By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life 2 is the game of the DECADE!

Mazty said:

Praising HL2's story is rediculous as it is lacking story; it has no more story then Halo: CE. It's method of telling the story is interesting, but completely disproportionately praised as it shows some major limitations to the story e.g. one-way conversations. 
Hopefully with time people will forget the hipster attitude that surrounds the game and will see if for what it is rather then making excuses for the game such as "just use your imagination". Then the games which should be winning these awards will be focused on more and hopefully inspire future games and convince publishers to take a risk e.g. SotC. 

And we've come back round full circle... again. I'm beginning to think you're just a sophisticated AI/bot designed to repeat the same thing in a repetitive circular argument even when it's been debated with valid points, articles and links.

If Half-Life 2 keeps winning these awards, does that mean you're wrong?

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

Praising HL2's story is rediculous as it is lacking story; it has no more story then Halo: CE. It's method of telling the story is interesting, but completely disproportionately praised as it shows some major limitations to the story e.g. one-way conversations. 
Hopefully with time people will forget the hipster attitude that surrounds the game and will see if for what it is rather then making excuses for the game such as "just use your imagination". Then the games which should be winning these awards will be focused on more and hopefully inspire future games and convince publishers to take a risk e.g. SotC. 

And we've come back round full circle... again. I'm beginning to think you're just a sophisticated AI/bot designed to repeat the same thing in a repetitive circular argument even when it's been debated with valid points, articles and links.

The issueis that  your argument just hops from nonsense to nonsense e.g. "fill in the blanks with your imagination". As I have said, such an excuse would mitigate almost every plothole in every game in existance. And you just ignore the point that the story in HL2 is really thin/is no more tangible then the storyline for most other FPS' that generation. All it did was be the first game to have a silent protaginist and a detailed, if not somewhat pointless, physics engine. Does that sound like a game worthy of winning game of the decade? 

If HL2 keeps winning these awards then gaming will never truly mature as the audience is still unable to objectively analysis something and would rather run with the crowd. 

Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

The issueis that  your argument just hops from nonsense to nonsense e.g. "fill in the blanks with your imagination". As I have said, such an excuse would mitigate almost every plothole in every game in existance. And you just ignore the point that the story in HL2 is really thin/is no more tangible then the storyline for most other FPS' that generation. All it did was be the first game to have a silent protaginist and a detailed, if not somewhat pointless, physics engine. Does that sound like a game worthy of winning game of the decade? 

If HL2 keeps winning these awards then gaming will never truly mature as the audience is still unable to objectively analysis something and would rather run with the crowd. 

My arguments are nonsense? lol

I actually supported my points with references and logic (about 10 times over). You just repeated your own uninformed opinions, whilst most of your actual points have been discredited over the course of the thread. 

And that last sentence is rich. You must have a real over-inflated sense of yourself if you think you must be right and the games industry (developers and critics included) are all wrong. You know, the people whose job it is to analytically analyse what works and what doesn't. Maybe you should look in the mirror when it comes to maturity.

Scoobes said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

I actually supported my points with references and logic (about 10 times over). You just repeated your own uninformed opinions, whilst most of your actual points have been discredited over the course of the thread. 

And that last sentence is rich. You must have a real over-inflated sense of yourself if you think you must be right and the games industry (developers and critics included) are all wrong. You know, the people whose job it is to analytically analyse what works and what doesn't. Maybe you should look in the mirror when it comes to maturity.

Erm...you completely ignored what I said...So let me repeat the flaw with what you have said:

"fill in the blanks with your imagination"

That is a very, very weak argument. As I said, that reasoning would then justify/excuse any and every plothole in any game. 

I said that sentence because, as shown above, your reasoning for stating that HL2 has a great story is horribly flawed. 
Game critics who are paid to give positive reviews (Dri3r, Kane and Lynch etc) and devs who keep going under....Yeah they aren't exactly bastions of brilliance. 

Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

Erm...you completely ignored what I said...So let me repeat the flaw with what you have said:

That is a very, very weak argument. As I said, that reasoning would then justify/excuse any and every plothole in any game. 

I said that sentence because, as shown above, your reasoning for stating that HL2 has a great story is horribly flawed. 
Game critics who are paid to give positive reviews (Dri3r, Kane and Lynch etc) and devs who keep going under....Yeah they aren't exactly bastions of brilliance. 

That was only in regards to conversations directed at Gordon, not the whole story which I've already shown is quite deep and involved if you actually pay a modicum of attention during play (or read the all the links I've given). You should know all that or your reading comprehension needs some work. Considering this thread, it's probably the latter.

@ bolded

That pretty much sums up your maturity right there. Labelling all game critics as "paid off" based on a few cases of conjecture and rumour whilst labelling all game developers who take influence from HL2 as struggling. So it basically, it boils down to professional and informed critique versus the misinformed opinions of someone who shows poor reading comprehension (or wilfull ignorance).

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:
Scoobes said:
Mazty said:

That was only in regards to conversations directed at Gordon, not the whole story which I've already shown is quite deep and involved if you actually pay a modicum of attention during play (or read the all the links I've given). You should know all that or your reading comprehension needs some work. Considering this thread, it's probably the latter.

@ bolded

That pretty much sums up your maturity right there. Labelling all game critics as "paid off" based on a few cases of conjecture and rumour whilst labelling all game developers who take influence from HL2 as struggling. So it basically, it boils down to professional and informed critique versus the misinformed opinions of someone who shows poor reading comprehension (or wilfull ignorance).

Quite deep and involved compared to what exactly? It's about equal to Halo: CE and no way near ME...

Why are you allowed to fill in the gaps with your imagination with that and nothing else? That's very arbitrary reasoning. My comprehension is more than fine, however you justifications are just pulled out of thin air. 

A lot of critics are either paid off or total fucking tools. CoD 9/10? The graphics are dated, the storys cliche, the multiplayer is as good as broken, but millions pre-ordered it and will buy it so we can't bash it. What actually proves your maturity is that you haven't considered what effect a bad review of a popular game would do to traffic figures. 

@bold lolwut I never said that....ironic you mentioned comprehension...