By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

it's doing better then Playstation Move Heroes! so stop hating!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Looks like sony bashers are having a meeting on this thread.Gee I wonder what they will talk about?lol

This thread is much to do about nothing.
1)Allstars is a rip off of nintendos game. 2) no one even cares about this game unless there a kid or in highschool. 3) Never expected this to do much anyway, if kids buy it they buy it otherwise no one cares really. 4) Sony is going after kids this holiday. 5) the holidays are not over yet.6) this is really not a triple AAA game like uncharted or god of war come on get serious.

Just stopped by to say that first week sales mean nothing. Surprised people are still bringing up the metascore. The game reviewed very well. When the only thing reviews had to complain about were; unattractive menus, it's not brawl and it's too much like brawl, you know they're just scraping to find reasons to give it a lower score.

4 ≈ One

JWeinCom said:

It's not like I expect EVERY GOW or Uncharted fan to pick up the game, but you'd expect that fans of those games would at the very least be curious about  the title.  Even with a cult classic like Parappa, you'd expect a decent amount of old parappa fans to want to check out the game.  I mean, I bought Tatsunoko vs Capcom just to play as Mega Man Volnutt.

And that's the problem I see here.  I can't say for certain, but I think the awareness and interest in this game pre launch was reasonably high.  I know the youtube ads and such had big numbers, and the game had VERY strong coverage on sites like IGN, stage time at E3, a free open beta, presence at Evo, and so on.  I would imagine that fans of these various franchises checked out the game and just said "meh".

That's the problem when you make a game like this.  People see it and think "oh that's like Smash Bros".  Whether that's fair or not is a discussion for another day, but it's hard to deny that at least on a superficial level people see PSASBR and think Smash.  And it's hard for them to get really excited about something that's already been done incredibly well.  Sony needs to do a much better job of differentiating their products from their competitors.  

Sure, they would be curious about the game, but that doesn't mean they would pick it up. Just like a Star Wars fan wouldn't necessarily just buy Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because they're familiar with the story. Star Wars and this game both face the same disadvanteges as a standard new Ip. Consumers do not know anything about this game aside from what it looks like on the surface. That's not enough to not consider as any other new Ip.

Jay520 said:
JWeinCom said:

It's not like I expect EVERY GOW or Uncharted fan to pick up the game, but you'd expect that fans of those games would at the very least be curious about  the title.  Even with a cult classic like Parappa, you'd expect a decent amount of old parappa fans to want to check out the game.  I mean, I bought Tatsunoko vs Capcom just to play as Mega Man Volnutt.

And that's the problem I see here.  I can't say for certain, but I think the awareness and interest in this game pre launch was reasonably high.  I know the youtube ads and such had big numbers, and the game had VERY strong coverage on sites like IGN, stage time at E3, a free open beta, presence at Evo, and so on.  I would imagine that fans of these various franchises checked out the game and just said "meh".

That's the problem when you make a game like this.  People see it and think "oh that's like Smash Bros".  Whether that's fair or not is a discussion for another day, but it's hard to deny that at least on a superficial level people see PSASBR and think Smash.  And it's hard for them to get really excited about something that's already been done incredibly well.  Sony needs to do a much better job of differentiating their products from their competitors.  

Sure, they would be curious about the game, but that doesn't mean they would pick it up. Just like a Star Wars fan wouldn't necessarily just buy Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because they're familiar with the story. Star Wars and this game both face the same disadvanteges as a standard new Ip. Consumers do not know anything about this game aside from what it looks like on the surface. That's not enough to not consider as any other new Ip.

But... Star Wars the force unleashed sold in excess of a million copies across the three systems in its first week.  Even the Wii version sold about 250K despite nobody ever buying non-Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles ever.  The games reviews weren't any better than PSASBR.  Do you really think that the force Unleashed would have sold that well if it was a completely new IP without a popular license?  Not a chance in hell.  Star Wars the Force Unleashed benefited greatly from being part of a well established IP.  It had a HUGE leg up on actual new IPs. 

So, if Star Wars got such a huge bump due to its license, why not PSASBR?  I don't expect Sony's franchises to have the same kind of following Star Wars does, but considering that they have their biggest franchises reprecented and they have an audience completely comprised of gamers, shouldn't we expect SOME boost over an actual new IP which features no recognizable characters?  Kratos, Drake, Ratchet, Jak, Sackboy, and Cole have to be worth SOMETHING don't they?

So, we come to one of two conclusions.  Either

A) The collective value of Sony's franchises is absolutely nothing.

or

B) People thought Playstation All-Stars looked like crap.

Either way, not good for Sony.  If I was a Sony fan, I'd be rooting for B.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

But... Star Wars the force unleashed sold in excess of a million copies across the three systems in its first weeks.  Even the Wii version sold about 250K.  The games reviews weren't any better than PSASBR.  Do you really think that the force Unleashed would have sold that well if it was a completely new IP without a popular license?  Not a chance in hell.  Star Wars the Force Unleashed benefited greatly from being part of a well established IP.  It had a HUGE leg up on actual new IPs. 

So, if Star Wars got such a huge bump due to its license, why not PSASBR?  I don't expect Sony's franchises to have the same kind of following Star Wars does, but considering that they have their biggest franchises reprecented and they have an audience completely comprised of gamers, shouldn't we expect SOME boost over an actual new IP which features no recognizable characters?  Kratos, Drake, Ratchet, Jak, Sackboy, and Cole have to be worth SOMETHING don't they?

or

Star War's First Week isn't much better than PABR's First Week. In USA, Star Wars opened to 160k versus PABR's 130k. It trounced it in Europe though, but that can be attributed to the demographic taste, rather than the two options you've suggested. And we still haven't received Japan First Week Sales. And we don't know digital sales either. Add in digital sales and Japan sales and I wouldn't be surprised if PABR and Stars Wars were a statistical tie. 

