By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 1.2 million hardware units sold, 400,000 Wii U

Nintendogamer13 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

And yet we hear people talking about disappointing Wii U sales...?

I recommend reading the entire OP before posting.

So it's more of a stocking issue than low sales if I understand you correctly?

For Wii U yes... for 3DS is bad sales.

Now I'm thinking the Vita have chance to outsell 3DS in BF... the bundled deal was really good.

Around the Network

Wait a minute. Does last week mean monday to sunday(yesterday)? So no first day sales of Wii U ?

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Why is it so odd to people?

Nintendo was able to ship ~400k units for launch and the beginning of BF week. (to NA / US only)

Gamestop had ~500k preorders (likely rounded up). They have not received that many units and are still calling people. Many were probably scalpers or people who simply have not claimed their units.

I thought they'd only ship 350k, so they did better than I figured. Keep in mind that this is with ZERO BlackFriday related advertisements for WiiU as well.

Now that stock is starting to flow more regularly, expect to see WiiU in the next few weeks advertisements (print and TV) which is where the mass market will have a far bigger view of the console and the limited stock available should deplete quickly throughout xmas.

Also the combined launches of EU/AUS and Japan over the next few weeks should result in big Worldwide numbers.

VicViper said:
Train wreck said:
Reggie's statement from 2006:

Nintendo of America on Monday announced that it had sold more than 600,000 Wii units since the console's launch and that with first-party and accessory sales the system had brought in $190 million in its first week.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

As expected, The Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the best-selling Wii game, with 454,000 copies sold to day. That means 75% of all Wii owners are also playing Zelda.

The Big N originally stated that it planned to ready about a million consoles for the debut in the Americas. Despite the smaller number of units available at launch, Nintendo is still expected to make close to four million Wii systems available for purchase before year's

Source... and date? If this for one week, yeah, bigger than Wii U.

But like always... 3DS and Wii U will never be the DS and Wii.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/11/28/wii-sells-through-600k

Train wreck said:
Reggie's statement from 2006:

Nintendo of America on Monday announced that it had sold more than 600,000 Wii units since the console's launch and that with first-party and accessory sales the system had brought in $190 million in its first week.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

As expected, The Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the best-selling Wii game, with 454,000 copies sold to day. That means 75% of all Wii owners are also playing Zelda.

The Big N originally stated that it planned to ready about a million consoles for the debut in the Americas. Despite the smaller number of units available at launch, Nintendo is still expected to make close to four million Wii systems available for purchase before year's

I was just about to post that.

http://www.1up.com/news/wii-sells-600k-units-week

Which makes it ~67% of Wii's first week. Doesn't mean it's bad though. Wii was a phenomenon. It would be extremely unlikely to replicate that kind of start.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Roar_Of_War said:

How did the Wii and DS jump up so high? Last week they weren't even near 100,000. Unless Reggie is talking worldwide sales here (and the Wii U is only out in the US, I believe).

Wii is $89.

DS is $99.

WiiU = $300+

3DS = $170+

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

milkyjoe said:
We're seeing the lacking 3DS holiday lineup in the west in effect right there.

Wii U numbers need more context (how much did they ship?).

They must have shipped more than they sold because a quick check on Walmart.com shows that 90% of stores within 35 miles of me have both versions in stock.

My zip code is 11784, Selden, NY.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Roar_Of_War said:

How did the Wii and DS jump up so high? Last week they weren't even near 100,000. Unless Reggie is talking worldwide sales here (and the Wii U is only out in the US, I believe).

DS is $99.

Quick question: regular DSi or XL?

Wii U is decent, really depends on shipment numbers, but I've said that launch numbers are hindered in the latter weeks. I think the Wii U's launch date is a bit wrong.

And 3DS... oh my 3DS. That's a horrible number. Less than half last year!!!!!!!!! That's what happens when they neglect it in the West :|

Wii and DS on the other hand are absolute monsters! WOW!

Gamestop.com availability:

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/consoles?nav=16k-wii+u,13ffff2412

If gamestop truly has a backlog, why not ship consoles available online to stores?