By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Half-Life 2 is the game of the DECADE!

Mazty man you are insane. And you lack reading comprehension but we often do on these forums.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Mazty man you are insane. And you lack reading comprehension but we often do on these forums.

My reading comprehension is just fine....Why am I insane? Because I don't just follow the crowd and the "in" thing?

Mazty said:
Chrizum said:

My reading comprehension is just fine....Why am I insane? Because I don't just follow the crowd and the "in" thing?

The "in" thing? I would hardly call Half-Life 2 the "in" thing, Mass Effect and its kind of storytelling are much more popular than Half-Life 2... I think Half-Life 2's style puts off a lot of people (like you), but appeals to a certain type of gamer which is not very mainstream at all.

But no, that's not why you are insane. I find it hilarious (in a good way!) that you think having the sole "female" role be an AI is the mature way to handle a female characters in a video game I must picture you laughing out loud at your keyboard when you were typing that.

Its a fair award but I personally would have chosen Bioshock. It had a better story and more playing style options. I have played through HL2 on both PC at release then on 360. I only played Bioshock on the 360 (played the sequel on both).

Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:

The "in" thing? I would hardly call Half-Life 2 the "in" thing, Mass Effect and its kind of storytelling are much more popular than Half-Life 2... I think Half-Life 2's style puts off a lot of people (like you), but appeals to a certain type of gamer which is not very mainstream at all.

But no, that's not why you are insane. I find it hilarious (in a good way!) that you think having the sole "female" role be an AI is the mature way to handle a female characters in a video game I must picture you laughing out loud at your keyboard when you were typing that.

HL2 is always the "in" thing when it comes to what is the king of story telling as it's the elitist PC reation that happened due to Halo: CE, just as stating you like Fight Club suddenly makes you a "film conosur". 

So it's more mature to add in a hyper-unrealistic romance?? Halo is one of the only games where the female character doesn't want to jump onto cock for no explainable reason. ...

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:

Mass Effect and Halo is just about as "in" and mainstream as gaming gets, right along with Need for Speed, CoD and other monoliths. Half-Life 2 is simply more original and influental in practically every single way.

Half Life 2 is good, but I think its way overrated. I would say Episode 2 is better imo.

My game of the decade would be Super Smash Bros Melee

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
Chrizum said:

Mass Effect and Halo is just about as "in" and mainstream as gaming gets, right along with Need for Speed, CoD and other monoliths. Half-Life 2 is simply more original and influental in practically every single way.

Hahahaha. Right, so HL2 is more influential then Halo: CE, the game that shaped almost every FPS this generation. Okay, if you say so...
HL2 is the "in" thing because it makes the person look edgy and knowledgable about games when in fact it never really had a good storyline, it just created a silent protagonist. As far as the actual game went, it's hardly anything special. 

I think it's a sensible choice for Game of the Decade because so many people love it and because it was apparently so fantastic and revolutionary and innovative back in 2004. I really don't think it stands up at all against even the most average of modern FPS, but that's a different matter entirely.

Part of me would have loved for Shadow of the Colossus to get it, but that hasn't really been a very influential game.

BioShock on the other hand, would probably be my first choice. It may be based on System Shock 2, but I have never seen such excellent storytelling, atmosphere and gameplay all tied together. The characters are amazing, I love using the abilities, and the twist is fantastic and actually thought-provoking. It is one of the only FPS I have ever enjoyed, and it's in my all-time top ten. Many games have tried to emulate it, not least BioShock 2, and pretty much all of them have fallen flat.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Scoobes said:
green_sky said:
I thought the thread would be about the celebration of this game winning the award. The one thing i always miscalculate is that everything has to turn into utter shit. No one can be happy in others victory and let the fans enjoy the moment. Even the people who consider VGA's the most disposable crap come and criticize them for doing so and so. Than the criticism towards the games that win or don't win.

All in all reading these and other forums on the internet give me the illusion of never ending negativity about everything oozing out of gamer's trigger fingers. Just a few more posts to go guys. Carry on. Almost breaking the 20 page barrier.

Up the number of posts per page, I'm still on Pg 4

And obviously gamers get depressed when not playing, hence the negativity. Which reminds me, I've got ACIII to play!

If your experience with that game is anything like mine, that will only exacerbate your depression that they took such a great franchise and ruined it.

But that's a matter for another thread.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective