By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

JWeinCom said:

Star Wars Unleashed was a multiplatform game and on the X-Box it sold 360K while the Wii and PS3 sales were about equal to PSASBR on their own.  Anyone who bought the 360 version obviously wasn't buying the PS3 version if they had both consoles, and the PS3 was much weaker at the time with a far smaller install base.

If we're just looking at fighting games, the data is too small to really show anything.  We don't see many new fighting IPs.  The most apt comparison here is obviously Smash Bros, but we don't even have week 1 data for that.

But no, I don't agree that Sony's roster isn't big enough to negate the new IP disadvantage.  I didn't expect Smash Bros like numbers, but I would think that, particularly on a Sony console, the combination of Sony's franchise should have been worth alot more, particularly with the pretty decent amount of advertising this game had. 

I think that, largely due to its roster, PSASBR received a lot more buzz and attention than most new IPs get.  It had tons of visibility.  People just didn't really like what they saw or played.  I think the sales of PSASBR are due to it being too derivitave and not looking to be all that good based on videos, demos, etc.

And Star Wars the Force Unleashed definitely benefitted from its license.  I've honestly never played it, but look at the sales.  The leading version of it sold 2.5 million copies.  This is more than Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, any Ninja Gaiden game, Heavenly Sword, and Infamous.  It's within spitting distance of games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect, and Bioshock for the 360.  Was Star Wars the Force Unleashed really THAT good that it should have sold THAT well?

Why include Wii and 360 figures for Star Wars? That gives it an unfair advantage over PABR.

I disagree. Sony's characters just are not big. But the argument is going in circles now since this is only going to be based on theory rather than facts. There is no way to truly know if Sony characters would have pushed the game, considering, as you said, it didn't have circumstances to even allow it to happen. Of the few games that did feature other Sony characters (Playstation MOVE heroes, Mortal Kombat, one of the Soul Caliburs I think, etc.), there didn't seem to be any noticeable increase in sales as a result.

PABR received a lot of buzz because it was a Smash Bros clone (or at least it was perceived that way), not because of it's roster. It would be difficult to find a single preview of the game that didn't compare it to Smash Bros. 

Star Wars also had pretty huge marketing when it released. And if I'm not mistaken, I think it was bundled as well. I'll have to look it up. Those factors should explain a decent amount of its sales. But remember, Star Wars is WAY bigger than any of Sony characters. If the Star Wars name helped a game, that doesn't mean Playstation mascots would do the same.

Around the Network

Wow, I'm shocked this thread is still going strong lol Guys why don't you all just stop commenting and this will all disappear. Nobody can prove this game is going to be a flop or not. You can make predictions but that is really all you can do.

For the people defending it, well the first week isn't looking good.  For the people against it, we don't know what next week will look like.  

I'm not going to lie, I don't think the game is that good and I've predicted 700k-900k without bundles but it doesn't mean I'll be right.  So everybody, relax now :)

Jay520 said:
JWeinCom said:

Star Wars Unleashed was a multiplatform game and on the X-Box it sold 360K while the Wii and PS3 sales were about equal to PSASBR on their own.  Anyone who bought the 360 version obviously wasn't buying the PS3 version if they had both consoles, and the PS3 was much weaker at the time with a far smaller install base.

If we're just looking at fighting games, the data is too small to really show anything.  We don't see many new fighting IPs.  The most apt comparison here is obviously Smash Bros, but we don't even have week 1 data for that.

But no, I don't agree that Sony's roster isn't big enough to negate the new IP disadvantage.  I didn't expect Smash Bros like numbers, but I would think that, particularly on a Sony console, the combination of Sony's franchise should have been worth alot more, particularly with the pretty decent amount of advertising this game had. 

I think that, largely due to its roster, PSASBR received a lot more buzz and attention than most new IPs get.  It had tons of visibility.  People just didn't really like what they saw or played.  I think the sales of PSASBR are due to it being too derivitave and not looking to be all that good based on videos, demos, etc.

And Star Wars the Force Unleashed definitely benefitted from its license.  I've honestly never played it, but look at the sales.  The leading version of it sold 2.5 million copies.  This is more than Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, any Ninja Gaiden game, Heavenly Sword, and Infamous.  It's within spitting distance of games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect, and Bioshock for the 360.  Was Star Wars the Force Unleashed really THAT good that it should have sold THAT well?

Why include Wii and 360 figures for Star Wars? That gives it an unfair advantage over PABR.

I disagree. Sony's characters just are not big. But the argument is going in circles now since this is only going to be based on theory rather than facts. There is no way to truly know if Sony characters would have pushed the game, considering, as you said, it didn't have circumstances to even allow it to happen. Of the few games that did feature other Sony characters (Playstation MOVE heroes, Mortal Kombat, one of the Soul Caliburs I think, etc.), there didn't seem to be any noticeable increase in sales as a result.

PABR received a lot of buzz because it was a Smash Bros clone (or at least it was perceived that way), not because of it's roster. It would be difficult to find a single preview of the game that didn't compare it to Smash Bros. 

Star Wars also had pretty huge marketing when it released. And if I'm not mistaken, I think it was bundled as well. I'll have to look it up. Those factors should explain a decent amount of its sales. But remember, Star Wars is WAY bigger than any of Sony characters. If the Star Wars name helped a game, that doesn't mean Playstation mascots would do the same.

Kind of going in circles here.  All I'll say is that I think that the game's had much more buzz than the average new IP and should have performed better than average IF the game actually looked worth playing to gamers.  If you disagree that's fine.

JWeinCom said:
Jay520 said:

Kind of going in circles here.  All I'll say is that I think that the game's had much more buzz than the average new IP and should have performed better than average IF the game actually looked worth playing to gamers.  If you disagree that's fine.

Thats just absolutly wrong. There have been tons of new IPs which recieved ridiculously more buzz than this game. LAIR, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Little BIG Planet, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music (I kid), Wii Fit (I don't kid), Zombie U, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Demon's Souls, BioShock, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noir, Madworld, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssy, Portal, Dead Space, Too Human, HAZE, Rage, Crysis, Ninja Blade, Epic Mickey, No More Heros, That Wii FPS that flopped that started with a C... and this is off the top of my head

All those games recieved tons more hype than this game and some of the ones I listed recieved barely any such as Demons Souls until the game released

And as ay linked in the other thread this game was at the very bottom of VGC novembers most wanted

The only way you can justify your claim is if you defined "buzz" as all the talk about it being the poor mans super smash... but that is negative and goes against "this game was soo hyped it was suppose to save the ps3 in 2006 lolz"

Around the Network

To add more, Batman, infamous(OMG infamous>>>>>prototype), sorcery, Heavy Rain(OMG SAME PEOPLE WHO DID [insert the game they did that I never played here]), Heavenly Sword, MAG(OMG 256 players online), Prototype (OMG PROTOTYPE>>>>>Infamous), Valkryie Chronicles (hype after release), White Knight Chronicles (OH MY GOD BEST RPG EVER!), Dantes Inferno (OH MY GOD GoW KILLER!), Skate (OH MY GOD TONY HAWK KILLER!), The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery (LOL SQUENIX LOVES 360 MOAR THAN PS3!),

Max King of the Wild said:
JWeinCom said:
Jay520 said:

Thats just absolutly wrong. There have been tons of new IPs which recieved ridiculously more buzz than this game. LAIR, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Little BIG Planet, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music (I kid), Wii Fit (I don't kid), Zombie U, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Demon's Souls, BioShock, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noir, Madworld, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssy, Portal, Dead Space, Too Human, HAZE, Rage, Crysis, Ninja Blade, Epic Mickey, No More Heros, That Wii FPS that flopped that started with a C... and this is off the top of my head

All those games recieved tons more hype than this game and some of the ones I listed recieved barely any such as Demons Souls until the game released

And as ay linked in the other thread this game was at the very bottom of VGC novembers most wanted

Eh... I didn't say it was the most hyped game ever, just above average.  Of the list you have, most of those are correct, but I don't think Madworld, No More Heroes, or the Conduit belong there.  Lost Odyssey doesn't belong their either, or Haze.   Those were only hyped among Wii fans craving third parties.

But you're just pointing out really hyped games, most of which were really good.  You're not comparing it to average games.

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:
Jay520 said:

Eh... I didn't say it was the most hyped game ever, just above average.  Of the list you have, most of those are correct, but I don't think Madworld, No More Heroes, or the Conduit belong there.  Lost Odyssey doesn't belong their either, or Haze.   Those were only hyped among Wii fans craving third parties.

But you're just pointing out really hyped games, most of which were really good.  You're not comparing it to average games.

Thank you it was the conduit.  Lost Oyssey belongs there because 360 fans hyped it to the extreme being the only JRPG on consoles at the time along with Blue Dragon but I didn't list that because it recieved a lot less. Madworld and Conduit? Are you crazy? those recieved extreme hype. The backlash Nintendo fans got when those sold well below expectations was immense. They got hyped because of the mature content and Conduit especially for impressive graphics on the Wii. No More Heros got a cult following after release as such games like Demons Souls and Valkyrie Chronicles. But make no mistake people followed all games and tried to hype them. They just didn't catch on till after their launches.

And HAZE... Oh... My... God... that game was titled the Halo killer by one crazy man(I think it was crazymann...) But it recieved more hype than PABR. It looked promising at first but the hype died real fast as more and more came out on it.

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:
Jay520 said:

Thank you it was the conduit.  Lost Oyssey belongs there because 360 fans hyped it to the extreme being the only JRPG on consoles at the time along with Blue Dragon but I didn't list that because it recieved a lot less. Madworld and Conduit? Are you crazy? those recieved extreme hype. The backlash Nintendo fans got when those sold well below expectations was immense. They got hyped because of the mature content and Conduit especially for impressive graphics on the Wii. No More Heros got a cult following after release as such games like Demons Souls and Valkyrie Chronicles. But make no mistake people followed all games and tried to hype them. They just didn't catch on till after their launches.

And HAZE... Oh... My... God... that game was titled the Halo killer by one crazy man(I think it was crazymann...) But it recieved more hype than PABR. It looked promising at first but the hype died real fast as more and more came out on it.

I think we're talking about different things here.  You're talking about things like hype among the hardcore gaming community where Madworld and the Conduit were indeed big deals.  I'm talking about things like media coverage, media event presence (E3, Gamescom, and events like EVO and Comiccon), commercials, marketing, playable store demos, betas, etc.  PSASBR never caught on among hardcore gaming segments, but it was well represented in the media and in other ways.

JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:
JWeinCom said:
Jay520 said:

I think we're talking about different things here.  You're talking about things like hype among the hardcore gaming community where Madworld and the Conduit were indeed big deals.  I'm talking about things like media coverage, media event presence (E3, Gamescom, and events like EVO and Comiccon), commercials, marketing, playable store demos, betas, etc.  PSASBR never caught on among hardcore gaming segments, but it was well represented in the media and in other ways.

Then the general view of PSASBR was a SSB ripoff with media coverage and recieved negative hype which kills your point