation always kick in within minutes or even seconds when you first meet? It doesn't have to be real love, people constantly fall in love with eachother based on physical appearance or status. It could even be fucking hormones, who knows?

If you really think a woman is going to fall for a mute guy in the space of ten minutes, you and me are not on the same planet. 

No, infatuation does not kick in like that. Nothing works that quick other then ebola. 

We both know, regardless of how hard you are trying to cover it up, that such a scenario is utter bs and it shouldn't be in there. And plus ~70% literally has nothing to do with the story other then chronicling getting from point a to b. 

Mazty said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

@ bolded

If you really think a woman is going to fall for a mute guy in the space of ten minutes, you and me are not on the same planet. 

No, infatuation does not kick in like that. Nothing works that quick other then ebola. 

We both know, regardless of how hard you are trying to cover it up, that such a scenario is utter bs and it shouldn't be in there. And plus ~70% literally has nothing to do with the story other then chronicling getting from point a to b. 

Now you're just being ignorant... Lots of people experience feelings of attraction when just meeting someone, have you seriously never heard of a crush or "love at first sight"? Ofcourse that isn't immediatly deep bonding but it's very possible that Alyx feels attracted to Gordon either physically or to something she attributes to him. This happens all the time in real life so I'm not really sure why you have such a hard time with this other than for the sake of arguing.