By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

This mean nothing, I'm sure that those games are undertracked. For example Sports Champions 2 sold, according to VGC, 0k! The game doesn't even exist ;)

Around the Network

gipsy_jack said:
This mean nothing, I'm sure that those games are undertracked. For example Sports Champions 2 sold, according to VGC, 0k! The game doesn't even exist ;)

They were actually overtracked but VGchartz adjusted them srry.. O.o

gipsy_jack said:

It should have sold something but this game is the perfect example of a lack of marketing.
Sales should be far far below Wonderbook, so VGC isn't even that far off with 0k.

At least it has a price drop for now (it might be vita only not sure)

tbone51 said:
JWeinCom said:
32K week 2... Doesn't look like it will hit a million at this rate, or even close. This game will need some seriously huge DLC to have any shot at decent sales. Honestly didn't anticipate it selling this poorly. Almost makes me feel bad.

I only thought this game would sell well because its a SSB for PS fans!!!! seriously where are the loyal fans!!! I think if the roster was better this game could of had a 250-300k opening week but now it looks terrible with sales!!! DLC and heavy bundling will be the only way this game gets over 1 mil, if not im saying 400k life time no sequel (they put so much into this game)

I bought the game (three copies actually.  Got them for 8 bucks each gonna trade at least two back in for a little profit).  After playing around with it for a bit, It's clear that this is not SSB for PS fans.

With Smash, Nintendo put their all into the game.  The used one of their top developers, hyped it to the moon, and stuffed it full of content.  The amount of stuff to do in Smash is obscene, especially for a genre that isn't known for having a lot of content.  Smash still features the best graphics to be found on the Wii (and I'd argue it looks as good if not better than PSASBR) and they went all out in terms of music.  Each stage features tons of different themes ranging from retro chiptune tracks to some amazing remixes, much of it originally recorded.  The battle system is refined and polished, the perfect blend of pick up and play accessibility and hidden depth.  In short, Nintendo set out to make an AAA title, and they did.

PSASBR is not an AAA title.  It's clear that the developers put little to no thought into the presentation.  Aside from a fun intro sequence, there is nothing of note.  The menus are lifeless.  Worse, the game is anemic.  There is one single player mode that is a simple gauntlet of matches.  Compare this to Smash's classic mode which featured quite a few different scenarios (metal opponents, team battles, fighting polygon team, Yoshi team, 3 vs 1 Giant, etc).  And that was just one mode!  You also had a long (if somewhat meandering) adventure mode, event mode (both offering coop mode), All Star Mode, a stage editor, a trophy collecting minigame, checklists to complete, home run contest, target contest, sticker collecting, diorama mode, and so on so forth.  Sony's online mode, sadly, isn't much better than Smash's was.  Superbot made a big fuss about this being a hardcore game, yet didn't add the 1v1 that the competitive community wants.  You're limited to 2v2 or FFA in unranked, and only FFA in ranked.  It's smooth at least, but in terms of feautres, it's nearly as limited as Smash and doesn't have an excellent single player mode to fall back on.

The battling system is also a bit disappointing, although I haven't been able to put it through its paces in 1v1.  Smash had things like DI, fast falling, autocancelling aerials, damage deterioration, spotdodging, powershielding, dashing, and so on.  These elements gave the game the depth that lied beneath its surface.  In comparison, PSASBR feels really rigid and limited.  It doesn't seem like the developers had a strong overall vision of what the combat should feel like and the game is lacking in options and depth.  Of course, maybe I'll feel differently once I find some people to play one on one with.  It's hard to really judge in free for all.

But in short, the difference between Smash and PSASBR is clear.  Smash was an all out effort that got abundant development time, TLC, and a top notch development team.  It was a love letter to its fans.  PSASBR is at worst an attempted cash in and at best an undercooked project.  Clearly, Sony did not put in the time and effort to make something that could truly rival the best fighters out there, and you could see it from the moment you get to the title screen.

Around the Network

I knew it was going to FLOP when they showed it at the E3. I kept falling asleep at my desk during the demo. lol!! Of course fanboys laughed and didn't believe me. I've worked in the business previously and can usually see a bad game coming. The game was desperately trying to be like SSBB, but just didn't come close. I'm shocked that it only sold 20K in Europe though, since these were the gamers who were praising it so much at the E3. Amazing that these gamers praise Sony's games, but don't support them with their wallets.

'gaming till I'm gone'

You are talking a lot but vgchartz show that it'll soon pass 500k... Digital Sales are in ?
So One million isn't really out of question.