By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: 1.2 million hardware units sold, 400,000 Wii U

How did the Wii and DS jump up so high? Last week they weren't even near 100,000. Unless Reggie is talking worldwide sales here (and the Wii U is only out in the US, I believe).

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

And yet we hear people talking about disappointing Wii U sales...?

I recommend reading the entire OP before posting.

So it's more of a stocking issue than low sales if I understand you correctly?

drkohler said:

How so? WiiU isn't out WW. 400k is actually extremely low (Considering Gamestop alone bragged about 500k proerders)

Well you know even if Gamestop have 500k preorders but received just 150k Wii U then they sold only 150k consoles the other 350k guys are in the waiting list.

Reggie's statement from 2006:

Nintendo of America on Monday announced that it had sold more than 600,000 Wii units since the console's launch and that with first-party and accessory sales the system had brought in $190 million in its first week.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

As expected, The Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the best-selling Wii game, with 454,000 copies sold to day. That means 75% of all Wii owners are also playing Zelda.

The Big N originally stated that it planned to ready about a million consoles for the debut in the Americas. Despite the smaller number of units available at launch, Nintendo is still expected to make close to four million Wii systems available for purchase before year's

We're seeing the lacking 3DS holiday lineup in the west in effect right there.

Wii U numbers need more context (how much did they ship?).

VGChartz

Around the Network
Nintendogamer13 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately."

And yet we hear people talking about disappointing Wii U sales...?

I recommend reading the entire OP before posting.

So it's more of a stocking issue than low sales if I understand you correctly?

That's not me. That's Reggie talking :P

I think these numbers are pretty good for the wii u. The important thing is that it has "sold out".
As someone earlier stated you can't sell what isn't there.

Regarding the 3DS I see no reason for concern. Reggie made it clear that stores have been knocking out the DS at bargain basement prices, or as he put it "significant deals".

You don't expect people to turn up their noses at such a bargain, do you?

Come the end of the year the picture will be much clearer.

RolStoppable said:
Disappointing numbers for Wii U and 3DS.

Wii U was old out at every store I went to last week.  If Nintendo sold thru almost all that they shipped, that's not a bad thing....though it would have been nice it they would have shipped 700,000+ units, and sold out. 

Stop hating and start playing.

400 000k in 8 days ? What a disappointing sales !

Train wreck said:
Reggie's statement from 2006:

Nintendo of America on Monday announced that it had sold more than 600,000 Wii units since the console's launch and that with first-party and accessory sales the system had brought in $190 million in its first week.

"Even with sales already in excess of 600,000 units, demand continues to exceed supply, as it's clear this is one of the 'gotta-have' products for the holiday season," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "We've shipped retailers several times the amount of hardware the other company was able to deliver for its launch around the same time -- and we still sold out. Given the inclusive nature of Wii game play, we're seeing this new form of video gaming is already a huge hit with gamers and newcomers alike. It continues to be a phenomenal launch."

As expected, The Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess was the best-selling Wii game, with 454,000 copies sold to day. That means 75% of all Wii owners are also playing Zelda.

The Big N originally stated that it planned to ready about a million consoles for the debut in the Americas. Despite the smaller number of units available at launch, Nintendo is still expected to make close to four million Wii systems available for purchase before year's

Source... and date? If this for one week, yeah, bigger than Wii U.

But like always... 3DS and Wii U will never be the DS and Wii. Nintendo created disruptive beasts with them