Star Wars was a bad example though. Not only is it one of the biggest IPs in all of entertainment (much larger than Uncharted, God of War, etc). But it's also in the action adventure genre, which is much more prosperous than the fighting genre.  Here's a better example: Take a game like Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe. Do you think just because it added DC universe characters (who are much bigger than Sony's characters), the game would see a large opening as a result? Of course not. Same goes for nearly every movie adaptation as well. Just because they had recognizable characters doesn't mean consumers would pick them up. 

@ the bolded. Yes! I've said earlier that Sony's characters are not popular. though not to the extreme of "absolutely nothing." Merely having characters isn't going to offset the fact that it's a new IP, especially on a console where fighters haven't been doing incredibly well, and certainly not characters as small as Sony's characters. I honestly believe only various Nintendo characters are big enough for that. You should have expected as much beforehand. But you seem to agree with me that Sony's characters are not big enough to negate the game's disadvantages. So I take it you agree with me?

EDIT: For the record, I do think Star Wars would have done similarly without the Star Wars name. It was a well-made action adventure game, which seem to be doing well this generation. Star Wars had a great opening because it was a fun game. I also should say that I do believe certain characters can bypass the disadvantages of being a new IP, but they need to be much bigger than Sony's characters.

I just hope it sells enough to warrant a sequel, in which they'll tweak the flaws of the original and create an even more diverse and fun cast

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
I feel that should be enough pezus.

Make a voting poll thread and see who was right. Was it hyped or not.

Lol, polls like that don't work and you know it. You still haven't given me proof. I could name the people that thought it would be a huge seller on one hand.

Edit: And then you already did that...lulz

this is exactly why i left the sight for 2 years. Too many people claiming something was hyped up because of crazymann and leo-j predicting crazy numbers that any game would have problems reaching. Its ridiculous.

Wrong thread.

Jay520 said:
JWeinCom said:

But... Star Wars the force unleashed sold in excess of a million copies across the three systems in its first weeks.  Even the Wii version sold about 250K.  The games reviews weren't any better than PSASBR.  Do you really think that the force Unleashed would have sold that well if it was a completely new IP without a popular license?  Not a chance in hell.  Star Wars the Force Unleashed benefited greatly from being part of a well established IP.  It had a HUGE leg up on actual new IPs. 

or

Star War's First Week isn't much better than PABR's First Week. In USA, Star Wars opened to 160k versus PABR's 130k. It trounced it in Europe though, but that can be attributed to the demographic taste, rather than the two options you've suggested. And we still haven't received Japan First Week Sales. And we don't know digital sales either. Add in digital sales and Japan sales and I wouldn't be surprised if PABR and Stars Wars were a statistical tie. 

Star Wars was a bad example though. Not only is it one of the biggest IPs in all of entertainment (much larger than Uncharted, God of War, etc). But it's also in the action adventure genre, which is much more prosperous than the fighting genre.  Here's a better example: Take a game like Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe. Do you think just because it added DC universe characters (who are much bigger than Sony's characters), the game would see a large opening as a result? Of course not. Same goes for nearly every movie adaptation as well. Just because they had recognizable characters doesn't mean consumers would pick them up. 

@ the bolded. Yes! I've said earlier that Sony's characters are not popular. though not to the extreme of "absolutely nothing." Merely having characters isn't going to offset the fact that it's a new IP, especially on a console where fighters haven't been doing incredibly well, and certainly not characters as small as Sony's characters. I honestly believe only various Nintendo characters are big enough for that. You should have expected as much beforehand. But you seem to agree with me that Sony's characters are not big enough to negate the game's disadvantages. So I take it you agree with me?

EDIT: For the record, I do think Star Wars would have done similarly without the Star Wars name. It was a well-made action adventure game, which seem to be doing well this generation. Star Wars had a great opening because it was a fun game. I also should say that I do believe certain characters can bypass the disadvantages of being a new IP, but they need to be much bigger than Sony's characters.

Star Wars Unleashed was a multiplatform game and on the X-Box it sold 360K while the Wii and PS3 sales were about equal to PSASBR on their own.  Anyone who bought the 360 version obviously wasn't buying the PS3 version if they had both consoles, and the PS3 was much weaker at the time with a far smaller install base.

If we're just looking at fighting games, the data is too small to really show anything.  We don't see many new fighting IPs.  The most apt comparison here is obviously Smash Bros, but we don't even have week 1 data for that.

But no, I don't agree that Sony's roster isn't big enough to negate the new IP disadvantage.  I didn't expect Smash Bros like numbers, but I would think that, particularly on a Sony console, the combination of Sony's franchise should have been worth alot more, particularly with the pretty decent amount of advertising this game had. 

I think that, largely due to its roster, PSASBR received a lot more buzz and attention than most new IPs get.  It had tons of visibility.  People just didn't really like what they saw or played.  I think the sales of PSASBR are due to it being too derivitave and not looking to be all that good based on videos, demos, etc.

And Star Wars the Force Unleashed definitely benefitted from its license.  I've honestly never played it, but look at the sales.  The leading version of it sold 2.5 million copies.  This is more than Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, any Ninja Gaiden game, Heavenly Sword, and Infamous.  It's within spitting distance of games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect, and Bioshock for the 360.  Was Star Wars the Force Unleashed really THAT good that it should have sold THAT well?