By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 1.2 million hardware units sold, 400,000 Wii U

Euphoria14 said:
milkyjoe said:
We're seeing the lacking 3DS holiday lineup in the west in effect right there.

Wii U numbers need more context (how much did they ship?).

They must have shipped more than they sold because a quick check on Walmart.com shows that 90% of stores within 35 miles of me have both versions in stock.

My zip code is 11784, Selden, NY.

They may have gotten a stock after BF

Around the Network
Nintendogamer13 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Roar_Of_War said:

How did the Wii and DS jump up so high? Last week they weren't even near 100,000. Unless Reggie is talking worldwide sales here (and the Wii U is only out in the US, I believe).

DS is $99.

Quick question: regular DSi or XL?

They had both for $99. DSi bundles were $119 and DSi XL bundles were $129.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Roma said:
Turkish said:
400,000 Wiius? Not sure how I feel about that. And more DS sold than 3DS??

let me guess. you feel the Vita will sell more correct?

well seems like Nintendo could not ship more Wii U's

Tell me why you are guessing that? Why do you bring up the Vita? Just because I happen to be a Sony guy in your eyes? Is that it?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I thought Wii U had 500,000 pre-orders at GameStop alone. What am I missing?

Nintendo expects to produce 5.5 million Wii U's total for global availability by March 2013

500k of those are allotted to GameStop.... not for the launch week but until March 2013

So 400k sold in first week across all US retailers sounds right to me, each week will have more and it will continue to sell into Christmas and probably into the next year if it follows the pattern of the Wii.

Major retailer like Amazon didn't even get any Wii U's (they have some pissy issue with Nintendo they need to resolve).

What surprises me is that the 3DS sales are lower than last year. Significantly lower... but it may be all the Nintendo fan dollars going to Wii U. It's very clear that finite amount of money exists with each fan base and they tend to spend on their gaming platform of choice over any other. The casuals are the swing voters which is why game companies try to get them to buy the system (easier to convert to Nintendo - get em young and hook em for life).

Oh GAF lol I found that pretty good joke.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44762931&postcount=105

Around the Network

I guessed 500,000 for the wii u. 1.2 million for all the systems is still really good.

kopstudent89 said:
Euphoria14 said:
milkyjoe said:
We're seeing the lacking 3DS holiday lineup in the west in effect right there.

Wii U numbers need more context (how much did they ship?).

They must have shipped more than they sold because a quick check on Walmart.com shows that 90% of stores within 35 miles of me have both versions in stock.

My zip code is 11784, Selden, NY.

They may have gotten a stock after BF

That's the thing though. They claimed sell outs, then had more for Black Friday (4 days later), claim sellouts again and have more in stores 4 days later? Many were even able to find WiiU consoles the day after Black Friday.

If there are indeed shortages I think they may be intentionally undershipping, especially since they supposedly had 500k worth of preorders at Gamestop alone.

Wii experienced shortages after 600k worth of sales for the first week in the US and I don't think they expected the level of demand it got. It also had people camping outside of stores in the freezing cold just to try and nab one.

Here you can just walk into your local store and pick one up.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Meh. Considering that the first batch of Wii U's sold out pretty quickly and that Nintendo said Wii U would have bigger shipments than the Wii I thought the first week would be much bigger than this.

We had a thread laying around here where we predicted the holiday sales for all of the platforms. I remember saying that the Wii would do great numbers at $100 and that the 360 and PS3 would still outsell it (since that's the case for every hardware launch, ever). Anybody know where that thread is?

I am not surprised about the sales for the DS and Wii. Cant go wrong with the prices for both the DS and Wii. Plus I want the wii to pass 100 million units sold before the year is up. Its going to be close. If they can still sell some thats great news for Nintendo.